Ninety-A Camping Adventure 26.6

Tris

I sigh happily.  I can't believe how much has changed today. I have a boyfriend. And he's so incredible and understanding. He does so much for me. I really feel fortunate—blessed even.
I shake off the two-tone pink umbrella he let me borrow—I'm assuming his sister's—and step into my cabin.
I wave to Daisy as she helps a little Amity girl with her hair. I set down my bag of folded, clean laundry and grab an outfit to sleep in and my toothbrush. I go to the closest bathroom and change. I brush my teeth and return back to the cabin. I notice there are more families around here. Where I was, there were singles. It makes sense that they'd put me there but perhaps they ought to separate the genders or something.
I step back in the room to see only Daisy present.
"Hi," I say to her.
She smiles and replies.
I tuck my things away and charge my phone.
"Can I ask you a question?" Daisy inquires as she approaches me.
"Sure," I nod.
"Why was Eric here?" she questions.
"Um," I grin. "Because he's my boyfriend."
"Oh," she says in surprise. "Am... am I going to get in trouble?"
"I don't think so," I shake my head. "He's so different than what everyone says."
"Really?" she asks surprised.
"Yeah," I nod smiling.
We talk a bit and she's really sweet—much nicer than most other Dauntless I've met. Her family returns and we all go to sleep at a reasonable time. They're quiet for the most part—other than a little girl asking for help to the bathroom in the night. It's a much more pleasant group than the previous one.
I wake well rested in the morning but missing Eric. It's still raining outside so I get my things and shower, then go have breakfast in the dome. Eric calls me.
"Were you already up?" he asks.
"Yeah, I'm having breakfast," I tell him.
"Alright," he replies. "What do you want to do today?"
"There's a few classes I could take here that are indoors," I respond.
"Like what?" he questions.
"Crafts," I tell him.
He hums a reply.
"Would you want to join me?" I ask hesitantly.
"What are you picking?" he questions.
"There's a candle making class, a leaf impression one with light sensitive paper, and a natural bird feeder," I explain hoping he'll join me.
"Alright, sweetheart. Those don't sound too bad," he replies.
"Oh? If I wanted to make daisy chains, you wouldn't join me?" I question.
"Nope," he says easily and I chuckle in response. "Maybe I'll come there for breakfast, too. If it stops raining later, I could grab some supplies in Amity," he mentions.
"Oh, that sounds fun. Can I join you?" I ask.
"Of course," he responds and I can hear the smile in his voice.
"Okay. See you soon?" I question.
"Yeah. Bye, sweetheart," he says.
"Bye, Eric," I reply.
I hang up and can't keep the smile off of my face as I continue on my breakfast.  Before I'm even finished, I feel a strong arm wrap around me.  I see the familiar maze tattoo on his forearm and my smile grows. 
"Good morning, sweetheart," Eric says kissing my head and setting a tray next to me. 
"Morning," I grin. 
He kisses me gently as he sits beside me. 
"You look beautiful today," he whispers on my temple as he kisses me there. 
I giggle at the compliment.  I've honestly been surprised at how he's constantly telling me that he thinks I'm pretty.  I've never been told that by anyone.  I've never even thought that about myself. 
We eat our breakfast together and chat about what I've chosen to do today. I see the Candors from from my old room. All six of them sit together and Eric puts a protective arm around me.  I turn to him and smile.  He kisses my lips softly again and I sigh happily. 
We completely avoid confrontation with the Candors by walking around the exterior walls to pass them up as we leave the cafeteria.  We stride to an area of cabins nearby where the workshops are set up holding our umbrellas as the downpour starts up once more.  We make candles first. It's interesting dipping the wicks into various colors and scents of beeswax.
Next, we do the imprints onto paper with miscellaneous found plantlife like leaves and flowers that are available.  It appears as if they were gathered before the rain hit since they're all dry.  Eric uses a thistle and other sharp or pointy objects like sticks and blades of grass.  I'm surprised he didn't get pricked. Meanwhile, I use soft objects—flowers, rounded leaves, stones. We put our papers underneath UV lights and expose them for a while. Then we wash them gently in a tray of water. Afterward, we put them in a solution with hydrogen peroxide and water, washing them once more. They're blue and white. They look incredible.  Mine and Eric's ought to be framed when they dry. They look like two opposing sides, yet match together perfectly... just like us.
We run into Jana on our way out. I give her my new cabin number. She seems surprised for some reason.
After that, we go to the neighboring building to make natural bird feeders. It smells like peanut butter in here and as I look over our options for building them, I see why. We are to dip pinecones into peanut butter and roll them over nuts and seeds. It's kind of messy but fun. I make a couple of them while Eric mostly cuddles with me while I do so. I look back at him over my shoulder grinning and biting my lip. I'd never have guessed in million years that Eric—the steely, cold Dauntless leader—was a big, cuddly teddy bear. Christina has one and that's exactly what I think of him right now. I love what we have between us. I adore the attention he gives me. I have a great time with him no matter what we do.
We return our crafts back to my cabin and go to his truck.  He drives us to his cottage and we have lunch here.  The rain slows to a sprinkle as he takes inventory of what he needs before we go to the shops in Amity.  I'm currently looking out the window in the living room as he goes through the pantry and fridge. 
My phone buzzes with an incoming call and I mindlessly answer it. 
"Hello?" I say. 
"Tris?" Four replies surprised. 
I wince that I answered now. 
"What do you want?" I ask. 
