Fifty-One-The Bakery 16.2

Eric

After lunch on Monday, I decide to stop by her shop for a boost to get me through my work day.  I grabbed a paper menu on my way out yesterday and they have an insane amount of after workout shakes, power bars, and just really healthy options.  I was afraid I was going to have to workout extra if I become a regular here but their selection is mostly healthier than the cafeteria food—except for the desserts.  I step in before going to the office.  I see her at the counter.  She's making something in a small cup.  There's a woman with a little girl—no more than four years old—waiting by the register. 
"Okay, that's one strawberry banana smoothie and one small cocoa with a kitty," Tris grins handing the little girl the cup. 
I see it covered in whipped cream with a chocolate drizzled shape on top.  The little girl is so excited, jumping up and down. 
"Careful not to spill, sweetheart," the mother gently warns. 
"Okay," she says in awe. 
"Hi, Eric," Tris smiles at me. 
I greet her as well. 
"Thanks so much for yesterday.  He's in here at least once a week... if not more," she says bashfully. 
"No problem.  If he's really bothering you, you should file a complaint," I advise. 
"Yeah, he's just... not listening.  I've told him no before," she shrugs.  "I think he assumed Four was why I said no," she tells me but doesn't continue. 
I nod in reply hoping she'll elaborate more but she doesn't. 
"What'll it be today?" she asks.
"I'm thinking your Lemon Pineapple Smoothie," I tell her. 
"Alright," she smiles. 
She blends it up quickly using all fresh ingredients and I'm kind of sad that I should get up to the office.  She asks if it's for here or to go.  She actually frowns that I'm leaving.  I swipe my point card for the cashier and Tris hands me my drink with a lid. 
"Hope to see you soon," she grins. 
"Thanks," I smile at her taking the cup.  Our hands brush each other's.  I realize it's the first contact we've ever shared and my heart skips a beat.  I have to force myself to turn away and leave.  I sigh walking out.  I'm a goner.

*****

I stop by every day throughout the week getting various items off the menu.  I find out she's off before I am.  They're open for dessert in the evenings but she's generally out by four.  I hear she's in there at four a.m. every morning baking—which is an incredibly long shift.  I learn that she's off on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  I see her in the cafeteria, though.  She's always dressed more casual on her days off but one evening I see her wearing a nice dress out of the compound and carrying a small bag.  She takes the train somewhere by herself and I hope she's not going out on a date with someone.  Maybe I should just ask her out... but I figured she needed some time after her latest relationship.  Perhaps I'm wrong. 
I'm kind of waiting around the Pit for her return.  I sit around watching the crowds come and go.  Hours later, she arrives smiling.  She's humming a song that I instantly recognize and I smile.  I know where she's been—from the time frame of the train schedule, the dress, and the music.  I realize she was gone for an hour both ways, about an hour for the class.  She was in Erudite taking dance lessons.  By the music she's humming, I'd say she's most likely learning swing dances.  I smirk at that and realize we have so much in common since I know every one that they teach in Erudite. 
I watch her walking and she gets stopped by a guy.  He's asking her out.  The guy is decently attractive, a nice guy, and in good shape.  She kindly rejects him and I think maybe she's not interested in dating, maybe I was right before that she needs some time.  It must be that she's waiting a while. 

