Forty-Two-Day Three 12.2

Tris

Our group—consisting of most of my closest friends—walks out of the complex together and follows the train tracks down a ways.  We stride past the industrial and residential areas to a somewhat abandoned space prior to the empty fields leading to Amity. I can hear the familiar noises of paintball gunfire in the distance—the easily recognizable popping sound and splatter. I hear cheering and complaining in response from the teams currently playing. 
"Oh, I'm getting excited," Uriah laughs jumping up and down. "And hey! Most of us were on the same team last time."
"Except me," Eric points out.
"Yeah, but we all like you," Uriah jokes.
"You like Four, too," Marlene says shoving his shoulder playfully.
"Yeah, but I like Eric better," Uriah teases grinning. "He's more social and into doing things together. Zip lining buddies," he says high-fiving Eric.
He chuckles beside me and kisses the back of my hand.
I smile at their banter.
"Plus, I'm not of fan of how he's been treating Tris," Uriah whispers to Marlene.
I frown at that. Is everyone aware?
"Don't worry about it," Eric tells me softly.
We arrive to a cement building.  There are tons of people congregating around the fenced in area.  I see people just leaving and others waiting around.  We get closer and see there's a team just starting to play.  They're all wearing black jumpsuits speckled with rainbow colored paint and helmets.  They're all running out and hiding in the area.  There's a field with tons of obstacles like scrapped rusty vehicles, wooden constructions, abandoned buildings, hills, and more.  A whistle blows signifying the start of the round.  Gunfire—or rather, paintball fire—begins.  I watch as some people get hit.  It looks like they hold their guns in the air, run back to a checkpoint, and can participate once more.  This looks incredible and I know I'm grinning at watching the playful battle. 
"Hey, Ryan," Eric says approaching the other leader.  Lydia is there, too, with her gargantuan boyfriend in the fighting league.  I join his side.  "What are you guys doing here?"
"We were thinking about joining if we could find a team," Ryan says. 
"I thought you wanted to be alone," Lydia teases Eric. 
"Maybe later," Eric shrugs the question off.  "I couldn't miss the opportunity to play this weekend and she'll be on my team this time... probably against Four."
Ryan guffaws at that.  "You can get even with him," he smirks. 
Eric introduces me to everyone.  I find out Lydia's boyfriend is Hale.  Some of his friends are here, too—other fighting league members.  They're Aries, Kane, Lynx, and Orion. They're all enormous and I'm hoping I'm not up against them.
"You want to join us?" Eric asks them.
"Sure," they all nod.
"I'll set it up," Eric says.  "Stay here for a moment.  I'll be right back... and stay away from Aries," he whispers to me. 
I glance at him confused but he kisses me.  I look back up to see that particular fighting league member checking me out. 
"So you and Eric, huh?" Ryan says putting his arm around me. 
"Yeah," I grin. 
"I'm just trying to keep Aries at bay," Ryan says quietly.  "He doesn't care if you're involved.  He'll come after you anyway."
"I've heard," I chuckle.  "Definitely not my type."
"Good.  Eric probably doesn't want to have to kill him," he jokes. 
I laugh lightly at that but I think he's being serious.  I hope not.  We continue watching the teams fighting.  Eric comes back a moment later. 
"We're up next.  Let's suit up.  They've got fifteen more minutes remaining," he tells us. 
"Alright," I nod. 
We all enter the lobby of the concrete building.  There are just as many people inside watching a wall of screens of the teams playing except there are closeups in here.  We walk toward a desk and they let us in counting our players.  There are two sides to enter—orange or purple.  There are actually four doors but two doors are closed.
"Ryan, Lydia, Hale, and Orion, you're with us in purple.  Aries, Kane, Lynx, you're with Zeke and Four on the orange team," Eric announces. 
"Four?" Aries says making a face. 
I chuckle at that. 
"Good luck, man," Hale says patting Aries on the shoulder.  He laughs as he turns around.  "He can't stand him," Hale whispers as he passes me heading toward the purple door with Lydia.
I grin and follow my team, Eric lacing his fingers with mine.  We move into a somewhat narrow corridor that opens up into a locker room.
"Small sizes to the right, largest to the left. Eric and fighting league, that means you. Any in between sizes in the middle," an employee announces. He's wearing a shirt that says staff. Lydia and I walk over to the right and we find some jumpsuits in our sizes. We put them on over our clothes.
