Forty-Four-The Stiff? 13.2

Eric

I rise from my desk after Tris leaves my office and relay everything I've just learned from her to Max.
"We'll bring up Four, then Hayes," he says. I agree. "Next initiation..." he starts drumming his fingers on his desk. "I think there needs to be a day of announcements. It sounds like she didn't know about the fraternization policy whatsoever... but Four absolutely is aware."
I nod. We have security bring Four to the conference room and Ryan joins us.
"This'll be fun," Ryan chuckles rubbing his hands together excitedly.
I roll my eyes at him as we wait in the conference room. Security arrives and knocks on the door. They enter with Four in tow.
"Have a seat," Max tells him.
He sits down but looks confused.
"Do you know why I brought you here?" I ask him.
"Not a clue," he replies.
I set my phone in front of him.
"What is this?" he questions.
"That's your handprint in the form of a bruise on the little Stiff's arm," I inform him.
He blows it off with a roll of his eyes and an exhale of irritation. I stare at him in disbelief.
"Do you frequently put your hands on her and leave a mark?" I question.
"Why is this even an issue?" he inquires irately.
"Are you really that dense?" Ryan asks.
Four looks confused.
"You put your hands on a leader-in-training," Max states. "You left damage. If Egan was still here, you'd be dead."
Four actually gulps at that.
"I'm sorry. I wasn't intending to hurt her. I just wanted to talk," he explains.
"She told you no and walked away. That's as good as me giving you an order. You certainly will never cross me and you will not cross her," I respond lowly.
"It won't happen again," he replies solemnly.
"Good," Max says firmly.  I'm glad Four's finally taking this seriously. "Now we'd like to discuss how you initiated a relationship with a trainee."
"What?" he questions outraged standing up.
"Sit down," Max orders.
The guards push him into his seat.
"This is bull," he says angrily.
I stare at him and he stares right back.
"Which part are you referring to?" I question.
"All of it. This is ridiculous. You put her up against Peter and he covered her in bruises head to toe and now you're giving me crap about a little bruise?" he complains angrily.
"Do you want to know how I discovered it?" I taunt.
He stares at me with a hard look.
I explain the position we were in when I noticed the bruise on her arm. I smirk as he rises from his seat and looks like he's going to reach across the table for me. I chuckle as the soldiers forcibly restrain him.
"You didn't tell me that," Ryan whispers to me.
I shrug him off.
"So... we're aware of you breaking your contract and Dauntless laws—several, in fact," Max says looking over his paperwork.
"Am I Factionless?" he questions defeated.
"Not yet," I grin. "You want to know the difference between you and Peter?" I question. He purses his lips and nods. "Her fight with Peter was part of training. You were her boyfriend and you should never put your hands on a female like that unless it's in the ring in a fair fight or life and death in the field—that's the difference. You started a relationship with a girl and when she ended it, you force your way on her—a leader—when she's already rejected you and her back was turned.  There is a big difference. You will not intimidate her again and you will not approach her again. Is that understood?" I question.
He stares at me without responding.  He's furious... but I don't care.
"We could just make you Factionless if you refuse to acknowledge that you'll stay away from her," I offer.
"I'll stay away," he says defeated not meeting my eyes.
"Good," I grin smugly.
Max decides to put him in lockup for harming her and the relationship. "Any more infractions and you're gone," he explains.
The soldiers take him away and I see Peter brought in. He and Four share a look.
"What the heck did Four do?" Peter questions as he's escorted in.
"Nosy, isn't he?" Ryan comments.
"He certainly is," I mumble.
Peter takes a seat across from us. I explain why he's here and he visibly pales. "I'm sorry. It won't happen again," he says quickly.
Max passes his sentence on him and gives him the same ultimatum as Four. He concedes easily.
"You're lucky I don't throw you to Factionless," I say lowly as he's escorted out.
Security shuts the door behind him.
"I didn't realize you were so territorial over Tris," Ryan comments.
I scoff at him and blow him off.
"I'm serious. I've never seen you like this," he insists.
I rise and continue to ignore him.  I go back to my office and complete my paperwork.  I walk to Tris's and see how she's doing.  She has a huge stack of stapled paperwork on her desk. 
"Completed?" I question. 
She points to the heap.  I grab one from the top and read her answers.  I'm surprised.  These are good. 
