Forty-Three-The Stiff? 13.1

Eric

I step into the cafeteria irritably. I know it's my responsibility to train the next leader... but the Stiff? Why me? I'm definitely not looking forward to this.
She's already at the table next to Lydia. They're talking and laughing. Max sits beside her and rubs her back. I turn away and get into line grabbing my breakfast. I get the scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, the grilled vegetables, and fruit. I grab a muffin, too, and a cup of coffee.
I stride up to the table and sit beside Max.
"Late start?" Max asks me.
"Something like that," I mumble before sipping my coffee.
"Here comes Jude," Max comments.
I nod. I see him. Max seems exceedingly thrilled this morning. I know he's interested in Tris—her training in particular. She's definitely our most improved initiate this year. Her stage two and three results were incredibly fast—unheard of. Her stage one though was inadequate. I'm supposed to get her up to snuff for a leader-in-training and I'm dreading it. She was weak and lacking in skill for the vast majority of the first stage. But then... her fight with Molly pops into my head. I couldn't even hold back from telling her I was impressed. I shake that thought out of my head. It must've just been a one time thing. I've yet to see her fight like that again.
I focus on my plate as Ryan finally shows up.
"Hey," he says sitting beside me.
I nod in response.
"Excited about training today?" he teases. He knows I'm not. I give him an annoyed look in response. He laughs it off, though. "I envy you," he whispers.
"Why is that?" I ask with furrowed brows.
"Are you serious?" he questions me.
I raise my eyebrows in surprise.
"She's totally hot. Have you not even looked at her?" he says softly.
I honestly haven't. All I see when I look at her is those grey clothes the first day she arrived. That image is branded on my brain. I shake my head in response.
"Seriously, take a look. If things don't work out with your training, I'd be more than happy to take over. I'd love the opportunity to be pinning her to the mat," he chuckles.
"She's with Four," I tell him dismissively.
"No she's not," he disagrees. "They had an argument in the Pit. From what I hear, it's already over."
"I don't listen to gossip," I reply eating my muffin.
"I guess you'll miss your opportunity. Perhaps I'll step in then. She'd be perfect for me," he chuckles.
"Whatever," I mumble.
I finish my breakfast and rise.
"Stiff... let's go," I say not even looking at her.
"Coming," she replies. I feel her presence beside me trying to keep in step with my long strides. We put our trays on the return and turn to step out of the doors.
"Tris!" I hear someone call out from within the cafeteria. I surrender my attention to the voice realizing Four is approaching us.
"Great," I mumble sarcastically hearing the same sentiment repeated beside me.
"What do you want, Four?" she says tiredly.
"Can I talk to you?" he questions.
I sigh irritably.
"No. I'm busy," she replies.
"Please?" he pleads.
"Can we go, Eric?" she asks me.
"Sure," I agree easily.
"Are you seriously going to ignore me?" Four questions following us.
I keep walking doing exactly that.
"Tris!" he shouts.
"I said don't touch me again," she responds. I turn around to see her slap him across the face and pry his hand off of her arm.
I blink in surprise and realize he really is a pest.
"Don't come near her again," I warn him.
He's holding his cheek and it looks like she smacked him hard. We stride toward the training room together. I glance down at her to see she has her arms crossed over her chest defensively.
"I'm impressed," I tell her.
"It's not the first time I've slapped him," she mumbles.
Her fear landscape crosses my mind... the one that had us all laughing and I'm hoping he didn't do something to cause that. I shake that thought out of my head. There's no way. He knows better than to mess with initiates.
We arrive to the training room and I take her outside wordlessly. We run. She oddly keeps in step with me. I'm surprised and this isn't so bad. I thought she'd be lagging behind or complaining but I'm getting nothing from her. We run all through Dauntless and come back to the training room. I pass her a water and she thanks me.
I move onto the bags. She starts beside me as well. I focus on me and give her some time to get into it. When she's completely engrossed in her training, I look over to observe her. She's actually doing well. Her form is perfect, the power behind them not bad for her size. She could use some more muscle but she's doing well. I turn back to my bag and I finish there before telling her we're going to the mats. I remove my shoes and she follows without comment.