"So... how are things with you and Eric?" she asks me.
"Good," I smile.
"Yeah?" she questions.
I nod grinning.
"I'm glad," she tells me. "He's been pretty lonely since he got promoted."
I frown at that.
"And now he has you," she says. "I've never seen him so happy before."
"I've never been this happy either," I admit.
She smiles at me and we grab our purple helmets.  We walk over with everyone else that's ready.  I feel arms slide around my waist and I look up to see Eric behind me. 
"Where's your helmet?" I ask. 
"Helmet?" he questions. 
I lift mine. 
"What's that for?" he questions. 
"For your head," I grin. 
He sighs and turns around letting me go.  I see him grab a helmet and try it on.  He removes it and runs his fingers through his hair straightening it.  He comes over to me. 
"It's a little tight," he grumbles. 
I put mine on. 
"Mine's too loose," I laugh and remove it. 
We listen in after everyone gathers around two staff members—the one wearing the staff shirt, the other dressed like us with staff written on his jumpsuit and helmet.  They give us direction.  The whistle will blow and we'll have fifteen minutes of game play.  If we're hit, we have to get to the checkpoint and touch if before we can continue to play.  We have to raise our hands and guns to alert the opposing team that we're out.  If we need more ammunition, grab it and load it at the checkpoint before returning to play.  After fifteen minutes, the whistle will blow.  We'll gather and switch sides.  This is also an opportunity to load more ammunition.  The whistle will blow and we'll try again.  Whichever team has the most casualties at the end will win.  They explain that the cameras and the helmets help keep track of hits. 
We're instructed to grab our guns.  Eric chooses one and passes it to me before he selects one for himself.  I put the strap around my shoulder and fill the feeder with a box of paintballs.  I rest my gun on my back so it's easier to move.  We shouldn't be shooting until the whistle blows anyway. 
"This sounds fun—more like messing around than capture the flag," Eric says. 
"Reminds me of missions," I tell him. 
"How so?" he asks. 
"Just looking out for the other side instead of actually retrieving something," I shrug. 
He nods. 
"It's time," the staff announces.  They open the door and I see the previous teams vacating the field.  We rush out. 
"We're all going to meet in the middle first," Christina tells us. 
"Alright," I nod.
I follow after everyone carrying my helmet and holding onto Eric's hand.  He has his gun slung across his back as well.  We meet up with the other team.  I see Zeke, Shauna, Lauren, Four, the three Fighting League members, and two Control Room workers.  There are two others I'm not familiar with. 
"Eric and I are team captains," Uriah announces.  Four's head immediately turns to see Eric with his arm protectively around my chest.  Nobody told him I'd be here clearly. 
"Four and I are captains," Zeke calls out. 
"Plan of action?" Uriah questions Eric as he walks up to us. 
"Everyone go after Four," Eric jokes. 
Everybody chuckles at that.  Aries even comes over and high fives Eric. 
"Come on.  Real plans," Zeke guffaws. 
"Let's win," Eric shrugs.  "And shoot Four," he mumbles. 
We're all laughing again. 
"Let's do this," Zeke says but he's grinning.  He even pats Eric on the back before we separate. 
I see Four staring at me as I put on my helmet.  I grasp my gun and we all separate.  Eric holds my other hand and we go off together to an abandoned building.  We step inside and try to get as high as we can.  We climb some stairs carefully and I hear the whistle blow as we arrive at a top level. 
"You man the window and I'll watch the stairs," Eric says. 
"Okay," I reply.  I look out the window and see a man advancing toward us in an orange helmet.  I shoot through the window and hit him in the chest with a green paintball.  He raises his arms and runs back to his checkpoint.  Several more orange approach our building.  They're creeping behind some wreckage.  I shoot at them but miss.  One attempts to shoot at me while the other runs—to cover them.  I move back to miss the paint.  It splatters the wall nearby.  That person advanced, though. 
"Incoming, Eric," I warn him. 
I hear a shot.  "Got em," he tells me. 
The other shoots wildly at me while running but I hit him with a blue paintball.  They both run back to their checkpoint together. 
Some big guys advance on us and I shoot and hit them easily.  They're too bulky to hide in the wreckage.  Purple and yellow paint is splattered on them.  They run back. 