"Help me carry these to my office," I tell her.  I'm not going to attempt to carry them all and risk dropping them.  I'm also not going to make several trips.  "Bring what you're working on with you."
She nods but looks surprised.  She grabs a portion of the pile and puts her current paper on top.  She follows me to my office and sets them on my desk. 
"Have a seat," I tell her waving toward my sofa. 
I sit down at my desk and read all of her answers.  I raise an eyebrow at how well she's grasping these concepts.  Clearly, we chose the best candidate with her mental faculties.  She really is leadership material—a formidable trainee.  I'm honestly in awe by her answers—her capabilities.  These are outstanding.  I continue through the entirety of her completed work reading every answer.  Her ideas are intelligent, well thought out, and her understanding absolutely proficient in the knowledge a leader ought to apply.  I set the last one aside as she places the most recent one she was working on on my desk.  I take it as well and read through seeing she's clearly impressive. 
"These are good," I tell her. 
"Thank you," she says softly. 
"Let's call it a day," I suggest. 
"Alright," she grins.  I take her with me down to dinner. 
As the week passes, she progresses quickly.  I'm just as in awe of her physical performance, personal growth, and intellect in leadership matters as I was on the first day.  She grasps concepts and puts them into action almost immediately when she's taught in both fitness and leadership. 
During dinner on Friday Tris rises from beside Lydia and takes the seat next to me. 
"I've noticed something," she states. 
"And what's that?" I ask feigning disinterest. 
"Four hasn't been here since lunch on Monday," she points out. 
"And?" I question. 
"What did you do?" she inquires concerned. 
"I took care of it," I tell her rising with my tray and walking away.  I set it on the return and notice she's alongside me.  She sets hers down as well.  I stride into the hallway. 
"Eric?" she asks me worriedly. 
Ryan passes us by.  "Are we still on for tonight?" he questions me as he's walking. 
"Same place?" I ask. 
"Meet you there?" he inquires. 
I purse my lips and nod.  I surrender my attention back to the Stiff.  "You want to know where he is?" I confirm. 
She nods. 
"Come on," I insist.  I lead her through the Pit to the elevator taking us to the lower security levels of the compound.  I press the button for access, the screen reading my fingerprints.  We step inside and I choose the lowest level. 
"I didn't know there were so many floors underground," she comments softly beside me. 
I don't reply. 
We descend. 
"Where are we going?" she asks me. 
"I'm giving you a tour of a security level and answering your question," I respond evenly. 
She nods and doesn't reply. 
The elevator doors open and we step out.  There are two guards that rise from their desks and salute us.  I have one give her a tour.  They start with the interrogation rooms, then the shower facilities.  There are locker storage for the inmates.  Afterward, they take her to the female side of the holding cells which is currently empty. 
"Do you want her going to the male side?" the guard questions.  "There are three in holding."
I nod my consent.  He leads her through the men's holding cells and she gasps and looks back at me. 
"Hey there sweet thing," the first guy says to her grasping the metal bars and peeking his head through as much as he can grinning like the pervert he is. 
I give him a hard look and he backs up away from the bars knowing to keep his mouth shut now. 
She sees Four and he's watching us.  Peter is beside him. 
"Why are they here?" she asks me. 
"Because Four put his hands on a leader when he shouldn't have and he engaged in a relationship with an initiate.  Peter shouldn't have touched you either," I reply.
"Hey there, Stiff," Peter greets grasping the bars as well. He's grinning and his gaze is on par with the other.
She stares at him.
"I didn't realize that groping you or ripping your towel off would land me in here," he jokes.
I reach my arm in and slam his head into the bars, releasing him as he falls to the ground.
"That, I didn't know. You've just earned yourself another week," I reply angrily. "If you ever touch her again, we may be meeting in the far interrogation room."
"Do I want to know what that one is for?" she asks me.
"Executions," I state evenly.
"Why are you here?" Four asks Tris quietly.
"I blew off Lydia's dismissal of you not showing up for the meal for an uncountable number of times I've asked and went to Eric. He's actually showing me the truth," she replies.
"So, you didn't just finally notice?" he questions. "Did you miss me?"
"Absolutely not. I'm just grateful you haven't been harassing me. I also am grateful he didn't throw either of you to Factionless. I don't think I could handle being the cause of that even though you should be responsible and held accountable for your own poor choices," she responds evenly.
