Thirty-Five-Reflections 9

Tris

I wake to the light of predawn just peeking in the curtains. I feel a cool summer breeze blow in the window across my cheek. I breathe deeply basking in the silence—the peace in this moment. I sigh and roll over on my side. I hear him grumble, wrapping an arm around my midsection and pulling me back to his chest. I feel his muscles against my back, the rise and fall of his chest as he's still asleep, breathing deeply. I grin at his possessiveness. Even in his slumber, he won't let me go. His arm is tightly against me holding me firmly in place.
I grin and examine the ring he gave me several years ago. It's a shiny black metal with a flower on it. It's beautiful and I absolutely cherish it. He truly does love me. He tells me every day, shows me with all of his actions. I twirl the wedding band behind the engagement ring as I think about our time together—how he pursued me, wooed me. The moment I realized he only ever had eyes for me, I was a goner. I've never known love like this before. Even my parents—though they love each other—they're nowhere near as affectionate as him. He's always holding my hand, cuddling with me, touching me. A girl from Abnegation—where any touch is considered powerful—knows the depth of his love is in every action.
He's an amazing husband—so caring, loyal, and passionate. He's very territorial, though. He doesn't like any male getting too close to me. I don't blame him, I don't like random females close to him either. We made a promise to each other at the start of our relationship, that we'd avoid those types of situations at all cost. He always has someone else with him when it's unavoidable for work and so do I.
He buries his face into my hair with a soft sigh. I feel his hand rubbing my protruding belly containing child number two—his first daughter. The baby kicks and he continues to stroke her and me affectionately. I smile at how much of a loving father and husband he is. I never would've thought the first time I saw him that he would be the one. But he is... my one and only—forever.
I trace the maze tattoo along his other arm beneath my neck sticking out from underneath my pillow. He's always like this—completely wrapped around me. It's as if I'm his cuddly teddy bear and I love it—the constant intertwining as we lay beside one another. It's bliss.
He sighs again and I feel a kiss to my bare shoulder.
"Good morning," I whisper.
He grunts in reply. He's not a morning person... so I lay here and let him snuggle me until he's ready to get up. I feel another kiss... then another before his arm snakes up and turns my chin toward him. I smile and roll over partway to meet his lips with mine in a gentle, loving kiss. He deepens the kiss licking my lips before I hear a cry.
Eric backs away sighing. "He's up an hour early," he grumbles.
"He's getting older," I point out. "I bet he'll give up his morning naps soon, too."
He makes an unpleasant sound at that.
Little Julian cries again.
"I'll get him," Eric says rising.
"Thank you," I respond surprised.
He steps out and comes back a few minutes later.
"He just needed a change," he tells me climbing back into bed. He gets settled beside me once more.
"Are you sure he's not up for the day?" I question.
"He still looked tired," he says. He turns my face to his and captures my lips again.
"Mama," I hear that sweet little angelic voice say beside me.
I laugh in surprise and pull him up with me.
"There's mommy's little escape artist," I tease.
He giggles and hugs me.
"How the heck did he he get out of the crib?" Eric questions.
"He needs a big boy bed. I don't want him to hurt himself," I say as I play with his little white curls. He looks just like Eric.
"I don't want the kids in our bed," he protests.
I frown at Eric.
He sighs irritably and gets up.
"Do you want to go play?" I ask my little sweetheart.
He claps his chubby hands in reply.
"Okay," I smile. I climb up and take him to the living room.  I put a blanket down with some toys. I open the bathroom to Eric in the shower. "Do you want breakfast here?" I ask. "I was thinking of making popovers."
"What's that?" he questions.
"Like a muffin but different," I shrug. "Kind of like a croissant... sort of."
"Yeah, that," he chuckles.
"Alright," I say. I turn the oven on and pull out my cookbook to the page I bookmarked. I put some bacon on a pan, then start to prepare the ingredients and stick the one pan, one tin in the oven. When it's ready, I pour the batter into the hot tin and place it back into the oven, turning down the temperature. I cut some fruit for Jules and get a sippy cup of milk ready.
"Jules? Are you hungry?" I ask.
I see him run to the gate dividing the kitchen from the living room. He starts to climb the gate and I tell him no. He frowns at me, his cute little bottom lip protruding and quivering.  I sit him down and gently explain that he'll hit his head again. The bump is just starting to go away. He frowns but nods. I take him to his highchair and get him situated before I give him his fruit and milk to start. I make two omelettes for Eric and me. I'll share with the baby. I plate them and the oven goes off. I take everything out as Eric joins us. He looks good—just like the first day I saw him. His curls are combed back with gel. He just got a haircut yesterday and he's got his leadership vest on.
"There's my favorite girl," he whispers hugging me from behind. He kisses my cheek and rubs my belly. I sigh happily at the constant affection he showers me with, the attention and confirmation he gives me. 
Julian makes a sound of protest. He gets jealous of Daddy kissing Mommy. I come over and kiss him, too. Eric kisses him on the top of the head and he seems content. I sit between my two boys. I cut up some eggs, vegetables, and bacon for Jules placing them before him. I observe as he picks them up with his hands.
"These are good," Eric says biting into a popover.
"Thank you," I reply grabbing one for us to share. I give my little sweetheart pinches and he loves it, whining for more. "Say please," I insist.
"Peas," he replies. I grin and give him several more bites.
"Eat what you have now," I insist. 
"Kay," he responds in his sweet baby voice. 
"He does anything you say," Eric teases.
"So do you," I point out.
"Yeah," he purses his lips and nods.
"You're a big softly," I joke.
"But only for my girl," he whispers.