I wait a little while and nobody is coming.  I'm surprised no one has advanced on us again.  I'm looking out the window for anyone else in range.  I see some firing in the distance but nothing near us. 
"Tris," someone says behind me. 
I turn quickly away from the window and aim at the person before me.  He's wearing an orange helmet with the green splatter on his chest.  He removes his helmet.  I knew it was him by his voice. 
"What do you want?" I ask him still pointing my gun at him. 
"I want to talk to you," he says. 
"No," I reply. 
I hear a shot from behind and see Eric at the stairwell. 
"You're out, Four.  Go back to your checkpoint," Eric tells him. 
He continues to stare at me. 
"Go on," I insist.
He sighs and nods.  "I'll be back," he responds before putting his helmet on.  I see someone climbing in another window.  It must be where he snuck in.  I shoot and hit them with a red paint smear as Four leaves through the stairs, not without bumping his shoulder with Eric's. 
I hear Eric guffaw at him and call him a punk.  I check my window once more to see nothing before I move toward the other.  I peer out and I'm shot at.  I move back quickly but I'm still hit.  I sigh and raise my hand and gun. 
"Ah, crap," Eric says.  He shoots the guy that hit me. 
"Let's move on.  I'll follow you out," he says. 
"Alright," I nod. 
I walk down the stairs to the entrance. 
"Two on either side," I tell him as I step out the doorway.  I look over my shoulder to see Eric waiting but I have to go back to the checkpoint.  He shoots one but the other hits him.  He raises his hand and gun as well.  He rushes to catch up with me. 
"I did that on purpose," he jokes. 
"No you didn't," I laugh. 
"Yeah, yeah," he chuckles.  We make it to the checkpoint and we're fine on ammunition so we cross back through the area.  We stay on a hill with a mostly intact car and use it as a shield. 
"I think he watched where you went," Eric tells me. 
"Look," I say motioning to the building we were at.  I see Four with the green spot on his chest and orange helmet. 
"Yeah, he's got yellow on his back.  That's him," Eric confirms.  "He's looking for you."
"He is," I agree. 
We observe as he searches our previous location and then comes out.  He searches around and sees a small woman with a large man. 
"I think he's going after Lydia and Hale," I tell Eric. 
He guffaws. 
"Hale won't hesitate to shoot him point blank," he chuckles. 
I watch as he tries to hug Lydia.  She flips him and kicks him while Hale does shoot him at close range.  I bite my lip at that but Eric is laughing. 
"Don't give our position away," I tell him. 
"Sorry," he whispers.  "He's pink now."
"Yeah," I agree.  It looks like it exploded all over him. 
"Let's move on.  This spot is boring," he insists. 
I rise and shoot someone with an orange spray.  I wince because they were close.  "Sorry," I apologize. 
"No problem, Tris," Zeke says. 
"Don't tell Four where we are," Eric tells him.  "He just tried to hug Lydia thinking she was Tris."
"Yeah, he's acting weird," Zeke agrees before running off to his checkpoint. 
We move on to a wooden construction on another hill nearby.  We can be seen up here but we have the high ground and a decent space to hide.  I see Four pass by but he doesn't notice us.  Some more from the orange team approach and we take them out—Eric and I working together.  Four approaches us and we shoot him and a teammate of his.  The whistle blows and we rise and switch sides.  We make our way to the checkpoint and I notice Four watching us as we pass.  He's acting really creepy. 
We play the second round and there's more action in our next location—more places to hide and more firefights.  We get hit more times than the last but Eric and I take out a vast majority of opponents than we get taken out.  By the time the whistle blows, I feel like our team did well.  I remove my helmet and step out of our hiding spot.  Eric pulls me back to him and kisses me.  I smile into the kiss.  As we separate, I notice Four standing nearby us. 
"Get lost, Four," Eric tells him taking my hand and walking me back. 
"You said you'd talk to me," Four replies. 
"Fine, after," Eric responds motioning toward the exit. 
"Are you really going to talk to him?" I ask him surprised. 
"I'm not afraid of him," he shrugs.  "And he's not drunk this time."
"Alright," I say softly. 
We get a group picture with our team before we go back to the locker room.  I set my gun down and put the helmet in the same locker as before.  I take the jumpsuit off and hang it up.  I step over to Eric and run my fingers through his hair.  I kiss him gently before we walk out.  We enter the lobby and I see replays of our battle.  It actually looks more exciting than the last and I smile at that. 