She turns to me and looks at me gratefully.
"Thank you for handling them. I appreciate it," she tells me.
"I still don't understand why you're not in here," Four grumbles.
My attention snaps to him.
"Isn't it obvious?" Peter complains on the floor rubbing his head. "He favors her."
"Tris isn't here because you didn't do your job and explain the fraternization policy. Clearly you had an interest since the first day. It's your responsibility for the relationship. You signed a contract well aware of the consequences. Had she known, I'm sure she wouldn't have participated. You're both fortunate that I haven't dumped you off in Factionless," I reply flatly.
"That's true. I didn't know and I would've completely avoided you if I did," she comments.
"That's a lie," Four insists.
"You are deceiving yourself," she responds walking away and leaving the cell block.
"See you next week for your hearing," I smirk at Four.
"Yeah, thanks for visiting," Peter replies sarcastically.
"Yours will be in two weeks," I restate walking out.
I hear Hayes frantically protesting behind me and I chuckle at his behavior. He must've not heard.
I step back into the entrance area to see Tris waiting by the elevator with her arms folded defensively over her chest.
"Let's go," I announce.
She nods and waits with me for the elevator to arrive.
"Remind me on Monday to grant your access to restricted areas," I tell her as we step into the elevator.
"Okay," she whispers.
I press the top floor and we ascend.
"Thanks for that," she tells me motioning toward the elevator doors we just entered.
"They got what they deserved. If I'd known about everything involving Hayes before, I may have beat him before his sentencing," I tell her. "Either that or expulsion from Dauntless..."
There's silence for a moment.
"Is there anything else with him I should be made aware of?" I question.
"Nothing that comes to mind," she shrugs.
A beat passes.
"Thank you... for taking care of everything," she tells me again softly.
She glances at me and I nod in reply.
We exit on the main level of the Pit. We walk together for a ways before separating. I'm curious as to where she's going but I shake that thought out of my head.
"Bye, Eric," she says in parting.
"See ya later, Stiff," I reply.
I stride to the same bar Ryan and I usually meet up at. It's already filling in for the night. I see him seated at the counter ordering a beer—at least his second.  I sit beside him and order one as well. 
We sit here drinking for a while. 
"Where'd you two go?" he asks me suddenly. 
"The holding facility," I reply taking another sip from my beer. 
"That's romantic," he mocks rolling his eyes. 
My eyes snap to his.  "I don't know what you're talking about," I respond. 
"Get off it," he insists.  "You want her just as bad as the rest of us."
"She's a Stiff!" I protest. 
"Not anymore," he insists motioning to the entrance.  "She looks Dauntless through and through."
I follow his gaze to see her walking in.  She's got her hair down and curled.  She's wearing a sequined crop top showing her midriff with a leather jacket on over it and long, fitted jeans. 
"You can't tell me you're not interested," Ryan whispers in my ear. 
"She's not my type," I deny. 
"Oh?" he questions intrigued.  "And who is this mythical type I've never seen?"
"I don't know yet," I shrug dismissively. 
I observe her as she joins her friends at a table.  They order a round of drinks.  I see her get some sort of fruity, girly concoction—similar to that of her Candor friend while most everyone else gets beers or shots.  They toast together and I observe as she removes her jacket to go dancing.  Her shirt is strapless.  I draw in a sharp intake of breath at seeing her like that. 
"Man, she looks good.  If you're not going to ask her for a dance, I think I will," Ryan says. 
"She's not interested in you," I tell him. 
"She's coming around," he defends. 
"You make her uncomfortable when you hit on her," I insist. 
"I do not.  She thinks I'm funny," he disagrees. 
"Whatever you say, man," I reply. 
I observe her as she dances with her friends.  I find the sway of her hips, the lift of her arms entrancing.  I have to turn away from looking at her.  I want none of that, I tell myself. 
She dances several songs and my eyes drift back to her countless times.  I notice her bruise has faded substantially.  It appears to have yellowed and it's healing.  That's good.  I honestly think she has been hiding it from me.  The first day of training, she wore a tank top.  After that has been baggy t-shirts every day since. 
She goes and sits down when they play a slow song.  "That's it.  I'm asking her," Ryan gets up. 
