Eighty-Four-The Scent Of Beauty 25

Tris

I can't help but inhale the pleasant aroma of our new stock as it arrives today. I assist in unloading the new buckets overflowing with bunches of roses, lilies, carnations, daisies, sunflowers, calla lilies, some chrysanthemums, and other miscellaneous cut flowers from the truck as well as some greenery and a few potted plants.
I watch Daisy hug her parents in greeting. They tell her how her siblings are doing. She has six—absolutely unheard of in the city. She tells me larger families are common in Amity, though—something I'd never known before. She admits she wants a large family someday as well but she's heard she'll have to deliver in the Dauntless infirmary rather than the hospital. Erudite takes population control seriously with drastic measures but the rest of the factions don't mind. She was married young but her husband passed away early on. There was some sort of accident in Factionless where he fell through an abandoned building during patrols a few years back. She's been wearing her ring ever since and telling everyone who asks that she's married—but she's a widow. She still wants children, though.
I fill in the stock with the new flowers pulling the old out and setting them aside for pre-made arrangements. Some we'll preserve. So many people are fans of those. The scents are incredible. I enjoy my job so much. I know the pay is somewhat minuscule but the joy I have from my job far outweighs everything else. I can pay my rent to my shared apartment with Christina and I eat all of my meals in the cafeteria. Besides those expenses, I've got clothes and toiletries but that's about it. I don't need anything else and I'm satisfied with where I am.
Daisy walks in from the loading dock frowning.
"What's the matter?" I ask worriedly.
"One of my sisters is getting married. Two of my younger brothers already have a few kids. I guess my parents are happy for them but I get the feeling that they're... I wouldn't say sad or disappointed, but I think they're concerned about me," she explains with a shrug.
"Yeah," I nod in understanding.
I know what she means. I've gone through a few relationships in Dauntless and it's hard. I dated Four for a while. We just didn't suit. I wanted attention from him and the attention I frequently received was negative. I ended things early on. Then, I dated a little after that. The Dauntless I met just weren't for me. I kind of regretted letting Four go. He's moved on and is seeing some ex-Amity girl. She's pretty and bubbly. He appears happy.
"Perhaps we should stick with transfers?" she suggests.
"Are you looking?" I question intrigued.
"Maybe it's time to take the ring off," she says halfheartedly.
I nod but don't push her. I know she still loves him even though he's gone. She's probably right, though. The Dauntless-born are too loose in their morals from my experience. The transfers would probably be best for girls like us.
Daisy and I arrange floral assortments side by side in the back room and wrap them up into neatly tied bouquets with ribbons and colorful paper wraps.  We put them out in the main display for easy access. I clean up the mess in the back room while she assists a few customers at the counter.  I step out when I'm finished. 
"We've got a delivery," she smiles. 
"Alright.  I'll take it," I nod.  I love doing those. 
The door chimes and we both welcome Wendy.  She's on the leadership aide staff and she generally handles anything for the leaders. 
"Hi.  I've got an order to fill," she tells us. 
"Of course.  What can we do for you, Wendy?" Daisy inquires. 
"One of the aides just had a baby.  Leadership would like to send a gift basket but I'd like to send some flowers and a toy," she explains. 
"Oh, well Tris has been adding some excellent gifts ideas to our options," Daisy mentions. 
Wendy looks intrigued so I pull out the book of photographs from previous deliveries I've made. 
"These are incredible," Wendy compliments in awe. 
"Thank you," I say softly. 
"I'd like to send something like this," Wendy points to a floral arrangement of pink flowers and a stuffed bear.  "But I think leadership would like something like this," she motions to my largest basket.  It's filled with baby clothes, toys, miscellaneous essentials and a cake tower made out of disposable diapers, towels, and washcloths.  I add preserved flowers to the arrangement and a vase of fresh flowers.  I smile and take the information down—name of the woman in the infirmary, time of delivery, separate payments.  I take her payment and then she hands me Eric's point card for the other.  I'm surprised to receive his.  I open up his files and I'm shocked with how much he's ordered from us.  I handle the transactions quickly and give her the receipts. 
I get to work on assembling the gift basket and fabric cake.  I can't help my mind from drifting back to that excessive list of items from Eric.  I wonder if he has a girlfriend or something, since that would explain it.  I've never seen him with a female before but there are rumors floating around about him...  I dismiss the thought and complete my decorations before I get ready for the deliveries.  I load up our truck since this is a big order and drive around the exterior of the main compound to the infirmary.  I'm welcomed in by Dana—the head nurse.  I hug her since we're close.  She shows me which room I'm to deliver the gifts to.  I bring in Wendy's vase and stuffed animal first.  The woman is ecstatic to receive them.  I set them down on a side table for visitors and tell her I have one more.  She smiles and thanks me as she cuddles her new baby.  I return to the truck and Marlene helps me carry the rest.  She's a nurse here and they're not busy currently. 
"These are incredible, Tris.  I had no idea you were so talented," she says. 
"Thanks," I reply bashfully. 
We set the gift basket with clothes and toys down.  I set the armful of useable items—with an explanation tag for disassembly beside the basket while Marlene sets the beautiful arrangement of flowers down.  The mother is in awe.
"I hope you enjoy them," I smile. 
"Thank you," she replies. 
Her boyfriend—I'm assuming since I see no rings—grabs the card and reads it's from leadership.  Wendy was specific to write Leadership not just Eric.  He doesn't want full credit. 
I wish them congratulations once more and excuse myself as they examine the gifts.  I deliver the bouquet of flowers that Daisy took in the order for earlier.  I knock on the door and the woman answering looks so surprised and happy to receive them. 
