Three-A Life of Significance 1.3

Eric

I hear an irritated sigh as I'm shutting down Max's computer and the projector in the conference room.  I look up to see it's just Tris and me remaining.  I notice her rise from her seat and step out.  I continue to turn off the settings on the machine and unplug the cords. 
"What do you want?" Tris asks annoyed. 
"I said I was sorry.  Can't you just forget it?" Four pleads. 
"No," she replies. 
I finish the sequence and grab Max's computer.  I flip off the lights to the room and leave the door open.  I cross the hall to put Max's computer away and I notice Four following her down the hallway to her office.  It looks like she's pretty upset with him.  I'm not leaving them alone but I set his computer down to free up my hands.  I step back out to the hallway to see him blocking the exit from her office. 
"Just talk to me, will you?  Give me another chance?" Four pleads. 
I hear an exasperated huff coming from Tris and I stride down the hallway. 
"Move," she demands with her arms crossed defensively over her chest.  Four remains where he is ignoring her. 
"I suggest you listen.  A leader just gave you an order," I tell Four evenly. 
He looks over his shoulder just noticing my presence for the first time.  It appears as if he's having an inner battle—does he do what we've both said and lose his opportunity to talk with her?  Or does he press his way and risk the consequences? 
He moves aside and lets her through. 
'Pansy,' I think. 
I walk her out of her office and hail the elevator with the forceful push of the down button.  I escort her in and block the entrance shaking my head at him as he attempts to join us.  He sighs roughly and looks to Tris pleadingly.
"No.  Take a different one.  I don't want to talk to you," Tris replies. 
I chuckle and press the button to close the doors.  I wave to Four tauntingly. 
I actually hear Tris laugh.  "Thanks," she says appreciatively. 
"What's his problem?" I ask motioning to the closed elevator door. 
"He doesn't give up when he's told no," she responds. 
"Oh?" I ask curiously. 
She sighs and glances at me.  "Do you really want to know?" she asks me cautiously. 
"Sure," I shrug.  "Any news about Four's discomfort is good news."
She laughs lightly at that. 
"He told me to choose between leadership or him.  I chose my future over a man I barely know and clearly don't want to know any further if he doesn't let me make my own decisions," she admits easily. 
I chuckle at that. 
"He only spent a week in training.  I wonder what his problem is," I reply.  "He made suggestions and didn't like my responses so he bailed.  He's a weak-willed pansy and a coward."
"What'd he say?" she asks curiously. 
"He wanted to turn Dauntless into Amity.  I called him out on it and he immediately quit instead of coming up with a rebuttal," I tell her. 
"That's strange.  Maybe he should've gone there.  He probably would have been more happy," she admits. 
"You think he missed the soil and got the coal instead?" I grin. 
She doubles over laughing as we arrive to the lowest floor of this section.  She straightens out as we step out of the elevator still smiling.  I see his elevator is three floors up and descending. 
"You want to avoid him in the Pit?" I question. 
"Yes," she nods. 
"Come on," I insist putting my hand around her back and escorting her through this floor down a hallway to the freight elevator.  I place my hand on the console and it opens up for us.  I press the close button as his arrival chimes down the hallway. 
"Thank you," she tells me as the doors close and we begin our descent.
"No problem.  I like to avoid Four, too," I admit and she grins at me. 
"He really quit?" she questions. 
"He did," I nod.  There's silence between us for a while as we ride the elevator down through the massive height of the Pit.  "Was he really trying to push his biases onto you?" I question. 
"That's what Christina said, too," she tells me. 
"Smart girl," I point out. 
"But you two don't always see eye to eye," she comments. 
"You mean the Chasm thing?" I ask.  She nods.  "I would've done the same for anyone who did what she did.  My predecessor would have pointed to the door to Factionless and that would've been the end if it.  I thought I was being fair for giving her another way to prove her courage and dedication to Dauntless."
I glance back to her and she nods in understanding.  "Lydia told me about him.  Egan, right?" she asks. 
I nod, "Definitely not my favorite leader."
"Reading about Dauntless history, he's not my favorite either," she says. 
"You're reading our history?" I question. 
"I am.  I asked some questions and Lydia gave me the files," she replies. 
"Maybe I should read them, too," I respond. 
"They're pretty interesting," she says smiling at me. 
We arrive to the ground floor of the Pit and the doors open.  I lead her the back way to the cafeteria.  We get in line for dinner together, Four already seated with his friends eyeing us both.  I ignore him and so does she. 
Tris sits beside me this time at the leadership table.  Ryan immediately notices and whispers in my ear asking what's going on.  I shrug dismissively. 
He continues on his food. 
Tris chats lightly with me at dinner and I can't believe how much has changed—how the dynamic between us has been completely altered.  I relish every single moment of it and I'm so incredibly grateful for the chance to truly get to know her.  She's hilarious and has all of leadership laughing at her jokes.  Zeke was right. 
"I assume you're not going drinking tonight?" Ryan whispers in my ear. 
"Nah, but you two could go without me," I admit. 
"It's been ages since I've gone out with Zeke," he replies. 
"My leadership training was not that long ago," I point out. 
"In Dauntless, that's like a lifetime," he teases and I snort in response. 
After dinner, I walk Tris back home.  Her apartment is across from mine. 
"Not going out tonight?" she asks. 
"Nah, I'm not up for it," I tell her shaking my head. 
"I'm always bored out of my mind in my apartment.  I'm not used to the quiet and being by myself," she admits.  "I even went out over the weekend and got knitting supplies since it at least keeps my mind and hands active when I've got nothing better to do."
"That's such a Stiff thing to do," I tease grinning. 
"Oh?  And what do you do in solitude?" she questions. 
"I read books and listen to music," I shrug. 
"What was that you said before, Nose?" she teases me right back placing a hand over her ear. 
I chuckle in response.  "Feel free to join me anytime," I offer. 
"Alright," she agrees.  "See you in five to ten?"
I blink in surprise.  "Okay," I reply still in shock. 
I walk into my apartment in a daze.