"Good luck with that," I mumble before sipping my beer. 
I see him cross the bar and walk over to her table.  He's talking to her and she frowns at him.  I can see her shaking her head at him from here.  I know she's not interested.  It's obvious.  He's too touchy with her and he says things that make her uncomfortable.  Like I said before, she's a Stiff.  She's probably afraid of contact. 
Ryan comes back and joins my side.  He sits down with a huff beside me and orders two shots. 
"What'd she say?" I ask him. 
"I'm not the guy she wants to dance with," he shrugs. 
"What does that mean?" I ask. 
"Clearly she's got eyes for some lucky man," he replies.
The bartender places the two shot glasses down and fills them. 
"Here," he insists shoving one at me. 
I sigh.  I'm not that into shots but I take it since he just got rejected... even though I warned him. 
"Just the one," I tell him.  He nods. 
"To being single again for another year," he says clanking his glass with mine. 
I down the contents and I'm grateful it's a palatable one.  Some of the stuff he drinks is just nasty. 
He orders another beer and I feel like I better step in.  "You should probably slow down," I tell him firmly.  "I don't want to have to drag you home."
"Yeah, yeah," he waves dismissively at me. 
I watch as the Stiff gets up again and she's dancing to a fast song with her friends once more.  I see her tattoos—the three ravens, the Dauntless flames, and the Abnegation helping hands.  I hadn't seen the last two until training on Monday and I was surprised she chose them.  I guess I have both of mine but they're smaller and somewhat hidden.  She's rather open about hers.  I observe as several guys through the night ask her to dance.  Some offer her drinks.  She rejects every single one.  I'm curious as to who has caught the little Stiff's eye.  The more I watch her, the more I do think she's changed.  She really is appealing...
I shake those thoughts out once more.  I'm not interested in the little Stiff.  She could find some nice soldier to settle down with... or a general or something.  She could probably get anyone she wants the way the guys here gather around her... yet, she dismisses every one.  I see her glance at me shyly before talking with her friends. 
"I think I'm done," I tell Ryan downing the rest of my beer. 
"Yeah, me too," he agrees. 
I pay our tab and take him home.  He had a few more and he's spent.  We walk out of the bar and I help him into bed before I go to my apartment.
The next day, I sit with some friends of mine around the Pit. We joke around and it's nice to be out. I see the little Stiff pass by with her group of friends.
"There she is," Drake says—my friend with black hair, green eyes, and sleeves of tattoos covering his arms and legs.
"Yeah, hook us up, Eric. She's your trainee," Dylan comments—the bleach blonde, grey eyed, tanned fence guard.
"Go talk to her yourself," I insist.
"Come on man, give us an in," Luke presses—the redhead with jade eyes, freckles, and piercings covering his face.
"How would I do that?" I question. "She's a Stiff. She's definitely not into all six of you. I suggest you handle your own girls."
Tommy—the muscly meathead with brown hair and eyes, Xander—the dark skinned, tattoos and piercing covered fighting league member, and Kane—the little tough guy with the shaved head and facial tattoos—all plead with me but I blow them off.
She passes out of sight and they all grumble.
"She can't date all of you," I point out.
"Yeah, but maybe you could suggest she try one of us," Xander grins.
"Oh, yeah?" I question. "What if I recommend Tommy? How will the rest of you feel about that?"
They all frown and nod. But Tommy seems pleased grinning from ear to ear.
"At least introduce us," Kane requests.
"That, I can do," I nod.
A few minutes pass and I've just got to ask.
"What do you guys see in her anyway?" I question.
The rest go silent.
"She's the prettiest girl in the faction... duh," Drake replies.
I slap him in the back of the head for that and everyone else chuckles.
"It's true," he continues rubbing his head.
"She is very pretty," Luke agrees. "Very innocent, too, strong and independent. Most of us want a good girl, not the rest of these... other types. Plus, there's not many to choose from."
I purse my lips and nod. Ryan was talking about next year's influx. He's been examining the initiates every year hoping to find the one. I mull over that thought for a moment... who would I be interested in?
The little Stiff passes in my sight.
"There she is," Tommy nudges me.
I look to him and he's definitely interested, staring at her.
"Alright," I agree grudgingly. "Hey, Stiff!" I shout.
