Seventy-Five-You Save Me, I Save You 21.6

Eric

We spend Saturday together finishing the last few days of our honeymoon at home. We cook our meals in each other's company while we get her things settled into the apartment. We do some laundry and she helps me clean up. It actually doesn't take too long with both of us working together.  I make lunch for us and notice she's laying on the sofa reading a book. 
"Lunch," I tell her placing a plate down on the counter. 
"Thank you," she says setting her book aside and rising. 
She comes over and joins me. 
"What were you reading?" I ask her. 
"The Bible," she shrugs. 
"I didn't know you had a copy," I reply. 
"That one is yours," she says confused. 
"Huh?" I question. 
"You have several up on your shelf," she points out. 
"I didn't know that," I say. 
She nods.  "I do have a copy, though, but yours is nicer."
We eat the sandwiches and vegetables. 
"So... about tomorrow," she says hesitantly.  She takes a bite of a carrot. 
"What about tomorrow?" I ask her rubbing her back and kissing her cheek. 
"I'm going to Erudite," she says. 
I blink. 
"To church," she clarifies. 
"I don't like that," I tell her concerned. 
"Eric, I'm not going to stop going to church," she tells me gently. 
I sigh.  "Fine, but I'm going with you," I respond. 
"Okay," she replies softly but she's grinning. 

*****

We step out of the church.  I didn't see Dana even though Tris said she was coming.  Her father welcomed me open-armed.  I was surprised to get hugged by a Stiff.  Then her mother did the same.  I definitely felt welcomed to the family.  Even her grandma was saying how much of a catch I am. 
I lead her to my truck and drive her home. 
"So, what'd you think?" she asks me on the drive. 
"It wasn't what I was expecting," I admit. 
I'd never heard much before but Jeanine always said they were crazy.  They were talking about being peacemakers.  Her grandfather spoke on loving your enemy and praying for those who persecute you.  He said to submit to those in power because God placed them there for a reason.  He listed off something he called fruit of the Spirit—love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  They do seem admirable.  I was kind of shocked that there wasn't a thing he spoke on that I disagreed with.  Some of it I'm sure is difficult to do, but I didn't disagree that it was the right thing. 
We arrive back to the compound and head home.  We enjoy the rest of the final day of our honeymoon lounging around.  I take her to bed and take pleasure in my last night with her before we have to return to work. 

*****

Monday morning we have breakfast in the cafeteria together. I'm dressed for my workout and so is she. She has her squad she exercises with, though. I've seen them in the training room before but I'd honestly never noticed her.
Jude sits beside me.
"I want to talk to you in private," he whispers.
"Alright," I nod. I figure we'll speak in his office.
"Tonight. My place after dinner sometime," he tells me.
"Okay," I reply surprised that this has to be a secret conversation.
Max, Lydia, and Ryan join us. Jude stays quiet. Lydia talks to Tris a little. Ryan tosses some toast at me.
"I prefer butter or jam but thanks," I say taking a bite.
He chuckles.
"I got her number. We went out on Saturday," he grins.
"I told you so," I reply.
"You were right. She wanted a gentleman," he nods.
"What's her name?" I question.
"Daisy. She runs the flower shop—former Amity," he tells me.
"Take it slow," I warn him.
He purses his lips and nods.
I rub Tris's back and kiss her cheek.
We finish breakfast and I go to the gym. She arrives later with her squad. They work out and she does okay but she looks a little stiff initially. They notice and have her take it easy. I'm at the bags and she waves to me before she gets into the ring and spars with someone. He's more than double her size and I step away from the bag and watch. She fights well and actually takes him down. I'm impressed. I hadn't realized how skilled she's become. She spars with another opponent. He's not as big as the other but fast. She pins him easily and he taps out.
They finish and she sees me watching. She comes over and kisses me. "I've got to shower but I'll see you at lunch," she whispers before she kisses me again.