"That was amazing, wasn't it?" Christina says. 
"Yeah, but I didn't see you at all," I admit. 
"The helmets make it hard to play with friends," she agrees. 
"It looks like we won both times," Eric points out. 
"Oh, burn," Uriah taunts his brother. 
"Next time, I'm getting Eric and Tris.  It looks like they dominated round two," Zeke insists. 
I chuckle and look up to the board.  We did good. 
Four comes out and I frown.  I don't really want to speak with him.  Eric takes my hand and we step out of the building.  I look over my shoulder to see Four following. 
"I thought we were going to talk," Four says stepping outside. 
"So talk," Eric tells him walking away from the crowd. 
"I don't like seeing you with my girl," Four says harshly. 
"She's not your girl, Four.  She's mine," he replies. 
Four looks to me. 
"We were never really together.  You barely acknowledged me," I shrug.  "That's not a relationship."
"Why him?" he asks me. 
"Because he treats me well and I care for him," I respond. 
He looks hurt. 
"You ignored me.  Eric showers me with attention and affection," I tell him. 
"What else do you want to talk about, Four?" Eric questions. 
"Why him?" he continues. 
"I just told you," I say.  "He asked me out.  I said yes.  We get along well and I like him.  What more can I say but that?"
"Can't we work this out?" he questions. 
"No," I reply.  "There's nothing to work out.  I've moved on with my life and so should you."
He frowns and looks to Eric. 
"You're not the man she deserves," Four sneers. 
"Better than you," he replies. 
Four steps up to Eric and he pushes me behind him.  "Try it," Eric taunts. 
Four sighs and backs away.  He shakes his head.  "I warned you about him.  How could you end up with him?" he questions. 
"You're all talk, Four," I tell him.  "Eric has so many good qualities that I've seen for myself even before he asked me out.  He's a good man.  You have no right to judge him."
"Any more of those questions, Four, or are we done?" Eric asks him. 
Four stares at us. 
"Let's go.  We've got plenty more time together that we could be doing something better than wasting our time trying to convince Four of something he'll never understand," Eric says. 
"Yeah," I agree. 
We leave and he thankfully doesn't follow. 
"Where to?" Eric asks as we approach the compound. 
"I don't know," I admit. 
"Do you want to be alone or around people?" he questions. 
"Alone," I tell him. 
"My place?" he offers. 
"Sure," I agree.  I felt like I had to hold back telling him how I really feel about Eric because I think that's something I ought to tell him first.  We walk around the outside of the main compound and he leads me to a building.  We enter and cross the ground floor hallway to the elevator.  We take it up to the top floor.  The doors open to a familiar hallway and we walk to the end.  He unlocks his door and opens it for me.  I step in first and it is a nice space.  He sets his keys down and leads me over to the sofa. 
"You want something to drink?" he offers. 
"Sure," I agree. 
He walks over to his refrigerator as I sit on his sofa.  He lists off several options and tell him I'll have what he's having. He grins and opens a bottle and returns with two glasses of a glowing yellow beverage.
"What's this?" I inquire.
"Erudite's specialty," he replies.
I take the glass from him and he clanks his with me.
"To you," he says.
"To us," I reply.
He laughs lightly through his nose and takes a sip before setting the glass down. I sip it and I'm surprised how strong the lemon flavor is. It reminds me of a lemon candy I've tried before with Christina. I take another sip and it's interesting—not what I would've expected.
"Do you like it?" he asks.
I nod, "It's growing on me."
"Oh?" he questions caressing my cheek.
"I'm still not used to sweet things or strong flavors but this is good," I tell him setting the glass down.
"It's my favorite," he admits.
"I had a cola before at a club with Christina. It was good, but those are the only flavors I've had," I admit.
"We'll have to get you more to try," he grins.
I smile at that. What Four said in the hallway earlier resonates within me and I feel like I should have a serious talk with him... so I explain a bit. He listens as I tell him about Four's behavior earlier. I explain about his paranoia but when I bring up how one of the Erudite transfers mentioned that all that faction ever talked about was the Divergent, his expression changes.
"I know Jeanine came here several times during my initiation. She's been here so many times since then," I mention.
"Is there a question in there?" he inquires.
"What's going on with all that?" I ask softly.
