Fifty-Five-You Don't Know Me 17.3

Eric

I changed to something more comfortable and I tidy my apartment a little in the waiting. I start a load of laundry and pick up my living room. I decide to open up my balcony. It's small but it has a nice view—especially at night.
I wait in anticipation reading that romance novel I started. I grin at the chase—how that's exactly what I'm doing. It's like an art form, a beautiful dance of love. I never knew how incredible it was—like a whirlwind of emotions. I can't wait to see her. I perk up immediately when I hear the knock.
I set the book down and rush to my door. I open it to see she's wearing sweatpants and a loose t-shirt, too. She's removed her makeup and has her hair tied back loosely and casual now. I see the flip flops and bare feet and I grin.
I reach out to her... and she gives her hand to me.
She says, "Hello."
"Hi," I smile pulling her in. "You look lovely."
She laughs lightly in disbelief. I wait while she kicks off her footwear at the door. Now we truly match.
I lead her to the sofa and we sit. She notices my book on the coffee table.
"Is this a romance novel?" she asks grinning.
"It is," I nod. "It reminds me if you."
"How so?" she inquires, although she appearing completely flattered.
"It's archaic with an older language. It's called the art of making love," I explain.
She blushes at that.
"Nothing sexual, I assure you—more like romance, the chase, falling in love," I tell her.
She laughs again befuddled. "But you don't even know me," she insists.
"I'd like to know more," I tell her caressing her cheek. "If you'd let me in, I'd like that."
"Into where?" she asks softly.
I turn her face gently so she meets my eyes. "Into your heart, love," I explain.
Her eyes soften at that.
"Four wants me to stay away from you," she divulges softly.
"And you didn't listen," I point out grinning.
"He likes to be controlling. It's why I avoid him, why we didn't last," she explains.
"I won't control you. You should make your own choices and decisions. I'd like you to take my advice on occasion when you ask for it... but I'd never force you into anything," I admit.
"And what advice do you have for me?" she asks.
"Take a chance on me, trust me," I request.
"You want me to trust you?" she confirms looking into my eyes again.
"More than anything," I admit staring deeply back into her eyes.
"I like you," she admits.
I grin at that and bite my lip.
"But..." she continues. "...I have some insurmountable stipulations before I'll allow myself to get closer to anyone."
"I'll do my best to climb that mountain," I reply earnestly.
"My church is important to me, my God my reason for living," she tells me.
"You want me to join the church?" I confirm.
"I expect anyone I'm in a relationship with to actually believe," she admits.
I nod in understanding.
"I actually enjoyed going," I divulge. "It wasn't what I was expecting at all, to be honest."
"What'd you think?" she asks.
"I'd like to go with you from now on," I admit.
She smiles at that.
"What are your thoughts on life?" she asks.
"What do you mean?" I ask for clarification.
"I think life is precious, that all life ought to be cherished," she continues.
"Like abortion?" I question.
"Yes and no," she replies. "I don't agree with abortion because life is sacred... but I was actually referring to the Divergent," she divulges.
I pale at this.
"What do you mean, sweetheart?" I ask confused.
"Do you hunt them?" she inquires softly. 
I turn away from her not knowing where to go with this.
"This is a confidential subject," I tell her. "I'm not supposed to talk about it."
"Would you kill me, Eric? Or hand me over to Jeanine?" she questions me.
I stare at her... the girl I've fallen in love with. "Not you," I say disbelievingly shaking my head.
"Do you really see me as a threat?" she asks with her voice cracking.
"Tell me everything," I request, and she does. She elaborates on her test, how she was told to hide it. She says she didn't even know what she was. She has no intentions to form a rebellion or change our society. I look into her eyes and I know she's being truthful. Her church spoke on peace—living in peace... being peacemakers.
"I don't think you're a threat," I admit. "But that goes against everything I've been taught."
"What about my church, my beliefs?" she asks.
"The same," I divulge.
"Forgive me for being contrary but... is it possible that what you were taught was opinion? It's possible it's untrue," she says softly.
I realize... she may have a point. Have I really been following the wrong side so blindly? 
"I believe... that God is opening your eyes," she tells me gently.