I continue on my workout and return home to shower afterward. I go to lunch and I'm bouncing my leg waiting for my wife to arrive. She steps in in uniform and I smirk at how incredible she looks. I'd never noticed her before that day... but, God she's gorgeous and sexy. She walks with her team to the line and I can't wait until she's at my side.
Max sits beside me sighing heavily.
"We're having a meeting first thing," he tells me.
"Alright," I nod.
I see my bride coming. She waves to her friends and looks to me bashfully. She climbs the incline slowly—as if she doesn't belong—but I smile at her and she grins at me. She sits by my side. I kiss her.
"I've missed you," I tell her. 
"I missed you, too," she smiles. 
We chat a little bit.  I tell her I'll be in the office—my usual—but we have a meeting today.  She tells me she was informed and that Jax will be present but she's unaware of the subject matter.  She doesn't ask or push for information.  She just eats her lunch and changes the subject to more lighthearted conversation.  I appreciate it. I kiss her temple and talk to her about the wedding and how beautiful she looked.  I notice her name tag now has my name.  My heart instantly melts at that.  That means so much to me that she took my name. I mention it to her and she smiles and shows me her dog tags, too.  That actually hurts thinking about the use of those—identification for the deceased.  I picture my bride on a gurney.  Her lips are blue, her skin is white—pale.  Her body is lifeless covered in a white sheet, toe tag with my name on it.  I shudder at the thought. I close my eyes and hold her tightly trying to get that kind of image out of my head.  I don't think I could live through something like that. 
When it's time to part, I walk her to her office and I hold her to my chest.  I kiss her hard and embrace her again trying to shake the ghost of that thought out of my head.
"I'll meet you for dinner?" she asks.
"I hope our meeting doesn't run long," I tell her. "If we're ever not there, feel free to sit with your friends. You don't have to sit by yourself."
"Okay," she grins and pecks my lips gently. "I love you," she tells me.
I reply the same before releasing her. I go upstairs to the leadership office level and see most everyone is waiting. I enter in.
"We're just waiting on Jax," Ryan tells me.
I nod and take the seat beside him. Wendy places a mug of hot apple cider in front of me.
"Thank you, Wendy," I tell her.
She smiles in reply.
Jax steps in and Wendy gives him a drink before excusing herself and shutting the door. He briefs us on the situation with Four. Apparently he's been causing us trouble the last month and nobody has told me.
"Do we have guards at every exit at all times?" I question.
"We do now," Jax responds.
"What about the armory? Have we kept a constant watch on that?" I ask.
"I'll have it done immediately," Jax says making a notation.
"Has there been any occurrences of his login in the system or have we blocked him out?" I ask.
"We'll look into it and block him," Jax replies.
I sigh. What have they been doing while I've been gone?
"What about the passcode for the gate at Amity? Has it been changed?" I inquire.
"Not yet," Max responds biting his lip.
"Next time there's an issue, notify me immediately. I could at least give advice for the next step," I state. "Whether you take it is up to you."
Max purses his lips and nods.
"What's he been up to?" I ask.
They inform me that he's been seen throughout Factionless. He's always on the move. A few weapons were stolen from the guards who took him to Erudite but none were severely injured. They were just overpowered by the mob. I watch recordings where it looks like he shoots out surveillance cameras.
"Stop the footage," I say.
It's paused. "Is that a firearm?" I question. "Zoom it in."
Jax enlarges the image.
"It looks almost like a pellet gun," I point out.
"Replace those with bulletproof cameras," I say.
They make a note.
"I know this is a long shot... but have we interviewed any of his friends here? To see if they know his whereabouts?" I mention.
"We could do that," Jax nods.
There's a knock on the door. I see Tris standing outside.
"Pull the feed, then let her in," I tell Jax.
He makes the screen black, closes his computer, and opens the door for her.
"Surveillance said this was urgent," Tris tells Jax handing him a file.
He takes it and nods. Tris glances at me and smiles.
"Thank you officer Prior," Jax nods. "Wait... officer Franklin," he corrects grinning.
