Chapter 51.

Luz turned on the television and saw the latest news. It turned out that what she said was right. Michael's son, James, had really turned into a criminal.

Luz scoffed.

"What did I say?" Luz folded her arms and crossed her arms.

As Luz continued to listen to the news, she was surprised at what she was hearing. He had got to be a worldwide criminal like her.

It was frightening to others, but funny to her.

"I can't wait to see what'll happen between Michael and James." Luz snickered. "A fight between father and son. Ah, won't that be a fight to see and enjoy."

Luz stretched her arms and yawned.

Then she heard a knock on the door.

"Yo, yo, yo!" Luz covered her ears. "You're too loud..." She looked up and she gasped.

"Gabriel? Arthur? Isabella!? How did you-?" Gabriel laughed. They all hugged each other warmly and gently and started to talk.

"So? How's that Amity girl doing?" Luz shot up and started to blush. "Oh Luz." He sighed and shook his head.

"What happened?" Arthur asked and Gabriel looked at him. "If there's anything I know about you, you never give up on one thing that you love."

"She actually loves me too..." Luz got flustered and rubbed the back of her neck, out of embarrassment and looked at the other side.

"That woman put you at the very verge of death, she married someone else and she loves you? More of like she despised you. I don't know a human being or even a dead one that has done something like that."

Luz grinned and looked at Isabella.

"Isabella? Is anything wrong? You haven't spoken." She decided to change the topic. Luz held her hand and Isabella shook her head.

"I just don't like seeing my closest friend on a hospital bed like this. It's scary, it's terrifying, it's horrible." Luz frowned and so did the others.

Luz hated being on this hospital bed. She wanted to go outside, she wanted to explore the world, and see nature once again. Play the piano and discover new things.

But all of that couldn't happen. Luz was aware that this sickness was in the family, from the mother's side.

"Me too, Isabella. Waking up every single day, hearing beeping sounds, seeing hospital materials and laying on a bed is tiring, it's sad. But to be honest, there's really nothing I can do."

"I don't know whether the doctor might have told you, but..." Luz gulped.

"I might not stay in this world for long. If anything happens to me, I can just collapse and die, right on the spot."

They gasped at what Luz had uttered from her mouth and they all shook their heads and sighed. Luz apologised for what she couldn't do with them and they reassured her.

"It's painful, I know. But there's nothing to do about it. This life I've lived was truly a terrible one, I wouldn't even mind leaving it. But I'm truly grateful that amazing people like you were able to enter such a life like mine." Luz hugged all of them and they all started crying.

"Nothing truly lasts forever, does it."

...

Again, Amity came by herself and it was already sunset. Luz could see how everywhere was becoming a tad dark and felt the cold breeze on her skin.

"Hey."

"Hi."

Amity brought a chair close to Luz and there was silence. Minutes later, Luz turned to look at Amity who was shivering. Luz touched her cheek and it was cold.

"Yikes! That's colder than ice!" Luz immediately stood up and closed the windows and carried Amity, bridal style.

For a hospital bed, there was space and Luz gently laid her down beside her.

"Aren't you cold?" Luz shook her head. "No matter how fragile I look, I don't get-"

Luz sneezed. "Scratch that. Mind if we share?" Luz blew her nose and Amity giggled.

"You're so warm..." Luz blushed and she started to pat her head.

"I remember when you used to do this. It was so calming. Oh, I truly missed those days. And you would sing a lullaby that went like this-"

Luz started humming and at a point, she stopped. "That one?" Amity nodded with excitement.

"Did your mother sing it when you were... still very young?"

She shook her head.

"My mother was usually so 'busy'. Screaming at my father, drinking and smoking excessively. She would even abuse the drugs that were prescribed to her by the doctor because of her failed lungs."

Amity frowned and looked at her.

"If you don't mind, could you tell me more about your mother and father? Maybe... also your younger self?"

"It's alright if you don't want to! I-" Luz patted her head and gave her a warm smile.

"I'll tell you. And there's a little something in this story that'll shock you." She sighed and started.

"Before all of that started happening, my father would always come back home with toys I wanted. My family was a really wealthy one, but when all that abuse started, they would get so drunk, it would made them tear my clothes."

"He was such a procrastinator. My mother still worked a little and got so stressed, I had to give her my good lung and now, I'm suffering like this."

"My father needed some money and then he went to debt."

"But was he able to repay it back?" Amity asked and frowned. Luz shook her head and laughed.

"By anything, he didn't even pay a dime." Luz kept on laughing and Amity frowned.

"I paid everything for him some years after I killed him. His debtors kept on pestering me and I eventually paid them so that they could get off my shoulders."

Amity smiled a little out of relief.

"What about your neighbours? Why didn't they do anything!?"

Luz laughed awkwardly and Amity tilted her head in confusion. "About that..."

"When I saw your mother, something looked familiar. I searched about her and uh..."

"She was our neighbour. Edric and Emira might have seen me before all the abuse started but not when it was happening and after."

"Your mother sold the house and left that place as soon as she heard that there was a 'murder' in my house."

Amity held her hand in anger and furrowed her eyebrows. If her mother was alive, she would have shouted at her, even punched her. She hated her attitude and how she always did things.

"She never even bothered. Maybe she always thought that she was high class, better than us in every way possible; not even trying to help/talk to my father and/or mother."

"Despite the fact we were still richer than her." Luz laughed that even her stomach started to pain her.

"It's fine Amity. I so understand your anger. It really pained me to be a joke to other people who were living their best lives."

"I've put enough of those so-called parents of mine."