Sixty-Seven-Have I Changed That Much? 19.7

Eric

Monday I train her on the fear simulation program. We gather the initiates and tell them the situation once. I take her into the first testing room while Four uses the other. I guide her on how to inject the initiates and the computer program. She's read the training but in practice, some people have trouble. She's fine though, and I leave her to it after the first few initiates. I tell her she can ask Four or call me with problems. She nods. Sadly, I've got work to catch up on. I've been spending too much time with her and I saw the mountain of work in my inbox on Saturday. I check on her periodically throughout the week. We have fights scheduled in the late afternoon on Tuesday and Thursday. Those with less points gain some on Tuesday. She's also encouraging them to hit the gym when not in training.
On Wednesday, I observe her talking quietly in the hallway with one of the transfers. She sees me and dismisses her. She smiles at me but looks worried.
"Is everything alright?" I ask.
"Those simulations are disturbing," she admits.
"Yeah," I agree nodding. "Do you want to join me for lunch?"
"Sure," she shrugs walking with me to the cafeteria. She's in a bit of a daze. I rub her back. I know the sims are bad. I don't enjoy viewing them either but I have seen them all up until today. I watch them every night. We step into the cafeteria and Four eyes us. I lead her to the line and we grab our lunch. We leave the line and I hold her firmly.
"Eric?" she asks me.
"Oh, I thought you understood. Leadership wants to speak with you," I tell her.
She pales.
"It's nothing to be worried about," I tell her gently, caressing her cheek.
She meets my eyes but still looks concerned.
"Come on," I insist. "Worry won't solve anything."
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own," she says to me.
"Exactly," I grin.
"That's scriptural, Eric," she tells me. "The words of Jesus."
"Smart guy," I grin.
She stares at me and I chuckle lightly ushering her to the leadership table.
Lydia smiles and welcomes her.
"We're so glad you could join us," she says happily.
Tris forces a smile.
Everyone chats with her a bit. She's pleasant in conversation. By the time lunch is almost over, she glances at me confused.
"We'll have a meeting after this," I whisper to her rubbing her back soothingly.
"Alright," she replies.
All of leadership rises and I escort Tris. Four sees us walking toward the exit with her. He gets up and comes over to her.
"What's wrong?" he asks her worriedly.
"Everything is fine, Four," I respond rolling my eyes.
He leans in and whispers something to her. She shakes her head at him. He steps back but still watches us leave. I take her up to leadership's conference room. I sit with her because she's trembling.
"It's alright. Why are you so worried?" I ask her rubbing her back again.
She doesn't respond.
"We'll just get to the point," Max starts. "We're all impressed with you. Your techniques have resulted in substantial improvement across the board. Jude is looking to retire in the near future and we're searching for a replacement."
She blinks in surprise and looks to me.
"I agree. I'd love for you to work beside me," I tell her.
"I don't understand. Why me?" she whispers.
I chuckle at that. He just explained in detail.
"We've seen what you can do with children. You're incredible with initiates. We're curious to see what you could implement with the faction," I tell her gently. She looks in my eyes searching. "Let me put it this way, at the Choosing Ceremony, Jeanine found out what you do and thought we should create a position for you. She's insulting, yes, but she thinks you're capable and she likes you."
"I'm here because Jeanine wants me here?" she questions with her brows furrowed.
I laugh lightly.
"No, sweetheart. She was just as impressed with you as we are. I was trying to make a point—we all see your potential," I explain.
She nods in understanding.
"So, what do you say?" Lydia questions.
She looks to them all and back to me.
"That's a serious life change," she admits. "I'll have to think it over."
"Alright. Take some time. But get back to us. Jude's not getting any younger," Max comments.
Ryan laughs, "That's on par with something I'd say."
Tris smiles at that. I walk her down the hall to my office and we sit on my sofa.
"See? There was nothing to fear," I tell her softly.
She looks away from me.
"What has you so worried?" I question. I turn her face to mine. "Is it something Four has said?"
"Maybe," she admits.
"Four's a fool. He's turned us down so many times. I wouldn't listen to him," I tell her moving a stray hair out of her face.
She nods but remains quiet.
"You'll really think about it?" I ask. If she takes it, it would be like a dream come true for me.
She nods again.
I smile at her.
"I should probably go and make sure they're not all wallowing in pity," she tells me softly.
"Go," I grin. "You see? You're constantly thinking of others. You'd be perfect here."
"Thank you," she says softly before leaving.
I sigh shakily. I really hope she says yes.