"Yes, sir," she smiles and nods glancing at me before leaving.
He shuts the door.
"New activity," Jax says and puts the recording in.
We watch footage of Four leaving a building with a large group. I see Edward with them wearing an eyepatch. There's an older woman with long, dark hair, and several unrecognizable others in the crowd.
"It says they're on the move again," Jax tells us.
"Wait, pause that," Max insists.
He pauses the screen and Max rises and moves closer to the projection.
"Does anyone recognize this woman?" he asks.
"She looks familiar," I shrug.
"Look at Four's face and hers," Max says.
"That's Evelyn," Jude says. "Evelyn Eaton."
"So... apparently she's heading the Factionless," Max points out.
"What makes you say that?" Ryan asks.
"Rewind it and play it again. Watch her," Max instructs.
There's no sound but we can clearly see her giving the orders. She calls out for someone and they listen. She points to something and they follow. Everyone splits up.
"She's their leader. Even Four is following her orders," I state.
"Should we bring in Tris?" Jax asks.
"Why?" I question.
"She knew something was going on with him. She knew he was trying to kill you. I wonder if she knows anything about this," Max says.
I don't say anything.
"Four had been visiting Factionless before the shooting. We looked into it," Jax divulges.
I look at the rest of them. I can't believe they didn't tell me. I don't think he realizes I'm out of the loop.
"Bring her," I nod.
"Should we get truth serum?" Max questions.
I frown.
"If it makes you feel better. She's never lied to me since we've been together," I admit.
"But were you asking these kinds of questions?" Lydia inquires.
"Some. She told me her test results. I was shocked," I divulge.
"Why?" Ryan asks confused.
"She tested for three factions," I admit.
"What?" several of them say.
Jude and Jax remain quiet. The others look surprised.
"She is my wife. She will not be hauled to Erudite. Her loyalty is to Dauntless and me," I say firmly.
"What about those other factions she tested for?" Max asks. "What if her loyalties lay there?"
"I don't think she'll be loyal to Jeanine trying to torture her," I state.
"Erudite?" Ryan asks confused.
"I don't know much about this, but I don't think the tests prove our loyalties. I think... perhaps they show what we're strong at," I shrug. "That's just a guess. It doesn't make any sense to me. Bring her in if you want. Get the serum if it makes you feel better. But I believe she'll answer any question truthfully."
"Did she test for Candor?" Ryan asks.
"No, but she's a Christian and she believes in being honest and submitting to authority," I reply.
They decide that they still want the serum. Ryan grabs it from our storage facility while we call Tris back in here. She knocks on the door.
"Yes, sir? You called for me?" she asks when Jax opens the door.
"Join us please," he says motioning to the seat beside me.
"Yes, sir," she nods.
She sits down and glances at me. She places her hands on the table.
"Four was being sent to Erudite. In transit, Factionless attacked the vehicle. He escaped. Do you know where he would've gone?" I ask her.
She blinks in surprise.
"I would think he'd go to Factionless," she replies.
"What makes you say that?" Ryan questions.
"He can't come back here. He'd stay away from Abnegation because of his father. Candor probably wouldn't be an option because... well, they're Candor. They wouldn't hide a fugitive. Amity would be impossible to reach with the gate and the guards. I would think he'd hide out in Factionless," she explains.
"She is a smart girl," Max comments.
"What factions did you receive?" Lydia questions.
She looks to me and worriedly back at the others.
"It's alright," Jude says gently.
"Dauntless, Erudite, and Abnegation," she says softly.
I reach for her hand and she takes it.
"Give it to her," Max says about the serum.
"What is that?" she asks.
"It's truth serum. They just want to see if they can trust you like I do," I tell her soothingly. "I'm sorry."
"Wait... she's not pregnant, right?" Lydia asks.
"No," I reply. "She's on the pill."
"She might have a reaction, then," she says.
"So, we'll deal with it," Max insists.
