Forty-Six-The Cheater 14.2

Tris

I put my apron on after breakfast and wash up before going back to work. I prepare more food as the influx of the busiest time of the morning approaches.  We keep up with the traffic, replenishing dishes as needed. 
After the breakfast is mostly over, we begin cleaning up and start on preparations for lunch.  I look over the menu and it's very basic today—tuna and chicken salad, boiled eggs, raw vegetables, chips.  This meal is a simple one and we'll be finished in no time and helping out the dinner staff.  I usually work for two meals during the day.  Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays I do breakfast and lunch.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are lunch and dinner with those two days rotating with Saturdays and Sundays for days off.  This week, I work on Tuesday and have Thursday off.  Next week, I'll have Tuesday and Saturday off to give me every other weekend off.  I work early on Saturday and late on Sunday. 
I start on lunch, mixing the salads and putting large dishes in the walk-in refrigerator.  I chop up vegetables while others cut and fry the potato chips.  The eggs were made by someone else this morning during breakfast when it was slower—probably while Eric and I ate together.  I begin to pull the breakfast set up out and wash dishes while someone else sets out lunch.  I when I finish cleaning, I wash up and make sure the trays for lunch remain full.  My phone buzzes and I put everything in my arms away.  I take off my gloves and pull it out of my pocket.  It's Boyfriend calling. 
"Hello?" I say answering it. 
"Hey," Eric says.  "Come have lunch with me."
I look up to see him at the counter waving to me.  I smile at him but remember I won't have a break until later since I took mine early.  I start to protest but he interrupts...
"I already have it cleared," he tells me. 
"Okay," I say softly. 
He smiles at me in reply and I hang up.  I remove my apron and hook it on the rack before coming out.  I go through the line with him selecting my lunch.  It's nice to eat on a more consistent schedule.  As of late, I probably have been forgetting to eat some meals since I'm always the one to prepare them and my breaks are scheduled sporadically.  We exit the line and Eric puts his hand at my waist leading me up to his table with leadership. 
"Eric?" I ask worriedly. 
"It's fine.  Max wants to talk with you," he explains. 
"Alright," I say hesitantly. 
I know what this is probably about—I'm the one as of late that they've been persistently asking to join leadership.  He'll most likely ask me about signing up for leadership training again. 
Eric continues escorting me to his table and directs me to take the seat between Max and where he sets his tray.  I sit down and Max smiles warmly at me. 
"Glad you could join us," he greets me. 
I grin in response. 
"How are you feeling?" he questions. 
"Alright," I reply. 
We begin to eat together and Max does inquire about me joining them.  I see Four sit down at his table... but that girl, Mellissa, joins him.  I frown at that, feeling a stab to my chest. 
"You could think about it," Max offers.  "I'm sure Four was influencing you before... but as you can see, his behavior and opinions aren't always the right course of action—for himself and others."
I look back at Max. 
"He's very assertive and opinionated.  We actually admire those qualities in leadership.  It brings new perspectives and challenging ideas for us to implement.  But his behavior as of late won't be getting him any further offers from leadership," Max tells me. 
"What do you mean?" I question. 
"Poor personal choices lead to poor leaders.  After deceiving you, we won't consider him as an option for leadership again," he tells me simply.  "We believe in strong convictions and doing the right thing.  I could understand making a mistake and owning up to it... but that's not what he's doing.  I believe the current Dauntless leaders have such qualities."
I nod in understanding. 
"What do you say?" Eric asks me gently rubbing my back. 
"I'll have to think about it," I reply. 
"Well, that's better than a no," Max chuckles. 
"I'll take it," Eric smirks.  "Thursday is your day off?" he questions. 
I nod. 
"I can show you around.  You can see what we do and decide for yourself," he offers. 
I glance back to notice Four kissing that girl and I frown once more, my heart aching at seeing that again.  He has been deceiving me.  Perhaps he's wrong about leadership, too. 
"Okay," I nod. 
Eric gives me a real smile.  I finish my meal with them and I'm actually feeling much better.  Eric waits with me until Four is gone and walks me back to work.  He hugs me in front of everyone in the cafeteria. 
"I know it's hard... but he never deserved you.  You're too good for him," he says. 
I smile at his kind words.  He kisses my head and tells me he'll see me later.  I can't help but feel like his encouragement is what's getting me through this. 
I get back to work and we finish with the lunch.  We begin preparations on dinner and I see it's time for me to be off.  I clock out and leave for the day.  Dinner isn't for another hour or two and I'm nervous about going down there.  I go home—the same as usual. 
I step in my apartment and lock up.  I notice I broke a nail today and decide to give myself a manicure.  I clip my nails and start to file them down.  My phone buzzes and I see it's Christina calling me.