Seventy-Four-You Save Me, I Save You 21.5

Eric

We stay in bed for days.  I can't get enough of her and she can't get enough of me.  I tell her over and over how much I love her.  She tells me the same. 
"Wife," I grin kissing her. 
"I love to hear you say that," she laughs lightly. 
"I just had a thought," I mention. 
"Hmm?" she hums a reply. 
"What if you get pregnant?" I ask.  "How will I protect you both?"
"It's fine.  Dana gave me some other medicine when she stopped by," Tris tells me.  "I'm on the pill.  You don't mind, do you?"
"Does it work that fast?" I question. 
"The first pack she gave me should," she explains. 
"Okay," I nod.  "I love you."
"And I love you," she replies kissing me. 
We stay in bed for days and days after that... no worries from me. 

*****

We finally decide to return.  We took about a month honeymoon, give or take.  I've got to thank Dana for everything.  It's a Friday and our reception is planned for tonight.  We'll have the weekend off before we have to return to work—me in the leadership offices, her in Jax's office—our army general. 
Christina took the day off and she meets us at the parking garage.  They're going dress shopping and to the spa today.  I frown because I don't want to leave her just yet.  I give her my point card, though. 
"Buy whatever you want.  Cost is irrelevant," I insist. 
"But... what if I go over?" she frowns.  She knows it's getting low.  The cost of everything is adding up. 
"It doesn't matter.  Next month's will cover it.  Leadership cards are different," I explain. 
She nods. 
"Don't let her pick out anything cheap," I tell Christina.  "It needs to be extravagant."
"I can handle that," she grins.  She hugs Tris again and then me. 
I kiss Tris and everyone in our vicinity cheers.  I think they're just as excited about tonight as we are. 
"I love you," she tells me. 
"And I love you," I reply.  She waves to me as she and Christina leave. 
I take our bags upstairs.  I unpack and start some laundry.  I wash our bedding and I make sure my suit and everything is ready. I have some groceries delivered today for the weekend. I tidy up the apartment a little—enough to move around.
I'm glad when it's time for me to get ready.  I call her close to the meeting time and she's all set and waiting for me.  I promised I'd pick her up and take her to the meeting place before dinner. 
I stride down through the Pit in my best suit.  Everyone notices and cheers as I pass.  I see all the guys wearing suits, shirts and ties, or at the very least polo shirts—their best dress clothes.  I see some of the high ranking officers wearing their dress uniforms and they look sharp. 
"Sir," one nods removing his hat. 
I nod to him. 
Yeah, the faction is excited.  All the girls are wearing elaborate dresses and I'm thrilled to see what Tris picked out.  I hope it's more extravagant so she stands out.  I arrive at the spa and I'm led back to where they're waiting. 
I stop short at the door.

((Tris's dress—but all black))

