Fifty-Three-You Don't Know Me 17.1

Ray Charles—'You Don't Know Me'

Eric

I'm so tired of the same old things with my friends.  All they want to do is drink excessively, party, and thrill seek.  I wouldn't say it's growing old... I just feel like something is missing—lacking.  I've never been a heavy drinker. I don't mind parties but not every weekend, or all weekend long. And I don't mind thrill seeking but there's got to be more than this in Dauntless.
I sit at a table outside a cafe in the Pit with a cup of tea and a book on a Friday night.  I observe a barbershop across the hallway.  I've never seen that one before. 
I notice some guy just sitting down in the hot seat and a beautiful, willowy stylist sprays his hair.  She combs it out.  She's slightly curvy and gorgeous.  Her long, light blonde hair is upswept in a loose, messy knot.  She buzzes the back and sides similar to mine.  She artfully scissor cuts the top into a style.  I can't help but be entranced by the motions of her hands.  I honestly can't look away as she works.  She washes it afterward and then dries it. 
Every time I think I'll get a glimpse of her face, the sign or a poster gets in the way.  I observe as she dyes his hair.  It looks like he's getting a bit bleached or lightened.  I see her trim and style his beard.  The guy is grinning at her as she clips it.  It looks like she's making him laugh. 
Afterward, she takes him to the sink and washes the product out of his hair.  She washes the cut hair off of his face and neck—which is nice and you don't see too many places actually doing that. 
She takes him back to the chair and dries it.  He shows her what he wants and she nods.  She puts some product into his hair and styles it drying it a bit more. 
I watch her take the barber cape off of him and he examines his hair.  He nods smiling.  It actually looks really good—not my style but it suits him.  His hair is maybe half the length of my hair on top.  It's standing on end and kind of swooped to the side with a sort of windblown look.  His hair is dark to medium brown and it's definitely lightened—highlighted almost.  Before his beard was kind if scraggly and unkempt.  Now it's trimmed, precise, and clean-looking.  She does some impressive work.  He pays and looks like he's writing in a tip.  Good.  I think she deserves it. 
The guy comes out and immediately gets on his phone. 
"Hey, it's Donny.  I just got the best cut I've ever had.  Yeah, you should try this place.  No, I don't need a shower.  She washed and styled it.  The clubs?  Definitely.  See you there," he says hanging up and walking in that direction. 
I surrender my attention back to the girl.  She's sweeping up and cleaning.  I still can't see her face and I'm curious if I've ever seen her before.  At one point, I actually see her profile and she's a knockout... but seems somewhat familiar.  I rack my brain on who this could be. 
It's getting late and I'm about to settle my bill when I see her switching the shop lights off.  She steps out and begins locking up.  She turns around and I finally see her face.  It's the little Stiff.  She notices me... and smiles.  She waves to me before walking down the hallway toward the residential section. 
God, she looks good.  She's changed a bit.  She's taller than I remember—more curvaceous and sexy.  Man... if only I'd known back then.  I think she's with Four, though—or at least, last I heard she was. I sigh shakily and pay my tab before heading home.

*****

I return the next day and take a different seat with a better view.  I can actually see her face from here.  She's cleaning and laughing with another employee.  I get another cup of tea and just sit down observing her.  The other girl clocks out and leaves.  Meanwhile, she waits at the counter. 
A female walks in.  I observe as Tris takes her over and sets up.  She's changing the color.  I sip my tea as I watch her work and wait.  She washes the color out and it looks dramatically lighter.  She came in a brunette and it looks like a silver-blonde shade.  Tris dries her hair and then begins to cut it.  It looks like she's getting bangs and a layered style.  By the time she's finished, I wouldn't even recognize the girl—she looks completely different.  She pays and leaves. 
I continue to watch the little Stiff clean up.  I can't help but admire the motions, the bend and curve of her.  She's breathtaking.  She finishes cleaning up and then turns the lights off and I frown.  I honestly want to see more of her.  She comes out once more locking up.  She notices me again and waves.  I nod to her in acknowledgment.  She smiles in reply and my heart melts at that expression.  I frown when she leaves.  I'm already missing her. 

*****

I come back earlier on Sunday.  I just can't get enough of her.  My dreams are riddled with fantasies about her.  I long to hold her, to kiss her lips....  I imagine my life with her—a family, growing old.  I just want to be nearer to her. 
I sit down just after lunch to see she's not here.  I scowl.  Maybe she has the day off.  I sit for a while sipping my tea.  I start to actually read my book and it's not bad.  I hadn't realized I chose a romance novel but it's making me miss her more. 
I look up momentarily to see her arrival and I stare at her in awe.  She looks lovelier today than usual.  Her hair is in a neat, pretty style and I think she's actually wearing makeup.  My heart beats wildly in my chest as she moves through the shop. 
She puts on an apron and joins the staff.  She cuts a little boy's hair first.  She takes her time and makes a unique style.  It looks easy to manage for him and his mom but still stylish and trendy.  I see her show him that he can comb it to the side which makes his mom happy.  Then she puts some product into it and styles it for him.  It looks pretty good.  I'm sure all the five year old girls will be checking him out.  He climbs down and Tris gives him a lolly.  He takes it and hugs her.  She laughs surprised but hugs him, too. 
Several more customers come throughout the day.  I read some more of my book and glance at her progress often.  I leave for dinner and check the shop's hours on my way out seeing that it closes soon. 
I sit down in the cafeteria to eat and I actually notice her come in for dinner shortly after me.  She sits with her friends from initiation but I don't see Four within sight.  I actually don't think I've seen them together.  Four usually eats meals when I do but I don't think I've seen her with him. 
I decide to test my theory. Over the next several days, I observe their behavior. I see him come in and sit with Zeke and Shauna. He doesn't sit with Tris's friends when they're there at the same time at all. On occasion when I'm observing and watching for her, she takes her breaks when he's not here—either just before or after on work days. I learn that she works days on the weekdays and nights on the weekends. But the shop closes at a reasonable time so she could still get cleaned up and go out... if she wants. I've never really seen her out, though. Her days off seem to be weekdays—Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I see her at meals though, thankfully.
I decide to ask about their relationship from those I'm closest to who gossip—Lydia and Ryan, my fellow leaders. They tell me they haven't heard anything since just after initiation. I decide to ask an actual authority—someone who'd genuinely know for sure. I sit beside Zeke just after Four leaves from lunch on Friday. Tris wasn't here before him so she's most likely taking it soon.
"No, man. They split within the first month of her membership," Zeke tells me.
I smirk in response.
I tap my fingers on the table debating on asking him.
"Just ask, man. I won't repeat it," he insists.
"Do you know if she's single?" I inquire.
"She hasn't dated anyone as far as I know," he responds.
"Thanks for the information," I say patting his back firmly.
"Anytime," he grins.