Twenty-One-Sweet Dreams 6.2

Eric

I arrive at the cafeteria for dinner.  We're having pizza tonight.  I grab several slices, some breadsticks, and a salad.  I just get a water bottle since I'm not interested in the other choices of beverages.  I walk up to the leadership table and sit between Lydia and Ryan. 
"Hey, what took you so long?" Ryan questions between bites. 
"I put my paperwork on my desk," I shrug. 
"Oh... so you want to go out drinking?" he asks. 
"I could go for a beer," I agree nodding. 
We finish our dinner and go out together.  We sit at the bar sipping our beers and chatting.  He picked the sports bar and I'm kind of glad.  There are recordings of old fighting league matches playing on the screens.  I see Lydia's boyfriend—Hale—when he was new to the league up there.  I'm in awe of how much muscle he's put on over the years.  He's pitted up against a shorter, but buffer opponent.  They slam each other around.  I chuckle when I see Hale grab a metal, folding chair and hit the other guy with it.  It's all fake but it's hilarious and infectious. 
"I love this stuff, man," Ryan says toasting to the screen. 
"We should go to a match sometime," I suggest. 
"Oh, that's an excellent idea.  When are they fighting next?" he asks. 
"I don't know.  I'll have to ask Lydia.  She always knows," I say sipping my beer. 
The fight ends and it'll be a while before they play another. 
"You want to go to the dance club?" Ryan questions. 
"Are you planning on dancing with anyone?" I ask him. 
"Not really," he admits.  "I think all the ladies are either scared of me, intimidated by me, or believe the rumor mill of the last couple years and won't come near me."
"Same," I admit.  I've been tough with some people but we kind of have to be.  What kind of leader would we be if we were pushovers? 
"Karaoke?" he asks. 
"Eh," I wince.  "Last time we went there, someone thought they had talent and didn't.  My head hurts just thinking about it."
"What else is there?" he asks himself. 
"More of the same," I shrug.  There are several different dance clubs and two more sports bars.  One has old sports paraphernalia that's been found around the city covering the walls and it always feels more like going to a museum.  They serve food there, too, but we've already eaten. 
"We could grab some beers at the store and drink in the Pit," he offers. 
"I feel like you drinking in the Pit is a bad idea.  Everyone will see and there will be rumors.  It's okay for everyone else, but us?  It's probably not the best course of action," I recommend. 
"Yeah, you're probably right," he sighs. 
"Hey, another fight is up," I notice as the screens cue up another one. 
"Oh, this one is old," Ryan comments.  "Look how sketchy the film quality is," he points out. 
"Yeah," I nod.  I wonder why the older ones look like that but it's interesting.
We stay for a while, thinking where we are is the best option. I cut Ryan off at three and we head home for the night. I walk him to his place and then get ready for bed. I lay down and instantly fall asleep...
My dreams are riddled with concern... for Tris. I toss and turn the entire night. I'm not sure why she was in my dreams like that but I try to shake the thought out of my head as I exercise Saturday morning. I didn't see her at breakfast and oddly Christina wasn't there either. They're roommates so maybe they're doing something together today so I dismiss any concern. I shower and then go to lunch. I look up and neither of them are present. I see Four sitting with Zeke kind of picking at his food.
I go home and read a book. Ryan comes over and we play cards and drink a little at my apartment, ordering some takeout. I have one beer and cut him off at three again before walking him home. I go to sleep this time and actually have pleasant dreams... involving Tris. I wake up and immediately try to push those thoughts out of my head.
On Sundays, Tris and Christina are usually nowhere to be found in the mornings so I assume they're doing what they usually do. I workout again since I always feel like I can take my time on the weekends and less members are here. I shower and show up to lunch only seeing Christina at the table and no Tris. If we were closer, I'd ask if she's sick or something. I sit through lunch and kind of observe their table. Four is on one side kind of stewing and pouting... while Christina is in the other and actually being quiet for a former Candor. She looks kind of irritable.
I get up from the table when I finish and set my tray on the return. I see Christina coming out of the line with a takeout bag in hand and I can't help myself from approaching her.
"Is she sick or something?" I question.
She blinks in surprise that I'm actually talking to her.
"I haven't seen her all weekend," I shrug.
"Tris isn't feeling so well but she's not sick," she explains.
But that just confuses me more.
"Are you sure she doesn't need to go to the infirmary?" I inquire.
"No. She just needs some time alone," she tells me.
I nod in understanding. Maybe something happened to one of her parents or something.
I spend the rest of the day kind of walking around the Pit. I'm not really shopping or anything, I'm just kind if tired of being cooped up in my apartment on the weekends. I decide to walk around outside since it's a nice day when I approach the exit by the train. I walk the commercial area just over the tracks and then the boarder to Candor. There are some trees that line the space between our two factions along the creek dividing us and them. I see the leaves changing and I realize that she's been here close to six months. They arrived in early spring and now it's early fall. It's nice out here with touches or red and yellow just appearing on the tips of the leaves. I actually feel better than usual getting out and I think I'll do this more often.
I go to dinner and she's still not there—Christina taking her a meal again. Ryan and I climb the rock wall together after dinner and we head home afterwards knowing we'll see each other bright and early the next day.  I hope everything is okay with her...