Jax injects her and she looks like she's suffering from a severe migraine. I hold her while they ask the same questions. She responds with identical answers. Then, they continue on with new questions.
"Did you know that Four was working with the Factionless before he left Dauntless?" Max asks.
"No," she replies.
I pat her hair gently.
"Do you know who leads the Factionless?" he presses.
"No. I didn't know they had a leader," she says.
"What do you know about Evelyn Eaton?" he continues.
"She's dead. I went to her funeral when I was seven," she says.
"What do you know about Four's strange behavior before he shot you?" Max inquires.
"He'd snapped after the tracker injections. We broke up soon after. He was always talking about hiding from leadership. He had me living in fear. I told him that everything would be okay, that he just needed to calm down. He believed that Eric was the enemy and he wanted to go after him. I told him he needed to relax and everything would be fine. Sometimes I could get him to calm, other times he would take out his aggression on the bags in the training room. But he didn't listen the last time. I didn't know he had a gun on him until he raised it. I knew he would kill Eric and I couldn't allow that to happen when I could stop it. I should've done more. I could've reported him and had him get counseling. I was a coward because I thought I would be discovered by helping him. I shouldn't have done that. I should've got him the help he needed regardless of the consequences," she answers.
I hold her and leadership is staring at her. Three look confused. Jax and Jude appear concerned.
I kiss her head.
"Any more?" I ask them.
They all shake their heads. Lydia gets up and makes some tea. She hands it to Tris.
"Thank you," she says. "I think the serum has worn off but I'm still feeling the effects."
"Which ones?" Lydia asks.
"Headache," she says.
"The tea will help with that," Lydia replies.
She nods and sips the tea while I hold her.
"Are you loyal to the Divergent resistance?" Ryan asks.
"I didn't realize there was one," she responds confused.
"Will you be?" he questions.
"If that's the organization Four is affiliated with then no. I'm not loyal to them," she says.
"What about Dauntless?" Max asks.
"I am Dauntless," she tells him.
He motions for further elaboration.
"I'm loyal to my God and doing what's right. If I'm told to hold a gun to an innocent child's head then yes, I would question my orders. I believe we're all the same, regardless of our differences. I don't see you and me as being anything different but human. I respect you and I'd hope you respect me. If someone is harming the innocent, then I would question that. I don't believe Four is innocent. He is doing what's wrong. But I'm supposedly like him, yet I don't do those things and I never would," she replies.
"Your behavior baffles me," Lydia states.
"That I don't fit into Jeanine's description of a clinical diagnosis? I'm a human. My life experiences affect my behavior. If I'm putting good things in, then good will come out," she replies.
"For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.  A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him," Jude says.
"Exactly," she nods.
"What are you talking about, Jude?" Max asks.
"She's a Christian. She believes in following her God first. She's loyal to doing the right thing. She will submit to our authority. The only way she wouldn't is if you ask her to do something she believes is morally wrong," he states.
"For example?" Max questions.
"You command her to cheat on her husband. She won't do that. You ask her to kill an innocent person. She won't do that. You tell her to ignore her God, she won't do that," he elaborates.
"Is there a list of rules or something?" Max inquires confused.
"I'm to love God with all my heart and love my neighbor as myself," Tris replies.
"Simple enough. Don't cross her God and don't ask her to harm others," Max nods.
"What if you have to make a choice?" Jax asks.
"Like between Eric and Four?" she inquires. He nods. "I did what I could to keep the peace. Four was arrested and Eric was saved. I don't agree with what either were doing but I couldn't change their actions."
"Do you want to change our actions?" Lydia questions.
Tris frowns. "Are you killing innocent?" she asks.
"We send our Divergent to Erudite," Lydia explains. "We could have executed Four for attempted murder, especially against a leader."
"But Four wasn't innocent. He should have a consequence for his actions. Have the others done wrong? Or is it the possibility that Jeanine says they're capable of doing wrong?" Tris questions.
"That's enough from her," Max decides.