She turns around searching for a moment until her eyes land on me. She smiles and talks to her friends before they're all walking over here.
"Are those bags from a lingerie store?" Kane asks grinning.
"I thought you guys were looking for good girls?" I question rolling my eyes at that.
"Hey, a guy can dream, right?" he replies.
I see Marlene, Lynn, and the Candor joining the Stiff. They approach us.
"Hi, Eric," Tris says smiling up at me.
"My friends wanted to meet you," I tell her.
"Hello," she chuckles waving at them.
Since I'm the only one familiar, I make the introductions.
"Your name's not really Candor, right?" Xander teases.
She laughs. "No. It's Christina," she grins.
The guys all chat with the ladies while I sit back and remain my usual, quiet self. I see the Stiff talking to several of the guys but she looks back at me smiling. She eventually comes over to me with a bag in hand.
"Your friends are nice," she tells me.
"Are you calling them softies?" I tease.
"Yeah, especially Xander," she jokes chuckling.
I grin at that. "You know he's in the fighting league," I tell her.
"I should probably go see him in action sometime," she replies with a smile on her face.
I nod at that. I see the rest waving to everyone else and she frowns. "I guess we're leaving. See you around," she forces a smile.
"See ya, Stiff," I reply.
She walks off with the girls but looks back at me as they leave.
Drake strides over to me and sighs dramatically. "I never noticed that before," he says.
"What's that?" I question.
"The Stiff is totally into you," he replies.
I guffaw at that.
"No, man. She definitely is. She kept checking you out when I was talking to her," Xander insists.
I shake my head at that. "No way. You guys are full of it," I insist.
"I guarantee she wouldn't be interested in any of us... but you? You definitely have a chance," Tommy says patting me on the back.
"I don't think so," I reply.
"Why not?" Luke questions.
"I don't know. She's not for me," I respond watching her walk out of sight.
The weeks pass and she continues to progress in her training. Four is eventually released from holding—not without a talk with me warning him to stay away from her or he's out. He accuses me of keeping him from her for my own personal reasons but I don't care what he thinks. I'm keeping him away from her and it's the right thing to do. Next is Peter's release. He's easier. He agrees to anything. The question is will he follow his words with action. That's why we have them both monitored.
The Stiff finally completes her training and we welcome her into leadership, saying goodbye to an old friend. That weekend, the entire faction is partying for days straight in celebration. I go home at a reasonable time as usual, not overdoing it. I get ready for bed—changing into sweatpants, brushing my teeth, taking off my holster, vest, and shirt.
I'm about to climb into bed and read a little before I go to sleep when there's a soft knock on my door. I glance to the time and notice it's almost ten. I walk to the door and open it to see the little Stiff standing there in that same outfit as before at the club—the sequined crop top and fitted jeans. She's done her hair and wearing makeup.
"Hi," she says.
"What's going on, Stiff?" I ask surprised to see her at my door. 
"Do you really still think of me as a Stiff?" she inquires.
"Why wouldn't I?" I question.
"I'd prefer it if you didn't," she tells me.  I see her searching my eyes for something. 
"Why is that?" I inquire leaning up against the doorjamb.
"Because I want you," she tells me simply.
"Are you drunk?" I question confused.
"No," she whispers shaking her head at me. "Is it really that hard believe?" she asks softly moving closer toward me. She rises on her toes and puts her arms around my neck. 
I don't move. I don't respond.
She leans in and kisses me softly.  I can't help but respond to that. I take over wrapping my arms around her and deepening the kiss.  I pull her inside my apartment and back her up against the wall.  I open her mouth with my tongue and dominate her as she whimpers. I can't believe I'm kissing the Stiff... but I want her, too.
"Mine," I whisper breathlessly panting against her skin. I kiss her neck and pull her closer, flush against me. She giggles at that and sighs happily.
"That's all I wanted," she grins separating from me. "See you in the morning, Eric," she says kissing my cheek. "Goodnight," she waves shutting my door.
I blink in confusion and open my door to follow her. I see her unlocking hers.
"So, are we a thing, or what?" I ask.
"Sure," she shrugs. "Goodnight, Eric," she says blowing me a kiss.
"Goodnight, Stiff," I tell her. She smiles at me and closes her door. I sigh shakily... man, I'm in love with the Stiff.