I feel a kiss to my temple. I sigh in euphoria. I love these Saturday mornings where there's no rush for anything.
"So... a bed? Is there anything else we need to do today?" Eric asks.
"Christina wanted to let the kids play together," I tell him.
"She's three months. He's too old to play with a baby that small," Eric protests.
"I know. I think she just wants to kind of introduce them," I shrug. "We'll watch them, maybe guide them."
"Alright," he agrees grudgingly.
We go to the home store and pick out a toddler bed for Julian.  Eric has it delivered and assembled for us so we don't have to bother.  We'll have to move the crib to the other bedroom.  I choose some pink baby sheets for the crib and toddler sheets for the new bed.  Eric has them delivered, too, before we meet up with Christina in the Pit.  She's pushing the baby in the stroller.  She's asleep.  I don't think this playtime will work.  We visit nonetheless.  I talk to Christina while Eric and Will entertain Jules.  They let him climb the rocks nearby but Eric is always supervising. 
"When are you due?" Christina asks. 
"Three to four months," I shrug.  "Julian was a month premature so they said I might deliver early again."
"Yeah, that last month for me was killer," she laughs. 
I smile at her. 
"I never would've believed this back during initiation," she says motioning to Eric. 
I smile at how great of a father he is. 
"Yeah," I agree softly. 
"Do you want to go to lunch?" Eric asks.  "This one is hungry already."
"Sure, we could," I nod. 
We all walk to lunch together but separate after we arrive.  I wave to Christina while I take Julian up to sit with leadership.  I'm staying home with the children but Eric is a leader for life.  I see Four catch my eyes as I hold Julian's hand with one of mine and my other resting on the baby bump.  He's been so jealous of Eric from the start, but even more so since it was first noticeable that I was pregnant with Julian.  I ignore him and keep walking, getting Julian situated in his highchair.  Eric comes back with two trays. 
"Thank you," I say softly as he sets one down in front of me. 
He kisses me lovingly and Julian protests again.  I kiss him as well but explain that Daddy likes to show how much he loves me by kissing me.  Jules gives me a kiss, too, and I smile at that. 
"I love you, too, sweetheart," I tell him. 
"Luv mama," he tells me.  My smile grows. 
I divvy out some food for him and pull out his sippy cup from my bag. 
"Tanks," he says.
"You're welcome," I reply. 
He smiles up at me and giggles. 
Eric tells the other leaders how Julian is climbing on everything and how he escaped from his bed today.  Everyone laughs and comments about how Dauntless he is.  I grin at that and look up.  Four is still staring.  After so many years, I figured he'd find someone else.  I look away and focus on my men and having a good day. 
We finish eating and I wipe Julian's face and hands before we leave.  I let him down from the highchair and he wants me to pick him up, reaching his hands up for me.  I frown.  I'm not supposed to pick him up anymore—doctor's orders. 
"I've got him," Eric says picking him up and putting him over his head on his shoulders.  Julian protests at first until he sees the seat he gets.  He claps his hands in excitement. 
"Thank you," I whisper and kiss him gently.  Julian wants one, too, and I kiss his hand since it's all I can reach.  He seems satisfied. 
Eric grabs one tray, holding Jules with his other.  I get the other tray holding my belly as well.  There's just too many people here to not be cautious.  We stride to the tray return together and out of the cafeteria. 
"What do you think?" Eric asks. 
"We could take him to the park to play before his afternoon nap," I suggest. 
"We could do that," he nods. 
We exit the compound and take a leisurely stroll toward our house.  There's a playground on the way and I think he's ready to get the climbing out of his system.  We arrive and Jules immediately runs off.  I smile and follow as Eric keeps in step.  We both assist him to climb the steps, then go down the slides.  I push him on the swing set for a while before he wants to climb some more.  He goes up on the jungle gym and I take a seat on a bench while Eric stays with him. 
"You have a beautiful family," someone whispers beside me. 
I surrender my attention to him.  "What are you doing here, Four?" I question in surprise. 
"Just watching the kids play," he shrugs. 
I go to get up but he puts a gentle hand to my arm to stop me. 
"What do you want?" I ask again. 
He looks down to my protruding belly. 
"I really messed up, didn't I?" he questions softly. 
"I think you need to move on," I tell him seriously rising to stand.  "I heard there was another Abnegation transfer and three Amities.  Perhaps you could find someone new," I suggest before I step away. 
"Yeah," he says softly to my retreating form. 
"I thought you were tired," Eric says confused. 
"Yeah, well... that was before Four just tried to talk with me," I admit. 
His expression gets hard and he searches the area for his adversary.  He's gone, though.  "What'd he want?" he questions. 
"He just said some things to me that makes me think he's never moved on," I say folding my arms over my chest.  "I told him to find someone else and left."
"Good," he says seriously meeting my eyes. 
I hear a yawn coming from Julian. 
"It sounds like it's time," I tell Eric softly. 
He smirks at me and nods. 
"Race you home?" Eric says picking him up and setting him down.  "The rules are that you have to stay on the sidewalk."
Jules nods and runs with Daddy down the street.  I arrive home last as Eric steps out of his bedroom. 
"They already handled the sheets and put the crib in the baby's room," he whispers. 
"Did you change him?" I ask. 
He nods. 
"Wash his hands?" I question.  He still sucks his thumb at bedtime. 
He nods again.
"I think I need a nap, too," he whispers seductively as he picks me up and carries me to our bedroom. 
I chuckle breathily.  He's not interested in napping.  He locks the bedroom door this time and sets me on the bed.  I glance to my wedding ring again and can't help but be grateful that I chose Eric.  He kisses me gently and I sigh happily.