Eighty-Three-Food & Fiction (The Essentials) 24

Tris

As I look the job board over, I see so many options to choose from—more so than there are new members.  I wonder why more than half of the initiates were eliminated when the need appears to be so great...
"See something you want, Stiff?" a voice asks from behind me. 
I jolt in surprise.  Eric chuckles lightly. 
"You're awfully jumpy," he smirks. 
I shrug in response. 
"Just looking," I mumble. 
"You know, you have your pick of the jobs," he mentions. 
I nod.  I see my name next to Leader-in-Training.  That means they're only offering it to me.  There are ranks listed beside the rest.  Peter saw this and threw an absolute fit... threatening me not to take it.  He wanted it.  He mumbled something to himself about taking the leadership aide position and working his way up. 
"What are you considering?" he asks drawing my attention once again. 
I look to him and he's not meeting my eyes.  He almost appears bored. 
"I don't know.  Every option is available," I say which doesn't help narrow it down. 
"Well, good luck with that," he replies leaving. 
I continue staring at the list.

Leader-in-Training___________ (Tris only)
Leadership Aide_____________ (Rank 1-5)
Weapons Design_____________ (Rank 1-5)
Intelligence [Security Office]_____(Rank 1-5)
Intelligence [Control Room] _____(Rank 1-7)
Infirmary Nurse_____________ (Rank 1-7)
Tattoo Artist_______________ (Any Rank)
Cosmology Specialist_________ (Any Rank)
Store Clerk [Women's Clothing]__ (Any Rank)
Stock/Clerk [Grocer]_________ (Any Rank)
Cafeteria Worker___________ (Any Rank)
Janitorial Staff_____________ (Any Rank)
Fence Guard (Unlimited Positions, Any Rank)

I continue to stare at all of the options, not knowing which direction to take my life in. 
"Still deciding, huh?" Four says beside me. 
I smile. 
"Hi," I grin at him. 
"Hi," he says to me with a crooked smile.  "Have you narrowed it down?" he questions. 
I shake my head.  There are too many options and I can take any.  I'm the only one. 
"How about I help?" he suggests. 
"Alright," I agree thinking some advice would be good. 
He goes through and eliminates half of them—any working near leadership is dangerous, he warns. 
I frown and nod thinking maybe I ought to heed his warning.  I was considering the leadership one or some of the other top choices but maybe he's right.  It would be a risk.  Can I hide forever under their noses?  Even Tori cautioned me to stay away from them.
So, I nod again in agreement.
He talks to me about the lower level ones. He advises that janitorial is nasty—that cleanup after others will be a serious challenge. The cafeteria one has a terrible schedule. The fence guards have long shifts away from the compound and in all sorts of weather—rain, shine, or blizzard.
I wince at that. I'm always cold and that sounds kind of awful.
"Have I helped?" he asks wrapping his arms around me.
I grin at him and nod pecking his lips gently.
"Alright. I've got something I have to do but I'll see you around," he tells me.
I nod and smile at him. He leaves me.
I look back at the list and I think I've narrowed it down to something I can live with, stay hidden, have a decent schedule, and enjoy Dauntless life.

****

"You want to do what?" Ryan questions in disbelief—one of the Dauntless leaders assisting me with job selection.
"I think she just picked grocery store," Max mumbles in surprise. "Mark it down."
"But..." Ryan protests throwing a hand up. "She's number one."
"And she has the right to choose whatever she wants," Max replies entering something into his computer.
I smile at that. I was beginning to think maybe I'd chosen wrong.
The older leader hands me my paperwork and I thank him as I take it. I move on to Eric and the female leader I'm unfamiliar with.
"Will you be working with us?" the woman grins.
I shake my head.
She frowns.
"Let it go, Lydia," Eric says gruffly. "Single or double?"
"Oh. Um... double," I tell him awkwardly scratching my arm.
"Roommate?" he questions.
"Christina," I reply.
He nods.  "She's a lower rank," he says as if speaking to himself.  It must matter where to place me or something... maybe what we can afford combined.
"Keys," Lydia smiles handing them to me with a map. 
"Thanks," I reply excitedly. 
I wait for Christina to select her job.  She chooses cosmetology.  We pack up and move into our first apartment together.  It's not too big but not really small either.  We should be fine to afford this with our salaries. 
We spend Saturday cleaning, shopping, and setting up our new place.  She goes out on a date with Will that evening and I meet up with Uriah, Marlene, and Lynn for dinner.  We all start working on Monday.  Uri chose the weapons job, Lynn the security office position, and Marlene is a nurse. 
"Do you know what Will chose?" I ask curiously. 
"Control room," Uri replies. 
I smile at that and wonder about Four since they'll be working together.  I haven't seen him since before I chose.  I finish my dinner and we all part.  I hang around the Chasm and decide to climb down the stairs and sit at the bottom.  It's relaxing and I smile having fond memories of being down here—my first kiss.  I return home and get a good nights rest for tomorrow morning.