Chapter 43.

Some days had passed by and she was in her former house in Los Angeles. She had been reading books to little children, as they knew that she was a criminal.

But they found it "cool."

Luz had found plenty of books of herself. "Love and Kill", "The Horrendous Criminal", "God Forsaken". She frowned at all the titles of these books and the description of those books almost made a tear roll from her eye.

The day before Amity was getting married, Edric and Emira had visited Luz.

Luz was cleaning the house and they entered the house. "Hey Luz!" Emira waved and Luz looked at her.

"Woah." They paused and went back in surprise. In not seeing Luz for some years, their eyes really saw something.

They saw her lifeless eyes, the wounds on her cheeks and a scar on her left eye and a piercing on her ear.

"Luz, what happened!? How did you get this wound and-" Luz held Emira's hand and told her to calm down and sit down.

Some minutes later, Luz had made them some tea and they all sat down and talked like mature adults. Luz had discussed with them about what she had experienced in The Breakout and that terrible thing she had experienced before she went to France.

"Surprisingly, it was your sister that paid the scientist to make my pain worse." Luz crossed her leg and sipped from her barley tea as she closed her eyes, vividly remembering that memory, as clear as day.

Edric and Emira's mouth were wide opened. They were both too stunned to speak. Their younger sister, almost killed a person who was willing to change? They couldn't just believe it.

"I don't believe it!" Edric exclaimed and slammed his hand on the table. Luz looked at him with her brown, droopy eyes.

"Let me show you something." Luz put down her collar and they saw a number.

"269." Emira said out loud and Edric looked at her. "They put this on all the prisoners before they leave the prison."

"And that's not all."

Luz adjusted her trousers and she put her legs on the couch, resting her chin  in-between her knees. She also showed them her hands that were also wounded.

God forbid they want something like that on their own bodies.

"Is this enough proof for you?" She adjusted back her trousers and sighed, sipping her tea once again.

Edric cleared his throat.

"It's enough, thank you." Edric dropped the tea cup on the blue artistic saucer.

"By the way, we came here to tell you something." Emira and Edric looked at each other and they sighed, hoping that thing wouldn't get worse than this.

"Amity's getting married next week."

Luz paused.

"Married? Oh."

"Well," Luz started. "I wish her and her partner a good marriage." Luz continued sipping her tea and Edric slammed the table.

"Enough of this! You're pained, just show it!" Emira crossed her arms and started to nod, in agreement of what he said.

"Excuse me?" Luz gave Edric a deadly stare and he kept quiet and cleared his throat.

"Never would I be pained because of someone's marriage, someone's happiness. I'm not that desperate."

"I have no reason to be pained. It's her marriage, not mine, so she might as well just enjoy it." She shrugged and continued to sip the tea.

They knew very well that when Emira had told her about Amity finding a partner, her hope totally got destroyed. Love wasn't found in Luz's heart anymore.

"By the way, am I invited? I actually want to meet her partner and Amity herself." Edric nodded and he stood up and left.

Emira saw him shut the door and she looked at her brown eyes, as Luz saw her golden eyes.

"Your eye reminds me of her." Luz smiled and scoffed.

"Well. She has a life to live, and so do I. It's very much preferable to just never speak with her again. She even made my life a living hell." She scoffed once more.

"I believe your brother is waiting for you outside?"

Emira stood up and thanked her for the tea and left.

Luz went to her room and collected a white, blank paper. She brought out a black pen and she started to write a poem with her very exquisite, and beautiful handwriting.

Oh, what life you have lived,
Enjoying moments and feelings,
Yet leaving other people and giving love to others.
Only God could bless me with marvelous smiles that didn't last,
But admiring the golden eyes like sunshine that I sighted.
Despite all that, you were blessed with another and moved on.

Love is a beautiful thing,
Yet so cruel to all of us.

But people still have hope in those little, fragile hearts of theirs.
And they find someone perfect for them,
Not giving a single thing to anyone,
But to love them and adore them with their once broken but now mended hearts.

                                               - From L.N.

As Luz wrote this, she felt sad. Someone really loved her but she was gone. All she could really do was to stay on the sidelines and support them.

She folded the paper with care and kept it in a drawer.

She switched off the lights and went outside, deciding to take a stroll. When she went to her closet, she saw the beanie that Amity had given her.

She sighed and kept it back and she went outside. She locked her door and she walked outside, kicking small rocks on the sandy floor that she was walking on.

She passed by people who were exercising, talking to each other and having great smiled on their faces, even people who were alone and admiring the skies.

Some minutes later, Luz had bought a jelly donut and she sat on a bench, where someone was also there.

"What's up?" The stranger asked and Luz looked at her.

"Today's not really going well for me." She crossed her arms and the stranger frowned.

"I can see it. Sometimes I just come here whenever I'm stressed, whenever I just need to forget about something things."

"But when I leave, I still know that I have some things to deal with." The stranger laughed and looked at Luz.

"Well, I know for sure one thing. If today isn't going alright, tomorrow has to be good."

Luz doubted that sentence.

It was the marriage of her ex-girlfriend, how was that day for her even going to be good, talk of even manageable?