Thirty-Six-The Date 10

Tris

I sigh as Christina curls my hair, so grateful that she's doing this for me.  Last time I tried, I burned myself.  She already did my makeup and it's outstanding—better than I can do for sure.  I picked out my outfit, though.  She wanted me to wear something more revealing.  I said no.  I chose something I'm more comfortable with and I won't feel awkward in. 
"So... you said he asked you out?" she questions.  She's been trying to pry the details out of me since this afternoon at lunch—even texting me while I was working. 
"It's not a big deal," I try to shrug it off.  "I just took some forms up to his office this morning and he asked me what I was doing tonight."
"And?" she questions excitedly. 
"And... I told him I didn't have any plans.  He asked me if I wanted to go out on a date with him," I explain. 
"You just said yes?" she questions intrigued. 
"I was kind of surprised.  It took me a moment to snap out of it," I admit.  "But I said that I'd like that."
"Did he say anything else?" she inquires. 
"He said he'd pick me up at my apartment at about six-thirty," I tell her. 
"So..." she grins. 
"Yes?" I question raising an eyebrow. 
"Eric asked you out," she states beaming. 
"Yeah," I laugh.  "Isn't that what we were talking about?"
"I know but... this is awesome, isn't it?" she says giggling. 
I giggle a little, too.  "Yeah," I say softly.  I look to my watch.  "Are you almost done?  He'll be here soon."
"Last curl," she insists releasing it from the iron. 
I rise and observe my reflection in the mirror admiring how her skill far exceeds mine. I look incredible—barely recognizing myself.
"Did you brush your teeth?" she asks. 
"Too late for that," I think but I did brush earlier. 
"Here, have a mint just in case," she tells me handing me a small little disk.  I put it in my mouth. 
"Deodorant?" she asks. 
"I'm good," I laugh lightly. 
"Perfume?" she inquires skeptically. 
"I've never worn it," I shrug. 
"I've got several.  Follow me," she says. 
There are various bottles on her dresser. 
"This one is light, this one kind of floral, this one musky.  The rest are a bit overwhelming for a first date," she insists. 
I pick up one and smell it.  It's nice—very light and pretty.  It's called Flirty.  I giggle as I spray it on.  It does smell really good. 
I hear a knock on the door. 
I step out of her bedroom and open our front door.  Eric is standing there with his signature smirk on his face. 
"Hi," I smile. 
He responds the same, biting his lip as he surveys me.  "These are for you," he tells me placing a bouquet of flowers that was behind his back into my arms. 
I laugh lightly in disbelief before meeting his eyes.  "Thank you," I whisper.  I've never been given anything like this before.  "They're beautiful."
He smiles at me—a real smile. 
"Do you want to come in for a minute?" I offer. 
"Sure," he nods. 
I open the door wider and notice how nice he looks, too.  He's wearing a suit and I'm glad I dressed up.  As he passes me, I realize he smells really good, too—very masculine. 
"I'm going to put these in some water," I say thinking that's what I've seen Christina do.  Will gives her flowers sometimes. 
"Alright," he nods watching me walk by. 
I step into the kitchen and grab the largest vase we have.  This is a lot of flowers and they're gorgeous.  I think Christina called these roses.  She's gotten these before but they were a lighter red than these.  I fill the vase with water and take the packaging off before setting them in the vase exactly how he gave them to me.  I hug the vase to my chest and place them on the coffee table in the living room.  I sit beside Eric on the couch. 
"Is this a single or a double?" he asks me. 
"Double," I tell him.
"Who's your roommate?" he inquires. 
"Christina," I grin. 
He nods.  "Did she go out somewhere already?" he questions. 
I laugh lightly and shake my head.  "I think she's hiding in her room, appearing to give us privacy but I guarantee she's hanging on every word," I whisper with a grin on my face. 
"I am not," she says defensively from down the hall. 
Eric and I both laugh. 
"Do you want to go?" he asks. 
"Sure," I smile. 
He rises and takes my hand in his.  It's nice... and sweet. He helps me up and I grab my purse and keys as we approach the door.
