Fifteen-Initiation Offers 5.2

Tris

Eric escorts me to lunch and places his hand at my side as we walk. We take the back way—the hallway I remember walking last year except it's void of anyone but the two of us. We enter the cafeteria through the far double doors and stride up to the line. He actually stays with me.
"Is this a Dauntless tradition or something?" I ask.
"What's that?" he grins. He actually grins at me.
"Burgers for lunch on Choosing Day?" I question.
He looks to be mulling it over. "Now that you mention it, I think you're right. I'll have to ask Max or Jude... or maybe the Pedrads," he replies nodding.
"Why's that?" I question as I put a cheeseburger on my tray.
"They're the only Dauntless-born I'm kind of close to," he shrugs.
"I didn't know you and Zeke were close," I comment getting some fries and a salad. I also didn't realize both Max and Jude were always Dauntless.
He laughs lightly. "Zeke was my roommate after initiation."
"Really?" I question surprised.
He nods.
"Huh, I never knew that," I mutter.
I grab a drink and we walk out of the line together. "See you soon?" he questions.
"Sure," I reply.
He walks over toward the leadership table and I sit at my usual table with my friends. Will and Christina are together. So are Zeke, Uriah, and Lynn across from them. I sit beside Christina.
"I hear there's a monstrous addition to Dauntless today," she smiles.
"There was," I nod. "We were prepared for the possibility of the Dauntless-born staying but not all of those transfers."
"I'm thrilled about joining you guys. This is going to be so much fun," Zeke says rubbing his hands together in excitement.
I grin at his enthusiasm.
"Shoot. We better go," Will says. They always take an early lunch together on workdays. 
"See you guys at dinner?" I question.
"Of course," Christina replies giving me a side hug and taking her tray. I wave goodbye to them.
"Hey, babe," Four says sitting down next to me, across from Zeke. He puts his arm around me and I shrug it off.
"That was one fast tour," I comment.
He shrugs in reply. "I just showed them the Pit and the Chasm. I told them not to jump," he elaborates before eating a fry.
I frown. There is so much more to Dauntless than that.
"Do you mind if I sit here?" Freddy asks standing up beside me with his tray in hand.
"No, I don't mind," I smile at him.
I hear Four make a sound of protest but I ignore him.
"Can I ask you what this is?" he whispers to me.
"It's a hamburger," I tell him quietly as the other transfers gather around us. "I've got a cheeseburger. This is beef. Those are fries—fried potatoes. This is a salad. Oh, you didn't get a dressing. Here, have one of mine. I must've grabbed an extra. You pour it on."
"Thanks," he says relieved.
I pour my dressing on my salad and he watches me, doing the same. I take a bite and feel Four putting his arm around me again.
"Cut it out," I whisper to him shrugging him off once more.
He grits his teeth in response but I don't care. It looks like he's trying to claim me in front of everyone and I don't like it. We're not together, just friends.
I make small talk with my friends. Lynn excuses herself as she see Jax pass us by. Jax waves to me. I wave back.
"I'm going to miss seeing you in that uniform for the next month," Four whispers to me.
I choke on my bite of food. I clear my throat and tell him to stop saying things like that. I feel like I can't sit with him anymore. He's going nuts today with the possessive boyfriend-like behavior and we're not even together. I glance up to see if anyone has seen his overly weird behavior.  I notice Eric's eyes on me but he looks away and talks with Ryan.
"So, you're all going to be our trainers?" one of the Erudite transfers asks.
"Yeah," I nod. "What's your name again. I've got 58 names I've got to work on remembering. I already know Freddy's... so?"
"How do you know Freddy?" the same Erudite questions.
I laugh. "Because he's the first jumper, of course," I grin.
"Hey, first jumper! Congratulations!" a random Dauntless says as he passes by.
I motion to the Dauntless keeping eye contact with the Erudite.
"Okay, point taken," he nods. "Next time, volunteer."
"Exactly," I smirk. "We're not looking to kill you. Trust us."
"Will do," he nods. "I'm Louis."
"It's nice to meet you," I say reaching out and shaking his hand.