I get onto the mat and she joins me. She looks a bit nervous.
"Sparring only, Stiff," I tell her. "I'm not looking to have to visit you in the infirmary every day for the next several months."
She chuckles at that, "Alright."
I get into position and she immediately comes at me. I dodge her attack but I'm honestly surprised that she's so bold, so quick. She actually gets around me attempting to climb my back and I pull her off and pin her to the ground panting. She stares back at me attempting to break free. I take this moment to watch her struggle beneath me. Ryan was right—she's gorgeous. Her golden hair falls like a halo around her face. Those pale blue eyes appear determined to get out of this. Her skin looks soft and inviting. Her face is graceful and alluring. She's definitely pleasing on the eyes. Her figure has changed a bit... but who could tell before in her loose Stiff attire?
Her struggling breaks me out of my reverie.  She looks like she's about to kick me in a sensitive area so I hold her legs down with one hand and sit on them.  I take her hands in both of mine again and watch her writhe beneath me.  She tries to lift her chest up and slide out sideways from my hold.  I lean my full weight down on her and she groans and huffs in frustration. 
"Do you give up little Stiff?" I question. 
I can't help but look at her lips, how soft and inviting they look.  The determined set to them has me meeting her eyes. 
"I can't move," she whispers. 
"Where'd you learn that little maneuver?" I question. 
She stops her writhing and meets my eyes. 
"Lydia," is all she says. 
"Ah, I see.  She's giving you pointers already," I nod. 
She doesn't reply but begins to try to break free once more.  I notice being this close to her is intoxicating.  Even at the gym covered in sweat she smells incredible and enticing. 
I lean even closer to her ear and she stops fighting.  "Why don't you try that again?" I whisper to her.  I take one more glimpse of her as she is, craving this position with her before I release her and back away.  I get into my fighting stance and watch as she jumps up right back into her stance as well. 
I am impressed.  I motion for her to come at me.  She does so and dodges my arms coming around her.  She actually climbs fully onto my back this time and gets a firm hold—last time was more of an attempt.  I move my hands to stop her from putting me in a chokehold.  I lay back on the ground on her to get her off.  I hear an oomph as we hit the mat and I hope I didn't hurt her.  She's back after me quickly but I use that pause to flip myself on top of her.  She's trying to put her arms around my neck.  I see a bruise on her arm that's not from me. 
"Wait, Stiff," I tell her. 
She stops her writhing to look at me confused.  I'm laying on top of her but I take her arm in my hand.  Her bicep is covered in a bruise. 
"Who did this?" I ask lowly. 
"What are you talking about?" she questions perplexed. 
I poke her bruise and she winces. 
"I don't know," she mumbles. 
"That's where Four grabbed you this morning," I point out. 
"He has a vice grip," she mumbles. 
"Has he hurt you before?" I ask her. 
"Not that I know of," she responds. 
I realize the position we're in on the floor—me laying on top of her with her legs wrapped around my waist.  I rise quickly and I pull her up with me. 
"Again," I tell her. 
She laughs lightly and nods.  We fight but end up in similar positions several times before I train her on a forward attack—new punches, kicks, a combination of the two. She's progressing far faster than I could've ever imagined. I am impressed.
"That's enough for today. Hit the showers," I tell her walking away.
I honestly can't keep my eyes off of her and I need to stop. She's a Stiff.  I see her walking toward the female's locker room when I notice the bruise on her arm once more.  I pull my phone out of my pocket and take a photograph of it.  It came out and she's already disappeared inside.  I look the image over again and see the handprint on the back of her bicep before I pocket my phone.  I'm pissed. 
I step into the locker room and shower, then changing for the rest of the day.  I stride out with my bag in hand and take it up to my apartment.  As I arrive on my floor, I see Tris just stepping into hers.  I sigh and keep walking.  I open my door and go straight back to the washer.  I dump my workout clothes in and turn it on.  I decide to remove my shower kit and open the lid to throw the bag in, too.  I set the kit on my bathroom counter and check my appearance once more in the mirror before heading out.  I don't know why I bother but I do... Now that I've really seen her though, I can't get her out of my head.