"Bye, Christina," I say from the door.
She peeks her head out of her room. She's beaming. "Have fun," she giggles.
Eric and I chuckle at that.  I shut the door behind us.  He places his hand around my back at my waist and leads the way. 
"Is she staying in tonight?" he asks. 
"No.  She's doing something with Will," I tell him.  "Probably the typical double date with Uriah and Marlene."
"Really?" he asks.  "I hadn't heard Uriah and Marlene finally got together.  I kind of figured it'd happen eventually, though."
I laugh lightly.  "It was about a week after initiation," I tell him. 
"I should talk to Zeke more," he says. 
I smile in reply. 
"So, they often go out together?" he questions. 
"Will and Uriah are roommates," I explain. 
"Oh.  That makes sense," he nods. 
We exit my building and he laces his fingers with mine, taking me by the hand in the busier area of the Pit.  I blush in surprise at the public contact—any contact like this, though.  It's really crowded here now.  We get several stares as we walk through the bustling Friday night traffic.  He meets my eyes and gives my hand a squeeze.  I smile at him as we continue together. 
He leads me to a sort of restaurant district that I've never been to before.  Christina and I have gone out for coffee on occasion when we shop but I generally eat in the cafeteria or at home.  I know Will has taken her out around here before but I've never been.  The area smells incredible, like the aroma from different days in the cafeteria every few steps.  I realize they all serve various types of food and this is actually pretty exciting.  Several restaurants are casual-looking with seating inside and outside with cafe-style tables.  It reminds me of the coffeehouse we go to, yet so different and kind of romantic. 
I see a place that seems more regal than the rest.  There's a line outside and everyone is dressed finely.  Eric heads straight for it and surpasses the line. 
"Eric?" I whisper concerned. 
"It's fine.  I made a reservation.  They just showed up," he explains softly. 
I nod in understanding.  It must be like going to the doctor—the ones who made appointments get seen first... unless it's an emergency. 
He greets the hostess and we're taken back immediately.  We're walked through the restaurant passing several tables full of people and taken back to a private room.  Eric helps push in my chair and I find that incredibly kind.  The hostess gives us both menus.  I thank her as another man pours water for me.  The table is beautiful with candles burning and a small floral arrangement in the center.  The lighting is dim and I've never experienced anything like this before. I meet Eric's eyes and he's smiling at me. I grin in reply and look down at the menu in my hands. I read through it and I'm honestly not sure what anything is. I feel kind of silly asking... but I do.
"Would it be a Stiff thing to admit that I don't know what a single thing is on this menu?" I laugh lightly.
"Really?" Eric says surprised. "Fish?" he questions.
"Never had it," I admit.
"You had steak the night of your membership," he insists.
"Chicken?" I question.
"You got the chicken?" he asks dumbfounded. "That's the best meal of the year and you chose chicken?"
"I was nervous," I shrug.
He chuckles softly.
"How about I order for you then?" he suggests. "Do you like beef?"
"I do but I've only really had hamburgers... and roast beef. I remember a food fight with it, though," I admit.
"Yeah, you sit with the Pedrads. If Hannah isn't around, they act like ten year olds," he nods grinning.
"They do," I agree with a simper. "They behave better when she's present."  He smiles at me in reply. 
He orders for me—a similar meal to his but I heard some differences.  We surrender our menus to the waitstaff and they leave us.  Eric reaches for my hand on the table and caresses it.  A moment later some beverages are poured for us but he remains holding me firmly but gently.  I smile at that.  I can't help but compare in the brief time I've been with Eric how different he is from my last relationship—if I could even call it that.  He's not hiding me or ashamed.  He's walking me through the Pit practically announcing that we're together tonight.  He's given me gifts and introducing me to new experiences.  This is nice. 
"So... I went out of faction last week for a meeting," Eric tells me. 
"Isn't something like that confidential?" I say surprised. 
"It's obvious I left. Your department is usually aware. The subject matter was confidential, though," he explains and I nod.  "I saw your father."
I perk up immediately at that realizing what he's trying to tell me.  "You did?" I question surprised. 
