Seventy-Eight-Beyond Boarders 23.1

Tris

I pack up my things in my backpack—all required articles that may or may not be necessary along with clothing and personal items. I make sure I've got my riot gear situated before I step out of my apartment. I head down to breakfast one last time. Everyone should be down there for goodbyes.
I'll admit I'm a little nervous. We've never done reconnaissance in this area before. Our exterior fence patrols have discovered another part of our city just beyond Amity. The ruins are similar to those inside Factionless except for one clear difference—they're untouched. We need more resources. We need to scout for more metals and other precious items we can't reproduce here. There's unsullied possibilities out there. I was sitting in a meeting with leadership and Jax—as his assistant, of course—and the report was brought in. Most of leadership dismissed it as no big deal but Eric of all people was interested. Jude backed him up and so did Ryan—his best friend. I mentioned the dwindling resources and that caught the attention of most of them. They agreed this search was a necessary risk and only took volunteers. I was the first in that room to raise my hand. Then Eric followed. Nobody else was allowed to head this mission but us—the rest were needed in the city.
I step into the cafeteria and set my bag in the heap with the others.  Several of them wave to me in excitement while they sit for their last meal with family and friends.  I see Christina and Will together.  Uriah and Marlene are with them.  I already said goodbye to Lynn before she left for duty last night on the fence.  I grab my breakfast from the line.  Unlike everyone else, I'm not overdoing it.  Some of the others have their trays loaded with food.  I know the rations are adequate and food has never been an issue for me.  I sit down and Christina hugs me around her six month pregnancy belly.  She and Will got married two years ago, I think.  Initiation was either four or five years back.  I honestly can't remember.  I've been so focused on work that nothing else seems to matter much.  I talk with them.  Uri and Marlene join in, too.  They haven't gotten married yet—just living together which is fairly common in Dauntless. 
"So... any guys on this trip that caught your eye?" Christina presses. She's always trying to set me up with somebody.
"Not really.  I'm honestly not looking," I admit shrugging. 
I notice Eric walk into the cafeteria.  He's sporting a new short haircut.  I've never seen it so short before.  He looks less menacing. 
"No more Four?" Marlene questions. 
I shake my head.  Things just don't work out with him.  It's too much effort and he's not willing to change.  I gave him a second chance right after the initial breakup but the same problems kept arising.  I don't think our total time together could even equal a full month.
"He was asking about you last time he came in to the infirmary," Marlene says. 
"Yeah," I reply dismissively.  He's always trying...
I eat a bite of my food since time is ticking. 
"How long are you going to be gone again?" Christina asks. 
"It's supposed to be a month but we've got supplies for longer if necessary," I say. 
"It'll start getting cold out soon," Will points out. 
"That's a factor, too," I admit.  "We'll see how it goes.  It's Eric's call.  I'm just his assistant."
"He's changed a bit, hasn't he?" Christina asks. 
"Same old Eric," I shrug in reply. 
"I guess you've come to know him better over the last several years," Will says.  "He seems nice enough."
Christina gives him a look that I can't help but laugh at. 
"Well, what I meant was... he seems capable to lead," he stutters over a correction. 
I grin at that.  He is a good leader—very competent and intelligent. 
I finish my food and we talk a bit more.  I see some of the team starting to grab their bags and I decide to head out as well. 
"I should probably go," I tell them. 
They each stand up and hug me goodbye.  I return my tray and grab my bag with my dog tags on them.  I throw it over my shoulder and wave to them.  They wave back and I'm off. 
I sigh in relief that he didn't show up.  I assumed that if he was asking Marlene about me, it's possible he would've found out we're leaving today.  I'm grateful that I don't have to deal with him. 
I weave my way through the corridors of this section of the Pit to the parking garage.  They should have our three armored vehicles ready to disembark.  I arrive at the garage to see two out of the three are here.  There are only a few soldiers ready.  I have them load up the supplies into the two that are waiting.  Afterward, we put our packs inside.  I hold onto mine since Eric hasn't assigned me a vehicle that I'm aware of.  He might split us into two groups or one large group.  I may be in a different vehicle from him...
"Thank you for being prompt," Eric says to us as he arrives. 
We all line up and salute him. 
"Prior?  Did you load these two?" he questions. 
"Yes, sir," I respond. 
"Good.  What's going on with the third?" he questions. 
"Hasn't arrived yet, sir," I reply. 
He hums a reply and enters the guard shack. 
"Fabulous," he mumbles sarcastically as he steps out.  "Apparently number three has broken down.  It's best if it happens here and not out there."
I nod in understanding. 
"Alright.  Everyone load up what remains between the two," he commands. 
"Tris!" someone shouts and I wince.  He did come
"Why don't you say goodbye to your boyfriend?" Eric mocks nodding in his direction.  "We're leaving in less than five minutes."
"He's not my..." I start. 
"I don't need to hear about it," he cuts me off harshly without looking at me.  "Hurry up."
I sigh and turn around to face Four.  I set my pack down. 
"You're leaving," he says sadly. 
"Yeah," I shrug. 
"I'll miss you," he tells me softly. 
"Alright.  See you later," I wave turning around. 
"Wait," he calls out and reaches for my arm.  He turns me around and hugs me.  I pat his back awkwardly. 
"Bye," I say uncomfortably. 
He tries to kiss me and I turn my face. 
"Alright.  I've humored you enough," I say irritably.  "I'll be back later."
I break out of his hold and grab my pack.  I find Eric in the front passenger's seat. 
"You're driving, Prior," he tells me. 
"Alright.  Let me stick this in back," I tell him. 
I set my pack in the back with some soldiers and put my dog tags around my neck.  Four's still standing around watching us.  I don't wave.  I can't believe he just tried to kiss me.  I climb in and start the ignition.  I look to Eric for direction. 
"Let's go," he says. 
I put it in drive and we're off.  I check my mirrors and Alpha Two is following. I pause at the exit glancing in both directions for traffic before pulling out of the garage. I drive us on the recommended path to the fence and check to make sure our second vehicle is following. We arrive to the fence and go through our typical inspections. The soldiers look curious about what's going on but we've been pretty quiet about our operation.
"Eric?" Jax calls through the radio.
"Go ahead," he replies.
"Johanna somehow found out about the mission and wants to speak with you," Jax says.
Eric sighs irritably. "Fine. Her office?" he questions.
"That'll do," Jax replies.
"Eric out," he says. "Alright. Detour," he tells me.
"Understood," I nod.
While we're getting inspected, he tells Marco—the driver of Alpha Two—where we're stopping first. He looks confused but nods. Mike—the gate supervisor—tells us we're all set. Eric climbs back in and pats the roof telling me to move out. I put Alpha One back in gear and wait for the guards to finish opening the fence. I idle through and then slowly accelerate forward. Instead of turning left, I go straight through the apple orchards toward Amity's headquarters.
"It's been a while since I've been here," Eric mumbles.
"Me, too," I admit.
It smells incredible with the apples about ready for picking.
We continue through the orchard with our second vehicle in tow. I see the expanse up ahead and I pull in front of her office.
"Do you want me to turn us around and get ready to go?" I ask Eric.
"Put it in park and come with me," he says.
"Alright," I reply surprised.
I step out and nod to the others. They know what to do. I follow Eric into the barn.