"Happy birthday," I tell her. 
"Thank you," she says softly. 
I leave her as she admires her bouquet. 
I return to work and assist a few men buying the pre-assembled bouquets.  Those are always the most popular.  We almost sell out of them but it is a Friday night. 
Before we close up, I can't help but look at Eric's list of purchases.  I go through and they're not girlfriends.  They're all leadership related.  He orders for babies, weddings, anniversaries, and funerals.  I scroll back to my initiation and see a delivery to Candor.  He sent a gift to Al's family.  My heart clenches at that.  His speech back then sounded strange to me but I've heard other leaders give the same speech.  It's a prewritten oration given for such circumstances... because at a suicide, what do you say?  I understand now.  I was angry and irate before but he was just doing what he had to. 
I go to dinner and sit with my friends—Christina, Will, and Lynn.  We talk and smile, making jokes together.  Christina says she's glad to have the weekend off.  She and Will are going out tonight on a date.  I'm happy for them.  Lynn is planning on hitting the gym and going to the gun range.  I glance up at leadership and see Eric talking with the others—Max and Ryan are beside him.  Max is showing him something on his phone and Eric smiles. 
Uriah joins us. 
"So... I was just bringing Marlene her dinner," he mentions. 
I look up since he's directing his conversation at me. 
"I saw those baskets you put together.  They're incredible," he tells me. 
"Thanks," I reply grinning. 
"Apparently leadership was just visiting the mother earlier and couldn't stop complimenting the arrangements you made," he tells me. 
"Oh?" I question surprised. 
I glance back at leadership and Eric is looking at me.  I smile at him and turn back to my food bashfully.
The weeks pass and I make more deliveries. I bring an anniversary arrangement to a woman's work. Everyone is so excited for her. I bring dark red roses to a girl at the perfume store from a secret admirer. I smile at that thinking that's so romantic. I deliver more birthday bouquets and declarations of love. I'm so overjoyed that I come back and decide to create more handmade cards for our display. I get out my paper crafting supplies and create several designs. I put poetry inside and cut up shapes and flowers for the outside.
Eric comes in one day during the week. I'm currently making more cards and he asks what I'm doing so I show him. I'm a bit surprised that he's here... and speaking so casually with me.  I can't say that we've ever spoken—except for the situation with Al and the knives.  And perhaps if I count my first day here in the cafeteria, but that's all that comes to mind.
"So, you make these all by hand?" he questions.
I nod.
"Wendy said you've got an interesting selection of gifts," he mentions.
"I've got a scrapbook," I reply. 
I just recently added the ones I made for the new baby in there.  Those were kind of unique.  I show them to him and he's grinning at me. 
"You're pretty skilled," he comments. 
"Thank you," I say softly. 
"What are these?" he asks me motioning to the blankets. 
I explain that I knit or crochet them and embroider names, dates... etcetera on them. 
"They're common for funerals," I explain gently. 
He nods, "Those are nice.  You make them?"
"Yeah, all those Stiff habits paid off for something," I say jokingly. 
He grins in reply. 
"I do have a funeral I need something for," he mentions. 
"Oh," I frown. 
"It happens," he shrugs but he does seem to be weighed down. 
I show him our options and he selects the nicest things as gifts—floral arrangements for the family, a blanket embroidered, a gift basket with treats, and a stuffed animal for the child. 
"Do you make these, too?" he asks motioning to the stuffed dog on display. 
"I do," I nod. 
"Can I get that one?  His son has a fascination when trains," he motions to one in the picture. 
"Sure," I nod.  I can make a quick stuffed train for the family. 
"Thanks, Stiff," he tells me genuinely as I ring him up. 
"Anytime," I smile sadly handing him his receipt. 
I get to work on the stuffed toy and embroidery.  Daisy helps me to assemble and deliver everything.  The family seems grateful.  The little boy has to be no older than four and he clutches the train.  Afterward, Daisy and I attend the funeral near the Chasm.  The man—Dalton—passed on in a Factionless fight.  He got stabbed by a Factionless man that sounds to be crazy and losing his mind.  Eric gives the eulogy and it sounds like he may have actually known the man.  My heart aches for the wife and child.  It looks like grandparents were present when we delivered everything so they have family for help.  Eric's words are surprising and caring. I'm just in awe of the concern he gives for this man and his heroic effort in protecting the city.  He even tells a story about their youth together and it's touching. They must've been friends or at least acquaintances. I'm honestly in awe of his words—the bravery and strength from this man he's speaking of. We all toast to Dalton.
I actually see Eric leave the podium and hug the little boy. He searches the crowd and talks to the boy. The wife speaks with him as well and hugs him. He's still searching the crowd until his eyes land on me. He smiles and waves. So does the little boy. I step back in surprise but smile and wave. Eric's smile grows.
"I've never seen him like that," Daisy mentions.
"What?" I ask her drawing my attention to her.
"Eric," she replies. "I've never seen him smile."
"Yeah," I say softly.
"I hear they were distant relatives," she tells me. "His grandfather was a Dauntless leader. The guy who passed away was like a cousin or something... second cousin," she explains.
"Oh," I frown. "But Eric was Erudite."
"Yeah, I don't know. It's confusing," she shrugs.
I nod and glance back to Eric. I've never seen him with children. That little boy must be his second cousin once removed, then... if the story is true.
The next week at work Daisy takes in an order. I'm to take a bouquet to a bakery after my shift is over. I step in and tell them I have a delivery. Instead of me giving them the bouquet, I'm given a box of chocolates with a card. I'm confused but my name is written on the outside of a card. I open it completely surprised.