"I spoke with him actually... after the meeting," he tells me. 
I smile at that. 
"He was asking about you," he explains and my eyes soften at that.  "I told him you're seventh in Dauntless.  He was impressed."
He's referring to how I work for the army, how I'm the head general's assistant—sixth in line after leadership, me after him. 
"He was impressed?" I inquire astonished, though. 
"He appeared to be," he clarifies for me.  I nod.  My dad is sort of private, kind of quiet.  "I told him you seem happy.  He said he regrets not coming to see you on Visiting Day."
I frown and nod.  "My mom came," I shrug. 
He smiles at that. 
I take a sip of the beverage he ordered and it's kind of strong—an alcoholic drink so I'll just sip it slowly.  He sips his as well. 
"How do you like your position?" he questions. 
"I love it," I smile.  "I like how some days I'm in the office, others I'm in the field, while I'm in the gym regularly.  It's nice.  There's always something new going on—something important.  I feel like I make a difference."
"That's how I feel about mine, too," he tells me. 
"Yeah," I say softly.  I never noticed how much we have in common before. 
We talk a bit about family and friends, our desires for our future careers. I hadn't realized we were both children of leadership families so we understand the same kind of lifestyles—the political talk at the dinner table, the meetings... He tells me about what he likes to do in his free time. I find out he's into rock climbing and zip lining. I tell him I only went once during initiation.
"The Dauntless-born took you?" he questions surprised.
"I think Uriah felt bad for me," I reply.
"Why's that?" he questions.
"Because I held Edward down while he was waiting for the medical staff to arrive the night before," I explain. "I was pretty shaken up," I admit. "It definitely helped me to feel a little better, get the dirty feeling off of me."
He frowns at that. "The cameras were covered up," he confides. "There was no evidence."
"Yeah," I nod whispering, keeping my opinion to myself.
I change the subject and tell him I haven't gone zip lining since then. I say that I usually spend my weekends with Christina, that she generally talks me into shopping with her even though I'm not that into it. "I don't mind the company, though. It's nice to get out and do something. It's definitely better than sitting home alone," I say.
"Yeah," he nods. "It gets lonely having a single. I kind of miss having a roommate."
I nod in understanding as our food arrives. It looks incredible, like nothing I've never had before.
"So this is steak?" I confirm.
"It is. You have a filet. It's the most tender cut," he tells me.
"Thank you," I say.
He gives me a sweet response and I smile in reply. 
I notice his steak is gargantuan compared to mine—at least four times the size... but mine it thicker than his cut.  There's also a bone in his.  I try the baked potato first.  I've had these plain in Abnegation before but I never cared for them until Dauntless.  The butter and salt make all the difference.  There's sour cream—I think—in the open cavity and salt on the exterior potato skin.  There are several more garnishes on top and it's absolutely incredible, the skin crispier than I remember.  I try the vegetables and they're seasoned as well—delicious and not at all what I had expected.  I try that meat and it's definitely the best thing on my plate. 
"So... do you think you'll get one next initiation?" he questions teasingly.
"Hmm?" I hum a reply. 
"Or are you grabbing chicken again?" he grins. 
I laugh lightly.  "No, I'll get a steak for sure."
He smiles at that. 
We continue chatting and it's nice.  He jokes with me a bit more.  He can be serious.  I know from watching him work that he's a dedicated, exceptional leader.  I feel like I shouldn't have listened to gossip when I arrived.  He's nothing like I would have thought before.  My opinion of him has slowly been changing from what I'd believed since initiation.  Now?  I'm quickly seeing him for who he genuinely is—getting to know the real Eric—and I'm pleasantly surprised. 
We finish our meal and he pays for everything.  I smile at that—being treated so well.  He even helps me with my chair again and escorts me out. 
"Do you want to go for a walk?" he asks. 
"Sure," I agree. 
Instead of taking me through the noisy, bustling center of the Pit, we head toward the family section which is sparse and void of heavy traffic.  He holds my hand gently and we leisurely stroll through the area as the businesses close for the evening.  The signs glow in the night and the lights are dimmed all around.  It's quiet and peaceful.  We enjoy the silence and companionship.  We talk lightly and I realize how much I truly enjoy his company.  We round the end of the Pit and keep going in a loop on the other side of the walkway. 