"Stop being so chummy with them," Four mumbles.
"You mean like your bed of nails last year?" I question him laughing.
"Oh, I heard that," Zeke chuckles high fiving me.
"See. Zeke is being Zeke," I whisper harshly to him. "Back off."
He turns away from me and purses his lips.
I finish most of my burger and fries along with all if my salad.
"Four," Eric calls out from behind me.
"Yup," he responds not even looking at him.
"Point cards and dorms. Take them all and read from the rules. It'll be easier so you don't forget any vital instructions," Eric tells him. He nudges his shoulder with a box and two sheets of paper.
Four takes them and looks them over.
"Wait... this is only the transfers' point cards if you want me to take both," Four protests.
Eric rolls his eyes. "The Dauntless-born already have theirs. Their points have been added to their preexisting accounts. Just take them and read off the paper," Eric says tiredly. "Are you about done?" he asks me quietly.
"Yeah," I tell him rising from my seat.
"Where are you going?" Four asks me concerned.
"Eric and I need to talk," I tell him and get up even though he continues to protest.
I keep walking.
"What's wrong with Number Boy?" Eric asks me laughing.
"He thinks I'm his girlfriend. What's new?" I shrug as I deposit my food in the trash and my tray on the return.
"Wait... what?" Eric asks me as we step out of the cafeteria.
"Four never gives up even though I've rejected him hundreds of times," I elaborate dismissively.
"I was under the impression that you two were together," he says surprised.
"Nope," I reply.
"Never?" he presses.
"He's kissed me a couple times around initiation. He never asked me out and we don't particularly suit each other," I explain without interest. "I ended things almost immediately because he was giving me grief about my job choice."
"Why?" he asks baffled. "You got the best job last year."
"He doesn't want me in or near leadership," I tell him honestly.
"What's his problem? He'd be one of us and could have a say. I honestly don't understand him at all. I can see why Jax would say no with the wife and kids... but Four? I still don't understand," he tells me.
"Yeah," I say quietly. I'm not going to divulge any of Four's secrets but I may have to with mine—depending, of course, on how this conversation goes.
"Would you rather talk in my office or apartment?" he asks.
"Why is this even a question?" I laugh in surprise.
"Are you going to ask confidential things?" he whispers.
I blink in surprise. I know our security has been hacked. I doubt in the noise of the Pit that any one conversation can be heard now, though.
"Somebody is listening in?" I question.
He nods. "It's at random," he admits.
"Probably your place, then," I admit since whoever is listening in, he doesn't want them to hear us... so he must not be one of them.
"Alright," he nods and leads me to his apartment. I realize his hand is at my waist once more and it's nice to be escorted like this. I learned soon after my transfer that this is a polite gesture a man does for a woman—that he's helping me and supporting me. It's very sweet.
We arrive at his place and he opens the door for me, letting me in first. It's surprisingly clean for a man's apartment. Four's apartment is always an absolute disaster with clothes and empty takeout boxes everywhere. So is Uriah and Will's. Shauna usually keeps hers and Zeke's fairly tidy but she does complain from time to time about his messy habits. I see Eric take a seat on his sofa in the middle. He puts his arms around the back and motions for me to sit down beside him. I take the offered seat and this is very informal—intimate even.
"So, what did you want to ask me?" he questions.
"Why's Jeanine always here?" I inquire getting to the point. I know she's here much more often than other faction's representatives. I'd say possibly double the others combined. I also know who she is in relation to him because Jax let it slip once, that he's her nephew.
He sighs. "Yeah, she's always here," he admits.
It takes him a moment to answer, clearly mulling over how to go about explaining it to me so I ask my question instead.
"One of the Erudite transfers last year said that all Erudite ever talk about is the Divergent," I mention. I say it in that manner so Will isn't suspected if this goes awry.
"Yeah, that's why she's here," he admits.
"What's she doing involving them?" I ask.
"Yeah. It's best we're here," he says softly. "It's complicated."
"Then let me tell you this... my response of joining leadership completely revolves around this," I inform him.
"You're against her?" he questions softly.
