Seventy-Seven-I Won't Let You Go 22

Doris Day—'Dream A Little Dream Of Me'

Eric

I walk through the compound to the control room.  I feel so strange tonight—uneasy and I just can't shake it.  I'm not sure why.  I watch the screens pass by with not much activity.  It's a Thursday night and there wouldn't be.  Tomorrow is a different story. 
The screens flash to the Chasm and I see someone standing at the railing.  I feel drawn to her for some reason.  Before I even realize it, I'm walking down the Pit stairs and heading for her.  She's seated on the ground now with her arms wrapped around the middle section of the railing.  Her figure is lovely, her long, golden hair soft and inviting. 
I walk closer and lean up against the rail.  She's still staring at the water below as if in a trance.  I look to her face and I smirk when I realize that I've been checking out the Stiff.  She's changed a lot since she got here.  She's grown taller and much more appealing than the little girl she used to be... but she was always pretty. The last I heard was that she chose a position at the spa in cosmetology.  That's such a drastic change from what she grew up with but by looking at her, it's obvious she's made some serious changes. 
"Hey there, Stiff," I say and she jumps.  "Everything alright?" I ask surprised. 
"Hello, Eric," she says softly. 
I repeat my previous question and she shrugs a shoulder but doesn't really talk to me. 
"Why so quiet?" I ask. 
"I think my boyfriend would be upset to hear that I've been talking to another man," she tells me. 
"Who's your boyfriend?" I inquire. 
"Four," she replies. 
Her voice sounds hoarse and I ask her about it. 
"I may have overdone it at practice today," she responds. 
"What kind of practice?" I question confused. 
"The jazz club, I'll be singing," she tells me. 
"Oh?" I smirk completely intrigued.  "I never would've thought you'd sing."
She looks at me but her hair covers half of her face.  I reach to push it aside and she flinches. 
"I'm not going to hurt you, Stiff," I chuckle but the laugh in my throat dies when I see the black eye she's sporting.  "What happened?" I inquire. 
"Nothing," she replies defensively moving her hair back. 
"Tris," I say firmly.  "Who did that to you?"
"In the ring," she tells me getting up.  I watch her walk away barefooted.  I'm absolutely entranced by her motion. 
I grin.  I'm going to have to see her tomorrow when they open. 

*****

I arrive just as the doors allow access.  It's not too busy yet but it's opening night and my office is a floor down.  The owner asked for permission to rent the space on Fridays and Saturdays.  They set up and tear down but this place has been completely transformed.  It's a glass hall that we use for special occasions.  Now, it's a jazz club with tables set up, a dance floor, and a bar.  The stage looks to be prepped with several instruments including a grand piano. 
I sit at the bar but I've got a view of the stage from here.  I order a beer and notice the crowd is starting to fill in.  There's some recorded jazz currently playing on the speakers but I'm looking forward to the live performances.  We've never done this in Dauntless before and I'm actually pretty excited—most of all I'm looking forward to the little Stiff's performance. 
I glance around in search of her.  When the owner applied for permission, I'd heard they were looking for some musical talent.  I'd even seen posters advertising in the Pit.  I can't believe out of all the people that applied, the Stiff got it.  Maybe she was the only one who tried out...
When the room is bustling with people, I see some guys walking out to play—a pianist, bass player, trumpet, drums, and vocals.  I'm in awe when I see her.  She looks incredible in a long black dress.  It hits the floor and drags when she walks.  I can see her wearing high heels.  She has her makeup and hair done expertly.  Her hair is still covering her black eye.  I hope her opponent looks worse...  I notice Four come in and take a seat at a table nearby. 
She welcomes everyone and the pianist begins to play some jazz, then the others.  She starts singing and I'm absolutely floored.  She's incredible. It's a traditional song—one I've heard before. But her version is fantastic—better than any other variations. Her rendition is sultry. I'm just in awe of her voice. Who would've thought a former Stiff could sound like that... or look so stunning?
I come back every night. I notice their following increases with each performance. More people come and order drinks, some dance. Several go to Erudite for dance lessons just to be able to learn the styles. I'm impressed. This little mobile show has become quite popular. As I walk through the Pit, it's all people can talk about.