"Do you want some dessert or coffee?" he offers. 
"I'd be awake all night," I tease. 
"De-caf," he laughs lightly. 
"Alright," I nod pursing my lips.  "You talked me into it," I say nudging him playfully.  He chuckles in reply. 
We continue on until we reach a place similar to where Christina and I go from time to time but I've never been to this one.  This establishment is more like a bakery and coffee shop in one.  I let him order again since I'll try just about anything new. 
We sit in the area outside on a table.  He claims the seat beside me this time, not across.  This feels more intimate and it's nice—romantic even.  I've never known romance before... not really.  My experiences with boys are limited and I'm not counting that one since it was nothing like this—sweet, innocent, public, and considerate.  I think I like dating.  I especially like dating Eric.  This is pleasant—delightful. 
Our order arrives and I see he got two different drinks and two different desserts.  "Take your pick," he insists. 
"What are they?" I inquire. 
"Green tea cake with de-caf coffee or a lemon frosted cake with de-caf tea," he explains. 
"I don't know," I laugh overwhelmed. 
"We could share," he offers. 
I smile at that but realize I've never done that.  "Alright," I agree regardless of my apprehension. 
I take the green one but he gives me the first bite from his lemon cake. 
"That's good," I tell him smiling. 
"So is yours," he grins taking a bite from my plate.
I realize... this isn't so bad. This is actually enjoyable, intimate, cordial... but kind of affectionate, too.
We continue on sharing and sipping our beverages. It's warm and comforting, pairing together well. As I sip my cup, I feel a kiss to my temple.  It's tender, unexpected, and charming. I meet Eric's eyes and I smile at him, letting him know that I'm alright with him doing that. We finish and walk a little more. The crowd isn't quite as full in the main area of the Pit. We walk past the Chasm but there's a rowdy bunch there drinking excessively and we pass that area up. He takes me up a few flights of stairs to a section that leads outside. There's a balcony he gently directs me over to. It's late winter but unseasonably warm. He guides me to the railing and stands behind me. I feel a strong gust of wind and shudder slightly. I feel him slip something over my shoulders and I realize he's placed his jacket on me.
"Thank you," I whisper.
"You looked cold," he says wrapping his arms around my midsection.
"I'm not anymore," I admit loving the feel of being in his strong embrace. I close my eyes and just rest in the sensation.  It's almost dreamlike in this moment. I sigh so incredibly content to be with him.  I feel another kiss to my temple before I hear him sigh. 
"It's nice to finally have a clear night.  It's been overcast for a while," he mentions. 
I look up to see the stars out.  It's beautiful.  "I've never taken the time to stargaze," I admit. 
"Still breaking down those old Stiff habits?" he teases. 
"Yeah," I admit.  "I never know what to do with myself in my free time.  I'm just not accustomed to it.  I still find myself making gifts without realizing," I laugh lightly. 
"What kinds of gifts?" he whispers curiously.  I feel his lips practically grazing my ear and I shudder slightly. 
"Blankets, scarves... things like that.  I made some for me for winter, then Christina.  The next thing I knew, I was knitting some for Jax and his family," I admit. 
He laughs lightly.  "I'd like to see your handiwork someday," he says brushing his lips on my cheek.  I sigh shakily at the feeling before he kisses me there.  I've never experienced such affection before.  I've had those few kisses but they never made me feel like this—encompassing my entire being.  I feel completely overcome in euphoria at the sensation he's causing. 
He stops for a moment and we just look at the stars together.  This is just as nice.  There's silence between us for a while. 
"Can I ask you a personal question?" he inquires gently. 
"Of course," I reply softly. 
"When did things end between you and Four?" he questions. 
I know I flush at that.  I doubt he can see in the low light but I am embarrassed about it... about him. 
"It barely started," I admit.  "I... I didn't like the way he treated me."
"How did he treat you?" he questions in a whisper. 