"Why do you say that?" I question.
"Because that's what I've been praying for you since the first time I saw you at that cafe," she tells me. "I believe God is helping you to see another way."
I meet her eyes and I feel like I've been wrong for so long. I tell her this and she prays with me. And then... she kisses me. I've never been so overcome with emotion. The gentle touch of her soft lips as they caress mine is euphoric. The touch of her hands on my head makes me shudder. My heart is racing and my skin tingling. I kiss her back stroking her cheek affectionately, her neck, her soft hair.
"I love you," I whisper as we part.
Her eyes are still closed but we're so close. "I... I think I may, too," she replies softly. She opens her eyes and meets mine searching. "No," she shakes her head. "I know it."
I kiss her again, more fervently this time, more passionately. She whimpers in my hold and then melts into my arms. "Tell me you love me," I whisper on her skin. I kiss her cheek making my way down to her neck.
"I love you," she says breathlessly.
My heart soars at that... the words I've dreamt of for so long. It's just like my dream, like I saw a glimpse of my future and it's magical and magnificent and unbelievable.
"Be my girl," I plead.
"I already am," she says meeting my eyes. She kisses me gently again. "Will you protect me?" she requests.
"With my life," I nod as I stare deeply into hers. "I'll be making some changes tomorrow."
She smiles at that and pecks my lips once more. We sit together holding hands. She leans her head against my shoulder and I change positions, putting my arm around her and holding her hand with my other resting on my lap. We talk about the future—my plans, her plans. She tells me that I can call her father and speak with him, that he has information from the founding fathers about Divergence. I agree that I'll meet with him kind of surprised by that knowledge. We continue to talk about more personal things—we share our lives, our stories, experiences, and our thoughts. We speak on our interests and what we do in our free time. We really have so much in common.
I notice it's close to dinner time. "Do you want to go out?" I offer.
She shakes her head. "I like it here. I don't want to have to dress up again," she pouts. It's so adorable that I can't help but kiss her.
"Do you want me to order in?" I suggest.
"I'm not in the mood for pizza," she protests.
"Okay, no pizza," I chuckle. "What do you want?"
"Is there more takeout than pizza?" she asks skeptically.
"Tons," I grin. I grab a stack of menus from the drawer in my end table and spread them out. I remove the pizza places. "No pasta?" I question.
"I had no idea," she says in awe staring at the menus. She picks up several and looks them over. She appears to be debating between three—a sandwich shop, a taco place, or stir fry. 
"All of those sound good," I tell her wrapping my arms around her midsection resting my chin on her shoulder and peering over her shoulder.  I kiss her cheek. 
"I can't choose," she says.  "Although, I've had sandwiches before and tacos on occasion in the cafeteria.  This other place has tons of things I've never had."
"Pick out what you want," I shrug. 
I kiss her cheek again and I feel her smile.  She looks at me and kisses me gently. 
"I'm a little overwhelmed," she admits. 
"We can get several small dishes for you to try out.  I'll eat anything if you don't like some," I suggest. 
"Alright," she grins. 
I call in an order and have them deliver.  It arrives as we lounge around on my sofa.  I answer the door and swipe my point card.  I grab the bag and thank the delivery guy. 
I turn around. 
"In here or at the counter?" I offer. 
"The counter," she says. 
"Alright," I reply setting it down. 
I walk into the kitchen and grab some utensils.  I search my fridge for drinks. 
"What do you want to drink?" I inquire. 
"What do you have?" she asks stepping closer. 
She peers over my shoulder as I'm bent down. 
"Milk, orange juice, beer... I've got several fizzy drinks," I offer. 
"What are those?" she asks curiously. 
I explain that they're an Erudite specialty. 
"Alright," she agrees. 
"Let's see... I've got lemon, lime, strawberry, cola, root beer, cream soda," I list off. 
"I don't even know," she says shaking her head. 
"How about cream soda?" I recommend. 
"Okay," she says softly. 
I get out two glasses and a bottle opener.  I pour us each a glass and hand her one.  "Thank you," she says softly. 
We sit at the counter together and she sets her glass down taking my hand.  She prays over the food and thanks God for me.  I kiss her gently afterward.  She smiles at me and sips her drink. 