"Is that my wife?" I ask in awe. 
She smiles at me.  Yeah, I've never seen her dress up like this.  Her dress is sheer—sort of.  It's not translucent, just composed of so many layers.  The gown has a full skirt that flows outward.  It looks like it's made of hundreds of strips of sheer material that drapes down.  I see there's one piece covering it all on the outside and it has a ruffle going around near the base to hold it all in.  She steps and I see it has an extended train of almost ruffles that follow in her wake.  I take her hand and examine the top.  The straps—if I can even call them that—consist of two gathered sections of that same sheer material making up the entire top from the waist up—which has a ribbon around it.  From the waist to the bust is made up of those same strips of sheer fabric going in every which way.  The amount of layers is incredible.  It's as if the top is consisted of so much that it's no longer transparent except for near the shoulders where it's gathered into two loose avant-garde and uneven straps.  The midsection looks to have stitched fern leaf patterns or some sort of organic design throughout holding the entire top together.  I turn her and her dress bumps my legs as I inspect her hairstyle.  It's made up of some sort of stylistic fishtail braid that starts small by her face and weaves through to the back of her head where it spirals into a loose, showy kind of knot—definitely not Abnegation style.  It's large and loose and there are black feathers that fan out of her style.  It's definitely a show-stopper.  She will absolutely stand out.  I notice something different, though. 
"Did you color your hair?" I ask. 
"I got highlights—some lightened strips," she shrugs both shoulders and her strap moves slightly. 
I stare at her—where her scar is.  There's a heart around the bullet scar.  It's a new tattoo.  I touch it gingerly because it does look sore.  The heart is made of words.  It says, I love Eric and I would do it again
"Baby," I whisper. 
"We honestly spent most of the day with Tori," she admits.  "That tiny print takes a long time."
I kiss her and realize I'm probably messing up her makeup. 
"It's fine.  Just no wet kisses until later," she teases. 
I chuckle at that.  "You're so beautiful," I tell her.
"I remember the first time you ever told me that," she smiles. 
"And I meant it then, too," I tell her. 
"I know you did," she says staring at me. 
"Let's go," I smile. 
She nods and grasps a bouquet of mostly black roses.  But there are a few dark purple ones in there and some black leaves that match her dress.  They stick out of the bouquet like the feathers in her hair. 
"How did you do all this?" I question.
"That would be me," Christina divulges.  "I've been shopping since you guys left."
I chuckle at that and thank her.
The staff here spreads her dress out and we walk through the compound for the faction to see. Everyone is shouting and cheering. Tris is laughing bashfully beside me.  We get to the largest part of the Pit and I stop her, kissing her in front of everybody.  They're pounding on the walls, stomping on the ground.  I chuckle as I see the light fixtures shaking up there. 
"We better get out of here before those fall on us," she jokes. 
I chuckle in reply and lead the way.  I love her sense of humor.  The more I've gotten to know her, the more I realized how similar we are. 
I lead her through toward the back entrance of the cafeteria.  There will be an announcement tonight—my marriage announcement.  Christina joins us since she's technically part of the wedding party.  I chose Ryan regardless of what was said before.  He's still my best man, my best friend.  I hope someday he'll understand. 
We climb the staircase in the back hallway and Christina helps with Tris's dress. 
"Did I ruin it?" Tris asks. 
"Nope.  Erudite made some fancy spray they put on it.  Nothing will stick to the bottom—no dust, no dirt.  It's like statically charged to repel or something," she explains shrugging. 
"That's interesting," Tris replies. 
I agree. 
I open the door to the conference room.  Everyone is sitting around waiting for us.  Ryan rises and approaches me.  He actually hugs me. 
"Congratulations, man," he says. 
"Thanks," I smirk at him. 
"Did you get a new tattoo?" he asks Tris. 
"I did," she nods. 
"What does it say?  That's really small," he inquires. 
"I love Eric and I would do it again," she replies.
"You put that in a heart around the bullet wound?" Lydia asks in surprise. 
"I did," Tris nods. 
Lydia and Max share a look. 
He rises and walks over to me. 
"The faction is pretty excited," he says patting me on the back.  "They haven't had a wedding since mine.  For most of these young 'uns, this is their first."
I grin at that. 
Jude approaches me and he hugs me as Tris and Lydia talk.  She looks at her tattoo and they're speaking with Christina. 
"The faction is pretty excited," Jude agrees.  "It's mostly because you married the woman that saved your life.  Many of them were present and saw what she did."
