Sixty-Four-Have I Changed That Much? 19.4

Eric

As I escort Tris to lunch, I can't help but question her about the dorms. "Why separate them?" I ask curiously.
"Less sexual harassment," she states.
"Is that really a problem?" I question surprised. Nothing like that happened in my group that I'm aware of.
"You have no idea. Last year was a nightmare with Hayes... and others," she tells me.
"You know, you're supposed to say something if there's a problem," I point out.
"Oh? Perhaps transfers should be told that then," she suggests.
"See? This is why I need you," I grin.
She chuckles bashfully.
We enter into the cafeteria and go through the line together.
"Hamburgers," she mumbles.
She gets cheese, ketchup, fries, and a salad. I grab a double with everything on it and the same as her but more.
"What's all that?" she asks about my burger.
"Everything," I grin.
"I could go for some bacon," she tells me. I grab a piece with the tongs and set it on hers. She stares at me waiting. I grab her another. She smiles at me. We exit the line and I walk her to her table.
"I'll let you know," I tell her.
"Alright," she grins.
I stride up to my table and everyone is there except Ryan. I see him step into the cafeteria with a box in hand.
"How'd it go?" Max asks me as I sit beside him. 
"Thirty-eight," I tell him.
"That's good," he nods.
"We all need to talk," I state.
"Shoot," Jude says.
"I'll wait for Ryan," I tell him as I see him leaving the line with his tray.
He sits beside me and gives me the box of point cards. 
"I was thinking we could use another trainer," I mention. 
"Who do you have in mind?" Max asks. 
"Tris," I tell him. 
He guffaws. 
"Here him out," Ryan insists. 
"Alright.  If Ryan's taking you seriously and he doesn't take anything seriously, I'm intrigued," Max nods. 
"Without giving any Dauntless secrets away, she got every single transfer to jump from the train.  The last one clearly had a fear of heights and she jumped in the entrance without us having to say anything," I admit. 
"Do you know what she said to them?" Jude inquires. 
"Yeah, I'm curious, too," Lydia nods. 
"She told them to follow us and do what we say without question," I divulge. 
"There still had to have been some stragglers," Max insists. 
"Two girls," I nod.  "She reached out her hands and jumped with them."
"That's not really our way," Max points out. 
"I agree but the Amity girl that's afraid of heights jumped on her own without any coaxing at all.  She told herself to be brave," I explain. 
Max purses his lips and nods. 
"I see your point.  She's pulling their courage out of them on the first day," he says. 
"Exactly.  Imagine what she could accomplish with them," I point out. 
"She was low in her first stage rank," he mentions. 
"She's taller, stronger, and you should've seen her last fight.  I complimented her," I admit. 
"When was this?" Jude asks. 
"After the last fights last year," I reply.  "She had to be pulled off of her opponent."
Max and Jude share a look.  They nod.  That's good enough for me. 
"She's all yours," Max responds.  "Figuratively speaking.  I can't just give you a member," he teases.
I chuckle at that. 
"Though, he wishes you would," Ryan jokes. 
"No doubt," Lydia adds. 
I see Tris get up and leave. 
"She had some stipulations for me," I mention. 
"She's not easy," Ryan teases. 
"No, she's not," I reply. 
I explain what she told me to them. 
"I'm fine with switching the dorms," Lydia agrees. 
We all look to her. 
"Sexual harassment was a problem in my initiation," she divulges. 
"I never had an issue," Jude comments.  All of us agree. 
"None of you are female," she points out.  "I guarantee there's been at least one male harassing every pretty girl each year."
"I'll change them," I divulge.  I honestly didn't know that.  I would have had I known. 
"Good," Lydia nods.  "I already like her.  She stands up for those without a voice."
"That's scriptural," Jude points out. 
"From the manifesto," Lydia disagrees shaking her head. 
"From both," Jude corrects.  "Where do you think those honorable qualities came from?  Most of them are Christian-based."
"Huh, I didn't know that," Lydia says. 
"I'm fine with the point system," Max tells me.  "You're handling it.  It's your decision."
"Alright.  I'll work some things out with her," I nod. 
I stand up going to talk to Four and Lauren at their table.  Four looks shocked about me changing the dorms... but when I mention Tris will be assisting I see understanding there.  He really is in love with her.  It's obvious.  I honestly wonder what happened between them.  I've seen them kiss before... but it's been almost a year. 
"I better let the Dauntless-born know," Lauren says rising. 
"Oh, tell them their points are added on," I mention. 
She nods in understanding. 
I rise.  "Transfers!" I call out.  "Follow me."
I start walking and oddly Four joins me.  We lead the transfers through the corridors to their dorms.  I open the doors to both.  There are eight beds in one, ten in the other.
"Male dorm, female dorm," I motion to each.  I give out the general ground rules and pass out point cards.  "Basic toiletries are provided along with towels and sheets.  Get some clothes for training and whatever you want besides that.  This will be all you get until stage one is completed.  You will be exercising for eight hours tomorrow so get some sleep."
I look to Four. 
"Anything else to add?" I ask him. 
"Nope," he shakes his head. 
"Alright.  Dinner is served between five and eight.  You're free to go," I tell them. 
They all look excited.  I turn on my heel and leave.  Four follows me again. 
"What's going on between you and Tris?" he asks me. 
"Ah, so that's what you want," I nod.  I don't respond, though. 
"Are you dating or something?" he asks. 
I wish
"What makes you say that?" I question. 
"I've seen you two together more in the last week or so than the last year," he mentions. 
I nod at that. 
"So, what's going on?" he asks. 
"We're friends," I admit. 
"That's all?" he questions. 
I nod. 
"Huh, I find that surprising," he mumbles. 
"Why's that?" I ask. 
"No reason," he says defensively. 
"Are you coming to my office with me?" I ask. 
"What's the plan for this year?" he inquires. 
"I'm still mulling it over," I admit. 
"You haven't decided?" he asks surprised. 
"Tris pulled two more initiates out of the train," I mention.  "She's convinced several to be brave in a matter of minutes.  I'm considering her suggestions."
"Why don't you consider mine?" he questions harshly. 
"Because she produces better results than you," I admit. 
He looks insulted but I don't care.  Even Max threatened to remove him if there were more issues last year.  He wasn't handling their training well.  They were out of control.  I stride up the stairs in the Pit and he doesn't continue to follow me.  I'm glad.  He was starting to annoy. 
I take the elevator up to my office and cross through the hallway.  Everyone else is in their offices already.  I sit down and peruse my stack of work for today.  It's light because technically I'm not supposed to be in here.  I fill out the form I'm given for permission of maternity leave.  I hadn't realized one of the aides was pregnant.  She's not married.  I think it through and I bet that kid will be in the nursery when she comes back.  I handle the other items in my basket and then check my email.  There's one already from Jeanine.