"How would you know my thoughts on that?" I question him turning and meeting his eyes.
"Well... because you're an Abnegation transfer, first of all. Erudite has been exceedingly abrasive towards Abnegation the last several years. You asked about it and you don't seem pleased about her being here," he deduces.
I nod in understanding, "I can see why you arrived to that conclusion."
There's a pause between us and neither of us make a move to speak. I know she's his relative and I honestly don't know which way he might go on his beliefs.
"How do you feel about it?" I ask him.
He explains who Jeanine is to him but goes further than I've even known—saying she had custody of him for his last six years there. Then, he explains that she has his sister hanging over his head as leverage.
"She's not the nicest person," he admits. "And she's ingrained in me her beliefs for half of my life."
"Do you agree with her?" I ask softly.
"You're Divergent, aren't you?" he questions. His voice isn't harsh or cruel, it's one of concern.
I know my immediate flush gives me away. Four was right. I shouldn't be working so closely with them... but if I want to live my life, a life of doing what's best for myself and the rest of the city, I feel like I need to risk my safety to make a difference.
"I am," I admit. I search his eyes as he searches mine.
"Tell me what you know," he insists.
"About what?" I question.
"About Divergence, about yourself," he replies.
So I do. I tell him about my test and how I learned then what I am. I explain about my capabilities within simulations, but I also mention my thought process outside, in the everyday.
"I honestly haven't thought about the last one," he tells me. "How everyday behavior would be evident."
I stare at him waiting for him to continue. He sighs and turns away.
"This stays in this room, regardless of if you choose leadership or not," he tells me.
"Okay," I reply evenly. "I won't say a word."
"I won't turn you in... because I'd be a hypocrite if I did so," he divulges. "Leadership is torn on what to do. Jeanine keeps coming here trying to convince us to take her side. I'm supposed to play the devil's advocate. She thinks she has a foothold with me but I honestly oppose her. I just have no choice. My sister has one more year of Jeanine's guardianship until her Choosing Day. I guess I'm hoping for it to drag out until then and she can escape."
I blink in surprise at what Eric just confided to me. Even Tobias never told me outright if he was Divergent. He always rerouted the conversation and ignored when I asked.
"What do the other leaders believe?" I ask.
"Jude is against working with Erudite, but he's retiring soon. Max and Lydia are undecided but think since Jeanine is so smart that she must know what she's talking about. Ryan... he tends to go with Jude on most things. He's not exactly against it but he's not for it either," he admits.
"So... everyone is on the boarder because they only know what Jeanine tells them but their conscience is fighting against Jeanine's perspective," I deduce.
"Pretty much," he purses his lips and nods.
"Okay. I'm in," I agree.
"Really?" he laughs in disbelief. "That was easy."
"You thought that was easy?" I question skeptically.
"Well, that you only had the one concern, really," he explains.
"Yeah," I nod in understanding.
"Any other questions for me?" he asks.
"Not really," I shrug. "I might later on."
"We should probably hold off on your training until after initiation is complete. Now's too hectic. We could wait until then to announce it. Leadership and I kind of figured it'd take some coaxing to get you to join," he tells me.
"Why's that?" I inquire.
"Because everyone else doesn't want the job. You see how hard we work and how busy we are usually. It's a demanding job and not many want it," he elaborates.
"I bet you if you offered it to Peter Hayes, he'd jump at the opportunity," I point out.
He snorts at that. "I bet he would. He'd never qualify," he tells me. "Only first to third ranks get offered. Only one and twos have ever been appointed."
I nod in understanding, never having known that.
"So... you and Four were never together?" he questions not meeting my eyes.
"No. Not really," I shake my head.
"Why not?" he asks.
I sigh through my teeth. "We don't get along as well as you'd think," I start. "He's constantly treating me like I'm little, weak, incompetent, stupid, headstrong, careless, incapable of making my own choices... oh, and he doesn't listen to me."
"You pushed his arm off of you at lunch," he points out. "I thought you were having a fight."