"Like I didn't matter," I frown.  "He kind of ignored me.  Whenever we were in public, it was like he didn't know me.  I felt used.  I didn't like how he made me feel about myself... so I stopped coming over.  Then he stopped pursuing me.  After that, I didn't miss him.  One day, he ran into me in the Pit.  He asked if I wanted to come over to his place.  I told him no.  He actually asked if he could come over to my apartment then.  I told him no again and walked away.  He's spoken to me here and there but I'm grateful for the early lunch break so I don't really have to see him."
"How far did things go between you two?" he questions.  I hear concern and worry in his voice. 
"He kissed me a few times.  I kissed him.  That's about it," I shrug gently in his embrace. 
He sighs shakily at that. 
"How about you?" I question.  "Any previous mistakes?"
"No.  You're the only girl I've ever taken out—unless you count my sister.  Despite what gossip goes around, none of it's true," he tells me. 
"I know," I nod.
"How do you know?" he demands in his rumbling leadership voice, but by the chuckle that supersedes it I know it's playful. 
"I heard some girls gossiping a while back.  One was saying you were over at her apartment the night before when you were out of faction for days," I admit.  "I laughed when I heard it.  And they asked me what my problem was.  I shrugged and said you were in Candor so that's not possible."
He chuckles at that. 
"They're not the smartest, are they?" he questions.  I feel his lips graze my cheek again and I close my eyes. 
He holds me close to his chest as we lean up against the railing stargazing and conversing about anything and everything.  I remain in his embrace so long that as the lights begin to turn off in the Pit, I'm actually saddened that this night is over. 
"I should probably take you home.  The backup lights will only be on for another thirty minutes, then I'll have to find my way home in the dark," he teases with a peck to my cheek. 
"Alright," I agree. 
He releases me and I'm already missing the warmth from him.  I hold tight to his jacket, though.  He walks me through the Pit and we pass by with light traffic.  Only a few people move within sight and the vast majority of them have had way too much to drink.  We arrive quicker than I anticipated to my door.  I remove his jacket and give it back, thanking him.
"Anytime," he whispers. There's a pause and he looks to be contemplating something. "Can I see you again?" he asks.
"Sure," I reply softly with a smile.
"When?" he says. He puts his hand against the wall beside my head. He leans in closer to me as I recline against the wall next to my door.
"Whenever you want," I admit biting my lip.
He laughs lightly. "Are you free tomorrow?" he questions.
"I could be," I nod.
"See you tomorrow?" he questions.
"When?" I inquire with a grin.
"I'll call you," he whispers staring at my lips. "I had a good time with you tonight. How about round two tomorrow?"
"I'm up for it," I smile.
I feel his tender caress against my jaw before he angles my chin up with his fingers. He kisses me gently on the lips barely brushing his against mine. I wait and let him do as he wills. He kisses me more firmly and I meet his lips with mine. He deepens the kiss and wraps his arms around me. I hear cheering for us in the distance down the hallway and I laugh into the kiss.
He breaks away and he's smiling at me—a genuine smile.
"I'll see you tomorrow?" he confirms.
"I'll be waiting for your call," I grin.
He kisses me again, this one more firm, more passionate. He gingerly pulls away and pecks my lips again. He slowly releases me but pecks my lips once more—as if he just can't get enough of me.
"Goodnight," he whispers as he releases my hand.
"Goodnight," I reply.
I bite my lip to not give it away how I feel about him. He slowly backs away before turning around. I open my door and step in. Christina left a light on for me. I lock it as it closes and immediately see my gift from Eric. I approach those roses and realize the entire room permeates them, the scent heavenly. I touch one and they feel so smooth and soft. I smile to myself. 
I turn the light off and head down to the bathroom. I see Christina's bedroom door is closed. She's already in bed. I step into the bathroom, taking my shoes off first before washing my face and brushing my teeth. I go to my room and change into some sleep clothes before I fall back on my bed. I cover my face with my pillow and scream into it at how amazing tonight was. This was probably the best day of my life—better than membership to Dauntless. I found the man of my dreams and he was right in front of me all along. I can't wait until tomorrow...