He looks disturbed. I'll admit her words are making me question my actions.
I squeeze her hand as she rises to leave. I feel like I've just upset leadership all over again by letting her speak with them.
We decide on a few more things and Jax is going to look into getting my list of requests started. We end the meeting and rise, separating to our offices.
"Eric?" Max calls out to me.
I remain. Ryan shuts the door.
"I'll admit, your wife has me questioning what we're doing," he divulges.
I look up to the camera.
"Yeah, yeah. She's always watching," he admits.
"What do you think about that?" I inquire.
He nods. "Maybe she's right," he says softly.
He sighs and rubs his face.
"Dismissed," he tells me.
"Sir," I nod and leave.
I walk to my office and request all the current information on Four. I work on the stack on my desk until the report arrives. I go through all the files and watch the recordings. I fast forward but get glimpses of what he's been up to. I'll have to wait for the next batch to get gathered but I send a request to Jax for copies of all of it.
I look to my watch and dinner has already started. I put the files away and head down. I notice Max is still in his office. He's got his head in his hands.
I knock on his door. "You alright?" I ask.
"Is she always like that?" he questions.
"She's gentle, soft spoken, kind, considerate, she's funny. I've never met anyone like her," I admit.
He nods and sighs harshly. There are papers scattered all over his desk.
"What are you looking at?" I question.
"All the Divergent we've sent to Jeanine in the last couple years," he says.
"You feel guilty?" I ask.
"Yeah," he nods. "There were two that caused trouble. We just started sending the rest because she said it was in their nature."
"She's always told me that, too. But she's always kind of felt off," I admit.
"How so?" he asks.
"She threatened my sister to get me to cooperate," I admit.
"What?" he questions.
"It started when she was five. I was ten. She told me I had to come here and replace Egan..." I admit.
"What did she say?" he asks giving me his full attention.
"She said that if I didn't go to Dauntless, that she would inject my sister with the contents of her syringe," I divulge.
"What was it?" he questions.
"At the time I didn't know... but I do now. It was death serum," I admit.
He stares at me for a moment. He looks back over all the forms on his desk—each holds a picture of a person that we've affected.
"You coming to dinner?" I ask.
He sighs. "Yeah, I'll be down there shortly."
"Alright," I nod.
I get down to the cafeteria and Tris is in line. I tap her shoulder and she looks but I'm not there. I chuckle and she turns around fully. She grins and shakes her head at me. I wrap my arms around her and kiss her gently.
The line proceeds and we move with it. We each grab our dinner—some creamy pasta with seasonal vegetables, grilled chicken, and some sort of pumpkin crumble cake. She tries the cranberry orange punch and that sounds good.
We head toward our table and I see Zeke. I nod to him. He smiles at me. I wonder how he's taking it—his best friend tried to kill me, shot his ex, and now is at large. I'll have to call him sometime.
We sit down at the table with Ryan, Lydia, and Jude.
"What's going on with Max?" Ryan asks me.
"He'll be coming soon," I say. "See," I point out when he walks in the cafeteria.
I rub Tris's back as we start on dinner.
"This is good," she comments.
"I always like the seasonal meals they make," Lydia grins. "So... no babies soon?"
Tris chokes on her bite and clears her throat. She clears it again and takes a sip. "No. I figured right now probably isn't the best time," she replies softly.
Lydia nods. "Are you guys planning on it?" she asks.
"We haven't talked about it," I admit.
"That's usually a second date kind of conversation," she teases winking at Tris.
Tris actually laughs at that and glances at me. She's blushing.
"So, how did it go conquering that fear of yours?" she asks.
"Um," she chuckles and looks to me again. "We barreled through that. I forced myself when I was ready."
They talk a bit more.
"So children are a second date kind of conversation," Ryan nods.
"Don't ask me. I wouldn't know," I admit.
"What are you talking about?" Max asks joining us.
Ryan explains.