"I miss you.  You didn't even tell me you were taking a leave of absence," he says. 
"Yeah," I reply. 
"Why didn't you say anything?" he presses. 
"Because," I reply.  "I don't have to check in with you.  You're not my boyfriend."
"We can be if you want.  I miss you.  Where are you anyway?" he questions. 
"I needed a break.  Can't you give me that?" I ask. 
"That's fine," he says.  There's a pause.  "Can I come see you?"
"No," I respond. 
"Why not?" he persists. 
I see Eric coming. 
"I've got to go," I say hanging up without confirmation.
Eric approaches me.  He takes me in his arms firmly and sighs.  He kisses the top of my head.  "Were you talking to someone?" he asks me. 
"Four just called," I mention. 
I feel him stiffen at the mention of him. 
"I don't know why I picked up—habit I guess.  If I would've thought about checking, I would have sent him straight to voicemail," I tell him. 
"What did he have to say?" he questions.  He's feigning nonchalance but I can tell by the tenseness of his body that he's not. 
"Nothing of consequence," I reply.  "At least, nothing I care about involving him."
I feel a kiss to my temple and I can sense his smile across my skin.  "What did he say?" he whispers. 
"That he misses me," I shrug in his embrace.  "He couldn't understand why I didn't tell him where I was and that he wants to be my boyfriend.  He asked to come see me.  I told him no."
"Good," he replies but he still holds me tightly. 
"I know he bothers you.  He bothers me, too," I mention. 
"Yeah," he nods. 
He caresses my cheek and kisses me softly.  I sigh and respond.  His touch soothes my frazzled nerves.  He kisses my cheek, my neck.  I chuckle as he starts to tickle me. 
"Come on," Eric says.  "Let's get to Amity while the rain has stopped."
He takes me by the hand and leads me toward his truck.  We drive to Amity and I'm grateful for the lighthearted conversation on the way.  I'm glad he's not worried about Four.  Everyone else seemed to be in the past. 
He parks near the general store—a place I've never been.  We walk around first, umbrellas in hand just in case.  Eric holds my other hand, never letting go as we stroll through the shops at Amity.  I enter several stores and I'm intrigued with the incredible craftsmanship of the products for sale.  There's ceramic pottery, wood-crafted items of all varieties, handmade quilts and weaved articles, iron tools, and all sorts of artwork.  I'm impressed and wishing I had the points for some things here.  Eric offers to buy me anything I want but I decline.  I'm incredibly touched that he's so giving, though. 
We finally make it back around to the general store and I help him with his grocery selection.  I assist him to carry it out to his truck.  We arrive at his cottage, taking several trips to empty out his purchased goods.  We bring the last bag in just in time as the sky unleashes a massive downpour.  I grin in that we're kind of stuck inside together for a while.  I like that.  I help him put his purchases away and we sit down on the sofa cuddled up together.  We read a book, then just hold each other for a while.  We make dinner and enjoy the pleasant company.  We sit around a bit talking before he drives me back to my cabin.  He kisses me passionately at my door.  It feels like he doesn't want to leave, holding me tightly.  Neither do I, when I'm honest with myself.  But we both need rest... so, I kiss him once more saying goodnight. 
I step into the cabin to see Daisy with her little sister, Lily.  She's brushing her hair again. 
"Are you going to marry Mr Eric?" Lily asks me. 
I laugh uncomfortably in response. 
"Sorry.  Lily tends to speak her mind," Daisy apologizes. 
"It's alright.  Eric and I have only been together for a short time," I reply.  "I guess we'll see how it goes in the future."
Lily smiles at me.  So does Daisy.  I grab my toiletries and head off to the shared women's bathroom.  I brush my teeth and wash my face.  I change and head back.  I drift off easily to the gentle patter of the rain on the roof and windows. 
I wake feeling well rested.  Most everyone in the cabin is gone.  I take my toiletries to the restroom once more.  I find Daisy in there and we chat a bit. 
"I'm glad the rain is finally over," she mentions. 
I blink in surprise.  I hadn't even noticed. 
"Yeah, I'm grateful it's stopped," I agree. 
We shower in separate stalls, then get ready at the sinks and talk.  I find out that her husband passed away a while back but she hasn't removed the the ring yet. I frown at hearing that, telling her I'm so sorry. We finish up dropping our things off at our cabin and go to breakfast together.  I sit with her family, realizing it's much larger than just those in our cabin. I've honestly never seen such an enormous family before. She says it's somewhat common in Amity. I've met most of them already. I know her parents are Gilford and Rose. The girls in the cabin are Violet, Iris, and Lily. Calix is the only younger boy. Daisy is the oldest but she has two brothers that are a few years younger than her—Peregrine and Hawthorn. They're married with families. She introduces me to them. Peregrine is married to Poppy. Their three year old son is Saffron and she's a few months pregnant with another. Hawthorn is married to Sage. Their sons are Alder and Sorrel—two-year old fraternal twins.
They're all pleasant and friendly. The children are well-behaved, reminding me of my own family.  Daisy offers for me to join her at the beach today. 
"Sure," I grin.   "I'm assuming Eric will probably call me shortly." 
As soon as the words leave my mouth, Eric texts me saying he's coming over and he has a surprise.  I respond back telling him that I should be at the beach soon. 
Daisy and I finish breakfast together. Then we get dressed and lotion up heading out for a fun day at the beach with her family. I play with the little ones in the water awaiting the love of my life...