Max clears his throat. 
"It's true.  I call it like I see it," Jude states. 
"Thank you," I reply.  "That's exactly how I see her, too."
He smiles at me and pats my back. 
"Let's do this," he says.  "I'll announce them."
"You'll come out with me first," Ryan tells Christina.  She smiles at him and takes his offered arm.  "Otherwise we'll never leave," he jokes and I'm feeling like he's more of his old self. 
Jude enters the platform first with Lydia and Max following.  They all step aside.  Jude introduces Ryan and Christina.  I squeeze Tris's hand as we listen to the faction cheer for them.  When they calm, Jude introduces my bride and me.  The cheering is almost deafening.  We enter the doorway and the noise increases.  I can feel them pounding.  It's like a rhythmic pulse of pounding with a steady stream of shouts and whistles.  I take my bride in my arms and I kiss her passionately.  I feel a quaking where we stand.  They've never been this riled up.  We chuckle at each other and then look out to the faction and wave. 
"Is it always like this?" she asks. 
"No, this all about you and what you did, and what we are," I explain. 
She meets my eyes and hers soften at that.  She kisses me gently and turns back to the loving crowd.  By the time they quiet down enough for us to descend, I hope the food isn't cold.  We take the middle seats, then Christina and Lydia beside Tris.  Ryan is next to me, followed by Max and Jude.  We sit and the faction follows.  Tris sets her bouquet in a vase on the table.  Before we're even served, the faction pounds their cups. 
"Eric?  What's..." Tris asks but I turn her face toward me and kiss her.  They cheer in response. 
She giggles when she realizes. 
"They will be doing that the whole night," I warn her.  "Small bites."
She laughs and nods. 
We're served a salad. 
"Is that a quarter of a head of lettuce?" Tris grins. 
"What?  It's a wedge salad," Christina defends. 
I'm sure she chose the menu. 
"It's fine," I chuckle.  "What kind is this?" I ask. 
"Caesar.  I always thought it was fancy," she replies. 
"I like Caesar," I nod. 
"Why?" Tris asks curiously. 
"Anchovies," I point out. 
"Is that fish?" she asks. 
I nod. 
"Good choice," she compliments Christina. 
"Thank you," she says proudly. 
"This is probably the best one I've had," I tell her. 
She smiles at me.  "I like him way better than Number Boy," she tells Tris. 
I grin at that.  I look to the cafeteria and I feel like I actually see him there. 
"You made sure he was in Erudite, right?" I ask Ryan. 
"Who?" he questions. 
"Four," I respond. 
"Factionless attacked the escort.  He escaped," he tells me. 
"He's in the kitchen," I tell him. 
"Where?" he questions. 
"Hooded sweatshirt.  Staff entrance," I point out. 
He quietly calls security. 
"What's going on?" Tris asks me. 
"Nothing to worry about, baby," I lie. 
I see guards coming in and he bolts. 
"Please tell me you had backup sent around to the kitchen back door," I say to Ryan. 
He winces in reply.  He was never Erudite.  I think about it, though... am I still Erudite?  I would've done that. 
Everyone begins to pound their glasses.  I kiss her again and hope for the best tonight. 
We're served dinner. My plate consists of beef tenderloin, sour cream and chive mashed potatoes, with roasted carrots and yellow squash. 
"What's this?" Tris asks.  "Roast beef?"
"It's like a steak," I tell her.  I explain the meal for her membership.  She still looks confused.  She tells me she had chicken.  "Baby?" I chuckle.  "When beef is an option next time, pick that."
"I was nervous," she admits. 
"How about now?" I question. 
"Before I came to the bedroom that first night," she whispers in my ear.  "I was shaking.  I only brought the one nightgown in there.  I wanted to, but then I got nervous.  I had to talk myself into it.  I was shaking like a leaf."
"How about after?" I whisper seductively in her ear. 
She laughs and looks to me bashfully.  She bites her lip.  "Maybe the first two times.  After that, I was only trembling in euphoria," she whispers. 
"Me, too," I admit.  I kiss her without the prompt and everyone cheers. 
"Come on, man.  We're all ready for cake and you two have barely started your dinner," Ryan jokes. 
We both chuckle at that. 
"You need a wife, Ryan," I tease.  "Then maybe you'll understand some things are more important than dessert."
"And what's that?" he asks. 
"They were talking about sex," Lydia teases. 
"Oh, my goodness," Christina says in shock.  "You guys were talking about leaves."
"So, when are you and Will getting married?" Tris asks her. 
"Oh, I want a big ceremony," she says and I notice the ring on her finger.  "Maybe January?"
"Congratulations," I smile at her. 
"Thank you," she beams. 
"I didn't know she was taken," Ryan frowns. 
"There's plenty more fish in the pond," I tell him. 
"I hope so," he replies. 
He actually does look happy for us.  Maybe time has changed him. 
We eat together and Tris loves the beef.  The whole meal is incredible and Christina can pick my dinner anytime.