"Once you're kind of interested—you know you want this—then you ask the question. It doesn't have to be so soon. It could take a while. Usually we leaders wait so long for Miss Right that we know before she does," Max explains.
"That helps," Ryan nods.
"Eric's got us all beat," Jude comments.
I look to him in question.
"I waited a month before proposing," Jude divulges.
"Me, too," Max adds.
"A month? Doesn't that seem kind of short?" Ryan asks skeptically.
"Well... many of the others in the faction start up the intimacy before the wedding, not after," Jude points out. "It wasn't always so. I think Egan started the looseness here."
"I think it was," Max nods. "My mama didn't approve. She couldn't stand the way he treated ladies here. Many of the younger girls left."
I think about that... that even towards the end, he was a womanizer. Maybe that's why everyone assumed Ryan and I were. He gave unmarried leaders a bad reputation—even though Max and Jude both lost their wives. I look to Tris and I see the chain to her dog tags sticking out from her shirt. I frown.
"What's the matter?" she asks me.
"Nothing, baby," I say kissing her gently.
We eat our dinner with light conversation. I see Jude rise.
"Well, I'm heading home for the night," he announces. He meets my eyes and I remember.
After we finish, I walk Tris home. We step inside. I see her loosening her tie. I grin at her.
"You look incredible in this uniform," I point out putting my arms around her.
"You want to help me take it off?" she asks.
I bite my lip and I'm so tempted... but I feel like I need to talk to Jude. I tell her that he wanted to speak to me privately.
"Okay," she nods.
"I'm honestly a little leery leaving you here without me," I admit.
"I'll be fine," she insists.
"Four's on the loose. You should probably keep the curtains drawn and all the doors and windows locked. I've got several additional firearms here," I tell her.
I show her where I keep loaded weapons. She looks surprised at the quantity but nods.
"I'll keep my firearm on until you return," she says.
"Alright," I force a smile.
I kiss her and step out. I lock up and cross the hallway. I knock on Jude's door. He calls me in and I enter.
"Have a seat," he motions to the sofa.
I sit and he offers me a glass of wine. It's a rosé. I pour a glass and sip it. It's good—a little dry and refreshing.
"You always pick the best wines," I tell him.
He chuckles lightly. "My wife was from Amity. Her family runs the vineyard. I learned from her," he admits.
I smile at that.
"I like your wife. She reminds me if mine—sweet, kind, loving... Divergent," he tells me.
I frown at that.
"She was around Max's age. But she got sick," he tells me.
"You always knew?" I question.
"She was different from the others—that much was obvious. But I didn't know for a while. I didn't care when I found out but Egan... he was different. Everyone had to hide things like that from him. Even before the rest decided to work with Jeanine, I knew what he wanted to do was wrong," he divulges.
"Why didn't you ever say anything?" I ask.
"Before your time, I did. My vote didn't count. The majority ruled. I knew that," he explains.
"And now?" I question.
"The others... it may take some time. I honestly think having your wife speak to them today did more to get them thinking than years of me trying," he admits. "Give them time. I'm sure they'll see now that they know."
"Alright," I nod.
"I think maybe you should speak with Abnegation," he tells me. "Your in-laws in particular."
"Why is that?" I question.
"Because they have information about the founding of our society. I think they may show you if you explain your predicament with your wife and the others... and the Erudite situation. And possibly the Eaton situation as well, now that I think about it," he suggests.
"Alright," I nod.
I sip the wine and we talk a bit more. He explains that he thinks Jax would be willing to join leadership if he were needed to vote against Jeanine.
I look at him surprised.
"I can see she's changed you. You see it now, that it's wrong. I know I can trust you with this. We could add another leader. We could suggest that we need the additional help with everything," he says.
"Yeah, but we'd have to add two," I point out.
"They'd never go for Tris now that they know... but Uriah is a different story," he tells me.
"Uriah?" I question surprised. "He's the biggest gossip. Why would you want to add him?"
"Think about it," Jude says sipping his wine.