"Yeah, I honestly think he's under the impression that we're going out," I admit. "I completely believe he was trying to claim me in front of the initiates. He was jealous that I was aquatinted with the Abnegation transfer."
"You make it sound like he's a dog pissing on a tree to claim it," he chuckles.
"Yeah," I nod. "That's how I feel sometimes."
I look to him and he's grinning.
"Why did you think we were together?" I ask.
"You two were always talking. I've seen him kiss you a few times. He's kind of affectionate with you," he shrugs.
"Like today?" I confirm.
"Yeah," he nods.
"Perhaps you just didn't see long enough that I pushed him away or shrugged him off, escaped his grasp," I suggest.
"Probably," he admits nodding.
"I honestly feel like he's the reason why I haven't..." I start speaking and then I stop realizing who I'm talking to.
"You haven't what?" he questions.
"Had a real relationship," I shrug bashfully. "I think you're right. He is like a dog and doesn't take a hint. Maybe I should cut off the friendship altogether because he's just pulling me down."
"I had someone like that before," he admits.
"Oh?" I question intrigued. "Do tell," I grin. 
He bites his lip and laughs. "So, back in Erudite, there was this girl that tagged along with me constantly—hanging on my arm, always following me around. Do you want to know how I got rid of her?" he questions. I nod. "I transferred," he laughs. "If she hadn't gone before me, I guarantee she would've picked Dauntless."
"No way," I say disbelievingly.
"She would've. I'm so grateful it was in reverse alphabetical order that year or she would've come," he admits.
"You never liked her?" I question.
"I couldn't stand her," he tells me.
I laugh at that, "Thank the order."
There's a pause between us for a moment.
"So... since you've been in a similar situation... what advice would you give me?" I question curiously.
"Hmm," he says thinking it over. "Maybe you should get a fake boyfriend. He could take a hint and get lost."
I laugh disbelievingly at that.
"Who would agree to something so ridiculous?" I question.
"I would," he shrugs.
"You would?" I ask befuddled.
"Sure. Why not?" he shrugs again.
"You would fake date me?" I question again thinking I must've heard him wrong.
He purses his lips and nods, "Yeah."
"Why?" I question confused closing my eyes in disbelief.
"I've got nothing better going on in my personal life," he admits.
"Why would you agree to something so preposterous, though? What if you met a girl you like?" I question.
"I haven't met anybody else yet," he says looking into my eyes. "Why not you?"
"Because you don't have any romantic feelings for me. That suggestion is just ludicrous," I insist.
"I never said that," he admits.
I ponder over the manner in which he just said everything. I haven't met anybody else... He never said he didn't have romantic feelings toward me.
"Eric?" I say meeting his eyes.
"What do you say?" he questions gently.
"I'll have to think about that," I tell him softly. "I rushed in with Four and that was a big mistake."
"That's much better than a no," he responds in a whisper.
He smiles at me and I can't help but notice how incredibly attractive he is. I've honestly enjoyed this time together—more so than most others with anyone else. He's very easy to get along with.
"What about training the initiates?" he asks me.
"What do you mean?" I question.
"Do you think Four will belittle you in front of them?" he questions.
"Possibly... probably. He never shuts his mouth when it comes to complaining about me," I admit. "And he's not concerned about saying things in front of others. He was constantly badmouthing you in front of the transfers last year."
"Maybe he should get moved to the Dauntless-born. Or we could handle them and several others with Four so they have more than one skewed perspective," he suggests.
I smile at his proposition.
"Alright. We'll see," he grins at me.
We stay in his apartment since neither of us has anything else to do and we both admit we enjoy each other's company. By the time dinner approaches, I reach for his hand on the return walk. He smiles at me and kisses the back of my hand as we continue to stroll side by side taking our time. We get into line and select our meals together.
"After initiation is over, you'll be joining my side," he whispers and I realize he means with leadership.
"Yeah," I smile.
"I wouldn't mention it, though. We don't want to take away from initiation. Especially not today. Max will do the same," he explains.
I nod. I remember today is their day and something special is planned.
"See you, sweetheart," Eric says before leaving.
I close my eyes and realize he is so different from Four... so different from what I thought.