He sighs and looks at me. He caresses my cheek once more.
"Involving other factions, that's confidential. But... since even dependents were aware, they are obsessed with study and searching out the Divergent. Erudite wants to partner with Dauntless. Jeanine is trying to convince leadership to join her," he admits to me.
"How do you feel about that?" I ask.
He sighs again. He looks to my lips and kisses me gently. "I don't want to lose you," he admits.
I wait for him to say something else but he kisses me again. I'm shaking in fear—of losing him too, and of what his response might be. I hold tightly to him. "I know what you are," he whispers in my ear. "And I don't care."
"What?" I ask confused, my heart pounding wildly.
"I will hide you from her," he says meeting my eyes. He threads his fingers through my hair. "I won't let them take over."
That's all the confirmation I need. I kiss him again and he deepens the kiss. I hold onto him and he holds me. He pecks my lips several times before drawing me even nearer. I rest my head on his chest and I can hear the fast beat of his heart, too. He gently pats my hair as he holds me affectionately.
"I love you," I tell him.
He laughs lightly in disbelief and tells me the same. We sit together in silence in each other's embrace. We lay back on his sofa and talk lightly finishing our drinks. The more I have, the more it grows on me.
"Would it be weird if I took you into my fear landscape?" he asks softly. 
"Only if you want to," I respond. 
"I do," he tells me. 
We rise and leave his building crossing the Pit.  We grab some serum from the vault and go up the staircase to the room in the Pire.  There are currently people climbing and using the tightrope but nobody in the fear landscape room.  He sets up the computer and I've honestly never done this since the day I became a member.  He injects himself and me, then hitting a button to start the program in a minute.  We walk into the room and he shuts the door. 
"Perhaps you can understand me better if you see for yourself," he says before the hallucination takes us away to his fears.  I observe as we go through several—a maze, spiders, several involving family.  I learn that he's related to Jeanine, that his mother looks just like her.  I can tell by his fears that he can't stand Jeanine, yet she coerces him.  There's one with me...
"This is new," he mutters. 
He's afraid of losing me.  There's another where I'm taken from him.  Yet another where he's afraid he would be forced to hurt me.  It's just like mine with my family and he shoots Jeanine instead.  The lights come back on and he grasps my hand, walking me out.  He steps to the computer and immediately wipes the fears—deleting then from the system. 
"I didn't expect those but I should've," he tells me softly. 
I reach out for him and hold him. 
We end up walking the Pit aimlessly before dinner, always connected.  I hold his hand or he wraps his arm around me.  We're both silent.  It feels like we're processing all the new information.  We pass several stores and Eric walks into one, pulling me with him.  I'm still in a bit if a daze—thinking about how he was trying to save me, protect me, he didn't want to lose me. 
He purchases something and I'm still hearing the ghost of that gunshot at Jeanine.  He chose me over her.  He has to hide that record because there have been hacks from somewhere—I'm assuming Erudite... her.  We step out of the shop and he approaches a bench nearby. We sit together. 
"Tris?" he whispers. 
"Hmm?" I reply focusing on him. 
"Let's get married," he says. 
"What?" I ask confused. 
He holds out a ring to me and I blink in surprise. 
"Be my wife," he whispers.  "I want to honor you and protect you."  He quotes scripture from church today and I'm just completely in awe. 
"What do you say?" he asks gently. 
I meet his eyes to see he's genuinely serious.  It oddly doesn't feel sudden or awkward.  This actually feels... right.  I grin in excitement and reach out slowly to give him my hand.  "Yes," I reply softly. 
He laughs lightly in disbelief but places the ring on my finger. 
"When?" I inquire as my smile grows. 
"Now," he whispers. 
He kisses me gently at first, slowly becoming more passionate, more fervorous.  I'm completely overcome by how he feels about me, how I feel his love in every touch.  I smile happily as we part. 
"Okay," I reply. 
I call Christina and he calls Ryan who handles the paperwork to make it completely legitimate.  We all meet up at my church and have my pastor marry us. Eric takes me home to his apartment—ours now. He lays me down and I'm trembling.
"I know," he whispers as he holds me. He calms me and he's gentle—loving and affectionate. I know we've only been together for a short time but as my apprehension melts away, I know without a doubt that he's my one and only.
"I love you, Stiff," he whispers into the night.
"I love you, too, Nose," I reply softly.