"He's an exceptional Dauntless," I agree. I sip mine as well. "He's Divergent, isn't he?" I question.
"I'm fairly certain," he nods.
I don't believe Uriah would ever be a threat. He's completely loyal to Dauntless.
"Why don't you talk to Uriah tomorrow?" I suggest. "You could meet with both Pedrads. We needed to interrogate Four's friends anyway. Meanwhile, I'll go to Abnegation to see the in-laws."
"You don't see it, do you?" he questions.
"See what?" I ask confused. I thought I figured it all out.
"You're Erudite, Eric. You always were," he says.
I guffaw, "I'm Dauntless through and through."
"And Erudite as well," he adds. "It's obvious to anyone who really looks. Without your brains, we would've been lost on what to do. There would have been so many loopholes to our search. You sat down, heard part of the story, and covered every possible gap. You're obviously Divergent. It's how you choose to use this information is what matters—just like your wife. Do you follow Jeanine to attempt to stop the immovable flood? Do you join with the rebels and make another sort of mistake? Or do you take the road we were meant for—to work together with all willing factions to stop both atrocities? Those sides are wrong. Both are hungry for power. If you watch them, you can see it in Evelyn's eyes. She wants vengeance. So does Jeanine. Neither should have any sort of power and Erudite has drug Dauntless through the mud in their destructive wake. We are the defenders, the protectors. We are meant to stand up for those without a voice. That is our purpose."
I sip my wine again. I think over my aptitude test. I would've refused, had Jeanine not given me hypothetical prompts. I heard her scream and I did as commanded, as expected. I wouldn't have chosen. I would've refused to follow the simulation.
"Maybe you're right," I nod.
"What about the city?" he asks.
"I'll gather more information," I tell him.
He smiles at me. "That's always the best way to make a good decision," he agrees.
I thank him and head home. I unlock the door and step in. I call out that I'm home and decide to call my in-laws.
"Tris? Baby?" I shout.
I step down the hallway and find her in bed. She's got that sexy little nightgown on and she's asleep. She said Christina tucked it into her bag. She bought it as a wedding present on the way to the hospital. I unplug her phone and search her contacts. I see a Prior home number. It's not too late so I step out of the bedroom and call them.
"Hello?" Natalie answers.
"This is Eric," I tell her. "I just spoke with Jude and he recommended that I meet with you and Andrew tomorrow."
"We could do that," she replies. "What's it regarding?"
"I want to protect your daughter and others like her... but some of the leaders need convincing," I explain.
"Why does Beatrice need protection?" she asks me.
"Do you really not know?" I question surprised.
"I want to hear it from you," Natalie tells me firmly.
"I want to protect the Divergent," I admit. "I don't believe they're all bad like Jeanine was making them out to be but there are a few that are."
"Alright. Meet us in the morning," she says. "We'll be at the headquarters."
"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow," I confirm.
We both say our goodbyes and I hang up. I pocket her phone and brush my teeth. I turn off the lights and plug in our phones before climbing into bed.
"Who were you calling?" she asks rolling over and spooning with me.
"Your mom," I tell her over my shoulder.
"Is that one of Ryan's jokes?" she asks me and I chuckle.
"No, I was being serious," I laugh.
"Oh. Why?" she inquires.
I roll over to meet her eyes. "Can you keep a secret?" I ask.
"Not if I get injected with that serum again... or maybe, I don't know," she says. "Yeah, I could."
"Are you sure?" I grin. It sounded like she just had some sort of inner battle.
"Yes," she laughs rolling her eyes.
"Jude's wife was Divergent. I didn't know that. He's always been against this. I'm meeting with your parents tomorrow because he says they have information about the founding fathers and the city. He thinks it'll be relevant," I explain.
"Okay," she replies.
She smiles at me and reaches over to turn my lamp off. I feel her hand slide along my chest and she kisses me. I reach over and turn the light back on.
"Lights on?" she giggles.
I nod and kiss her. She sighs happily as I lay her down.