Thirty-Nine-Round Two 11.3

Eric

"Do you want to go zip lining?" I offer as we walk the Pit.
"Is anyone else going?" she asks.
"Just us," I smirk. "I heard Zeke mention he was going tonight, though."
She questions about the harnesses. I explain that we'll bring it and I can set it up. We head out for the train and I open the door before the staircase to grab one.
"Only one?" she questions.
"We can share," I grin.
"Oh," she says surprised.
I lead her up the stairs and we wait for the train. I hold her in my arms as we stand beside the tracks. I nuzzle her and I feel a peck to my cheek. The blare of the train approaching in the distance is audible. I toss the harness over my shoulder and grab her hand with my free one once it's within sight. We run together and I help her on—even though I know she doesn't need it, just because I want to. I climb in, too, tossing the harness aside and pulling her with me. I sit her between my legs and I hold her to my chest as we ride the train. We chat about likes and dislikes, favorite foods and least favorites. She says she's always kind of wanted a pet but they weren't allowed in her old faction.
"What kind?" I ask.
"I don't know," she shrugs. "Maybe I should start out small since I've never had one before. Christina said she had a dog and she liked him but it was a large responsibility. I'm thinking a rabbit or something like that."
"No reptiles?" I tease.
"I don't know about that. Uriah has a pet snake. He's really into them. I've held it before but I don't think I'd want one. They're just not my thing. I've heard you shouldn't have reptiles around little children, that they carry diseases," she says.
"Oh? Are you planning on having lots of little ones?" I question grinning.
"I would like children some day," she admits.
I take her left hand in mine and separate her fingers. I place mine between them. "I think I would, too," I tell her earnestly.
She looks over her shoulder at me and she's smiling. She pecks my lips gently. She separates from me but her eyes remain closed. I think she's as happy with me as I am with her.
"Our stop is coming up," I whisper.
"Okay," she says climbing up.
I join her and pick up our harness again.  She pulls the door open to our train car and the Hancock Building is within sight. 
"Just up ahead," I tell her. 
"I remember," she grins. 
She looks really excited.  She jumps first and I follow.  I lace our fingers together and walk with her to the building.  We arrive to the broken doors and open them. 
"Stairs or elevator?" I inquire. 
She chuckles.  "Um... elevator if we could?" she requests. 
"That is a lot of stairs," I agree.  "The breaker is over this way." 
I lead her there and turn the main power switch on.  The lights flicker on and we walk toward the elevator.  I press the button to take us up.  We step in and I can't help but back her up and kiss her.  She laughs in surprise but kisses me as well.  I feel the excitement of her kiss and the momentum from the rising of the elevator.  It's a pleasant experience.  The elevator door opens to our floor and we separate briefly to make our way to the ladder. 
"Let me pull my hair back first," she says.  "Last time I'm sure I looked ridiculous."
I chuckle at that and actually remember seeing her with her wild, windblown hair.  I didn't realize that's where she had been but it was obvious now that I think about it. She looked good.  I wait nonetheless and follow her up the ladder. The wind is harsh up here—deafening and powerful—so I hold her close to me. We approach the line together and I set up the harness.
"How do you want to go down?" I ask above the wind.
"I don't know! What ways are there?" she questions me so I can hear her.
I decide to demonstrate with her and me in the harness. I show her face first forward with me behind her. Then her facing me with me facing her. She blushes heavily at that. We try side by side—facing each other on our sides and head first.
"How about this?" she asks.
I nod.  I grasp her firmly, pulling her flush toward me and tug on the harness to tighten us. We step up on the ledge together. I watch her for a moment as she's surveying the sight before us.  It is spectacular.  One can see all of our city from here and even Amity in the distance—a breathtaking and unique perspective only seen from this spot.  I can't help but lean down slightly to kiss her as she stands beside me on the ledge. I feel her leaning us forward and I break apart chuckling at her excitement and urgent behavior to get us going. I wrap my arms around her and jump pushing us off. She's laughing beside me at the rush of wind, the momentum of us careening through the air.  This is incredible—even more so partnered with someone.  This is my first, and I'm glad it's with her. I see her spread her arms out and I can't help but draw myself nearer to her. I kiss her neck and feel her arms surround me. I look at her face and she's smiling down at me. I capture her lips and I feel her fast heartbeat against my chest. She responds and I deepen the kiss. This is bliss. I peck her a few more times before we draw our attention to the sight and the experience. I remain with my arms around her and she spreads hers out once more—like a bird—as we continue down the line through town. We begin to slow and I realize I've shifted slightly, my weight drawing me further on my back and her just barely on her side. We get to the end of the line and make a full stop.
"That was great," Tris laughs.
"It was," I agree.
I release the holds on us and she's able to climb out and hold onto the line.  I detach the harness from the zip line and toss it out of the way onto the ground below.
"I'll jump first and catch you," I tell her. 
She grins in response.  I let go of the line and land solidly on my feet before I motion for her to join me.  She releases the line and I watch her fall. I catch her firmly in my arms holding her to my chest. 
"We should definitely do that again," she chuckles. 
"You want to go again?" I inquire. 
"You mean now?" she asks.
"Sure," I shrug. 
"Nah, I don't think my heart can take it," she jokes. 
I smirk in response as I set her onto solid ground.  I grasp the harness and her hand prior to us walking toward the train tracks.  We make it there and continue on further down the line following the tracks.  A few minutes later, the blare is perceptible in the distance. 
"This one is faster," I remind her. 
"Okay," she nods. 
When the train is within view, we begin to run.  She jumps on straight away opening the door for the two of us and climbing on.  I toss the harness in and jump on, pulling myself in quickly.  She shuts the door behind me.  I guide her over with me and sit down in the same position as before—me seated, leaned up against the wall, her between my legs with her back to me and head against my chest. We ride to the compound with my arms wrapped around her once again.  I feel her trace my maze tattoos trying to solve the puzzle.  She discovers that they're both unsolvable.  I laugh lightly when she meets my eyes. 
"Why isn't there a solution?" she questions. 
"Because I feel like both factions are just a maze," I shrug.  "Going to another didn't solve my problems.  It just gave me more problems and more questions."
"Like what?" she says nudging me under my neck with her face.  The feeling is so intimate and unique that I can't help but shudder when she kisses me there.  I focus on the question, though. 
"I don't know," I shrug.  "The great mysteries of the world... I suppose.  Why we're all here—in this fence, the reasons for life, what will my future hold..."
"Would it be strange if I told you about a place where I find some of the answers to those questions?" she asks me.  I raise a skeptical eyebrow at that.  "Not all of them, though," she insists. 
So, I agree.  She tells me about her church and what she believes.  I find it interesting—a different perspective that fills in some gaps for her.  Several of her points are straight out of things my parents had taught me growing up with a bit if religion added.  I nod that these ideas of hers aren't so bad—they're honorable, fair, compassionate...
I continue to hold her in my embrace as the train pushes on home. I enjoy the closeness of this moment, the feeling of having her in my arms. We round the bend and I can see Dauntless territory coming into view. We ready to exit the train car and she's already out before I even notice. I jump after her quickly intertwining our fingers together before entering the darkness of the Pit.