"That's really good.  I'm surprised it's sweet," she tells me. 
I grin at her and we start on our dinner. 
"I'll be getting this again," she tells me around a bite of food, covering her mouth. 
"Which one?" I ask. 
"All of it," she laughs lightly. 
I smile and kiss her cheek.  We enjoy our meal together.  Afterward, I slide an almond cookie over to her.  She grins at me and takes a bite. 
"These are so good," she says surprised.  "They're not too sweet."
"Still not used to it?" I ask her.  I pull her onto my lap and nudge her. 
"Some sweet things overwhelm me," she admits taking another bite. 
"I can't handle overly sweet things either," I tell her. 
"I feel like... we're perfect for each other," she says. 
"I feel the same," I admit.
I take her hand and turn on my stereo as I lead her out to the balcony to watch the sunset. 
"It's beautiful," she tells me. 
"Yeah," I agree. 
"It's cozy out here," she says as I wrap my arms around her.
I hum a reply.
"Your place isn't what I expected," she tells me.
"Oh? What'd you expect?" I ask.
"Big," she replies.
I laugh lightly at that.
"I'm not what you expected?" I ask her kissing her cheek.
"No," she whispers.
She turns and meets my eyes. She kisses me softly. I respond and deepen it. I open her mouth with my tongue and she whimpers again but meets my tongue with hers. She's timid at first. As I take over, she's relaxes and allows me my pleasure as I devour her. We're breathless as I back away.
"There's the Eric I always knew," she whispers.
"I'm still the same... just a man in love," I tell her.
"Mine," she grins.
"Mine," I say possessively kissing her once more.

Jackie Wilson—'To Be Loved'

A slow song begins to play. I take her hand in mine and position her to lead her in a simple dance. She seems surprised at first but smiles and lets me guide her, picking up the movements quickly. I lead her dancing together, holding her close. The sensation of having a partner I care for is so different than taking lessons, as if I can finally experience the purpose of dancing. I sense that as I hold her, I fall more deeply in love.  The words match exactly how I feel about her. 
We continue dancing to each song until the stars come out. We lean against the railing and stare up at the stars together. I hold her affectionately. We talk more about how different we feel, how complete we make each other.
"I've never felt like this before," I admit, baring my soul to her.
"Neither have I," she agrees.
"What about Four?" I inquire. I nudge her gently but in all honesty, I'm jealous of what she had with him.
"We didn't get along," she divulges. "He was always critical and trying to control me. He made me feel inadequate and weak. I just grew tired of being told what to do. I didn't like feeling bad about myself constantly so I moved on."
"But he was talking to you today," I point out.
"I try to avoid confrontation with him. I generally take my meals when he's not around and stay away from places he frequents," she tells me.
"Why?" I inquire.
"He still wants to be with me," she admits. "I haven't been interested since I called it off... but he still pursues me. He didn't want me being around you. He sees you as a threat to his claim on me and my safety."
"I'll have to scare him off," I tease.
"I'd rather avoid him," she says softly. "He can be kind of obsessive. It's tiring dealing with him. He's got nothing else going on and it's... annoying when he continually pesters me."
"Awe, baby," I tease. "You make him sound like a bug."
She snorts in reply and I chuckle.
"You make me happy," she says softly.
I turn her chin and capture her lips again gently.
"I should probably leave soon," she frowns. "I have to work in the morning."
"Do you want me to walk you home?" I ask.
"No, it's fine," she says shaking her head.
I frown at that and she pecks my lips.
"Can I see you tomorrow?" I ask.
"After work?" she questions.
"Alright," I grin.
I walk her to my door taking her hand in mine.
"Goodbye," she says softly.
"Goodnight," I correct.
She chuckles and nods, "Goodnight."
I back her up against the door. I hold her tightly, kissing her sensuous lips. I'm hooked, I can't get enough of her. "I love you," I whisper against her lips.
She smiles and bites her lip. She pecks me once more before disengaging from me. She slides her shoes back on. I open the door for her and kiss her again gently.
"Goodnight," she whispers as she parts.
I watch her walk away... but this time... she's mine. I smirk at that.