*****

I sit in the shop sipping a hot lemon tea on a Friday afternoon. She brews the best tea. I honestly worked late last night so I could leave early. I scheduled all of my meetings to be finished just so I could come see her before she got off. She comes out from the back room that I learned is another kitchen—a larger one with several ovens. She has a tray in hand and it's filled with some sort of pastries I haven't seen before. Her smile is resplendent.
She surpasses the counter and comes out among the tables. I grin when I see her passing the treats she made out to the customers. She gives two to some young boys that just came in. They must've just got off the train and school's out now. They smile and thank her going to the counter to order something. Tris hands a few to the tables nearby and she sees me.
"Eric," she nods smiling.
"Tris," I grin back.
"Do you eat desserts?" she asks me skeptically.
"It depends," I reply. "What've you got there?"
"I made something new. Misty and I think we should add it to the menu," she says pausing and looking back to me. "You like citrus, right?"
"I do," I nod.
"These are tarts with lime curd and whipped cream," she tells me.
"Only if you're offering," I smirk.
She laughs lightly in response and lowers the tray for me.
"Thanks," I say reaching for one.
"You're welcome," she grins.
I examine it and they look perfect—like something photographed and unreal. The crust is a circular cut puff pastry. I can see the lime curd in the middle. It looks natural and not dyed like some processed food available at other places. The whipped cream looks thicker than the store bought stuff and there's lime zest sprinkled on the top.
She waits in anticipation of me trying it. I didn't realize she'd stay but I don't mind the moment with her. I heard she was in but I just hadn't seen her today until now.
I take a bite and I'm practically salivating. The crust is crispy, flaky, and soft. The lime curd is tart, slightly sweet but incredibly flavorful and fruity—the lime really standing out. The whipped topping is thick, creamy, and slightly sweet with a hint of vanilla.
"So?" she beams as I chew.
"Seriously... that's the best dessert I've ever had," I admit.
She giggles in reply and I can see a blush cover her cheeks. "Thank you," she whispers in reply.
"Are the rest of your desserts this good?" I question.
She laughs lightly. "Well... that's a personal preference kind of question, I guess," she grins. "Ryan likes anything with cream cheese or cheesecake. He's also partial to red berries but he'll eat just about anything."
"Oh?" I question raising my eyebrow in surprise. "I didn't realize you've taken so well to Ryan."
"I didn't say that," she replies somewhat defensively yet attempting to remain nonchalant. "I just learn what my customers like," she says shrugging.
"Really?" I grin. "And what have you deduced about me?"
"How about I give the rest of these away and I'll let you know?" she suggests.
"Alright," I agree.
I watch as she hands out the remaining tarts to the remaining customers. They looked as if they were waiting in anticipation. I eat more of the tart and sip my tea which matches surprisingly well with it. I see her peek back to me a few times. I bite my lip in that she's watching me... but I'm watching her, too. I try not to be creepy so I examine the dessert in my hand and it is perfect-looking. I glance back up to her to see she's walking away with the empty tray. I frown. Maybe she didn't want to talk to me.
She returns to the back kitchen. I finish the last bite and my tea. I'm about to rise when I see her sit down in the seat across from me. She's not wearing her apron or name tag. She's off.
"So?" she starts smiling. "You..." she says drumming her fingers on the table. "You seem to like our meals—mostly meats. I think you'd drink the coffee daily if it wasn't for the caffeine, so you've switched to the healthier options or low calorie. You definitely like citrus—especially lemon," she says motioning to my tea.
I nod.
"I'm assuming you'd probably get sweets if not for the calories, but I'm fearful I've just given you an unhealthy addiction," she teases.
I chuckle at that.
"I'd say you're spot on with your postulation," I tell her.
"Did I miss anything?" she asks curiously.
"Ryan and I would absolutely eat here most meals if we didn't have to make appearances in the cafeteria," I add.
She puts her hand to her heart and frowns. "That is the best compliment of my life," she breathes.
"You haven't been given many compliments?" I question surprised.
"I was Abnegation," she says softly... but I notice the helping hands tattoo on her bicep. I've seen the Dauntless flames recently but never really noticed that one before.
"What? Does your old faction dictate everyone's kindness?" I question.
"It was considered selfish to compliment," she explains gently. "It supposedly would make a person think too highly of themselves."
"Your father never complimented your mother?" I ask shocked.
"Well... not that I ever heard, per se," she says looking away. "But... I could tell that he thought she was beautiful. It was in the way he looked at her. My last night there... he held her hand, even though it was a taboo. I knew. They knew."
"How about for you?" I question.
She laughs lightly and glances at me bashfully. She looks to be considering it. "My father would do things like kiss my head," she grins. "He would smile at me when he saw my grade card. My mother would pat my shoulder after I made dinner or cleaned. It was wordless... and not really Abnegation," she admits. "But I found out my mother was a transfer."
"Really?" I ask surprised.
"Yeah, she told me about the Dauntless cake on Visiting Day. I never knew before then. I tried it and fell in love... though, the chocolate is a little too sweet for my tastes still," she admits.
"Mine, too," I nod grinning.
"The vanilla?" she asks.
"Yup," I smirk.
"So you do like sweets," she decides.
"On occasion. I try to eat well," I reply nodding.
"Me, too, hence the more diverse menu," she tells me.
"You've definitely improved the place," I say. "Everyone's saying it was good before, but spectacular now."
She laughs blushing and turning away.
"Honestly, Eric. I never knew you were such a sweet talker," she smiles.
"I'm not supposed to get close to initiates. Fraternization is a severe violation of faction law," I tell her.
"It is?" she questions blinking. She appears shocked.
"It's not worth it to be made Factionless," I mention. "I figure I've got a lifetime to get to know my members. Becoming aquatinted could wait a month."
She nods. "You're right," she concurs. "That's a serious risk to take."
"Yeah," I agree. "So... you're off?"
"I am," she grins.
"What's your plans?" I question.
Her eyes meet mine.
"I haven't made any for tonight," she admits.
"Do you want to go out?" I question.
"Eric? Are you asking me out?" she says disbelievingly.
"Only if you're willing," I reply gently.
I see a touched expression cross her face.
"So?" I say as I rise. "What do you say?" I question reaching a hand out for her.
She looks to my hand and places hers in mine.
"Alright," she agrees. "You've got yourself a date."
I help her up and we walk out of her bakery together. I'm elated and somewhat in disbelief at this.
"Where to?" she asks me.
"You want to go out for dinner?" I offer.
Her smile widens. "I've never been taken out," she admits.
"I desperately want to insult Four now," I admit chuckling.
"Don't," she laughs putting a hand to my chest.
"He clearly doesn't know how to treat a lady," I reply seriously.
"Oh? Do you have vast experience?" she questions.
"No... but I've had an excellent role model to show the way," I explain.
"Who's that?" she inquires.
"My father," I tell her. She grins at that.
"Would you mind terribly if I change out of my uniform?" she inquires biting her lip.
"You look gorgeous in it, though," I tease.
Her eyes meet mine and she stares in awe.
"But I don't mind," I tell her. "How about I take you out somewhere special? I'll change, too."
She smiles at that.
"Okay," she whispers.  She looks at me and laughs lightly. 
"What's your address?  I'll come get you," I suggest. 
Her smile widens.  "I live in Echo Quadrant.  My apartment number is 625," she tells me. 
"Alright," I nod.  "See you soon?"
"Yeah," she grins. 
We separate and I head toward my building. 
"Eric?" she calls out. 
I turn around to face her. 
"Dress code?" she questions. 
"Yes," I smirk nodding. 
She giggles in response.  "Okay," she says biting her lip. 
"See you soon," I tell her. 
She nods and waves shyly before turning around. I try not to run home but I'm ecstatic.