I step out of my door to lock up and she does the same.
"Hey," she acknowledges me.
I nod at her and we ride the elevator down together. I notice the shirt she's wearing is covering up the bruise Four gave her.
"Trying to hide it?" I tease motioning to her shirt.
She looks at me confused for a moment. Then realization crosses her features.
"Sure, I went back in time and chose this particular shirt this morning and put it in my gym bag to hide the bruise Four gave me after breakfast. That is, if I didn't have extra-sensory perception and moved it with my mind," she responds.
I actually chuckle at that.
She cracks a smile at me.
"No. I probably should've changed in my apartment to flaunt the fact that I shouldn't take my eyes off of him when we're in the same room together," she says almost teasingly—but I think there's truth to it.
"I'll keep an eye out," I tell her.
"Oh? Are you going to watch Four 24/7?" she asks raising an eyebrow skeptically.
"No, but I'll make sure he doesn't approach you between now and going to the office," I reply.
"Thanks," she says softly.
We step out of the elevator and start crossing the Pit heading in the direction of the cafeteria.  I actually hear some of the gossip as we pass is about Four and Tris. 
"Geez, are they always this nosy?" she mumbles to herself. 
"Yes," I reply.  "What happened with you and Four?" I ask her. 
"We broke up?" she shrugs. 
I raise a skeptical eyebrow at her. 
She huffs in frustration, "Four likes to make a scene in public when he doesn't get his way."
I nod in understanding.  I've seen.  He has a tendency to throw temper tantrums like a toddler. 
"Just ignore it.  They'll find something else to talk about in a day or two," I advise. 
"I hope so," she mutters. 
We step into the cafeteria.  Four immediately looks in our direction and I shake my head at him.  He appears irritated but I turn my back to him and watch out for Tris.  I'll be talking to the others shortly. 
We get in line and grab some wrap sandwiches.  I select a dish of raw vegetables. 
"Are those any good?" she asks me. 
"I thought Stiffs were all about vegetables," I comment. 
"I've only had cooked ones," she admits taking a dish for herself. 
I grab a cup of dressing for me and notice she doesn't so I put one on her tray.  I get a bag of chips.  She mirrors my actions and even chooses the same drink as me. 
I walk her back to the table and Four rises as we pass near where he's seated.  I stop and block his route towards the Stiff.  "I suggest you don't continue on your current path," I tell him lowly. 
"You can't stop me from seeing my girl," he protests. 
"Watch me," I reply.  I don't move and wait for him to make his.  He seethes at me but turns away back to his seat. 
I start to move again to see Tris gaping at me. 
"I suggest you start walking.  I'm not standing between you and him now," I advise her. 
She scurries along beside me. 
"Thank you," she says softly. 
"I told you I'd watch out between now and the office," I restate. 
I take a seat beside Max. 
"What was that all about?" he asks me motioning to Four.
"Do you want to get upset in the cafeteria or your office?" I question him quietly while Tris sits beside me.
"Office probably," he responds but he already sounds angry.
I nod in reply. Ryan comes up and sits next to Tris.
"Hey, how was training?" he asks her.
"It was good," she replies.
"I bet your legs are tired," he comments grinning. Max and I wince.
"Why is that?" she asks taking the bait.
"Because you've been running through my mind all day," he replies smoothly.
"What?" she laughs confused.
I throw a celery stick at his head.
"You're laying it on too thick, genius," I tell him.
He chuckles and eats the celery anyway.
"What was that all about?" Tris whispers to me confused.
"That was a bad pickup line," I tell her.
"He was hitting on me?" she questions raising her eyebrows in confusion.
"Pretty much," I tell her.
She laughs at that.
"No thanks, Ryan," she says easily.
"Eh, we can be friends first," he replies.
"I recommend you don't touch her. She may slap you," I suggest.
"Alright," Ryan responds grudgingly.
Lydia and Jude join us but nothing substantial happens besides us eating and talking.  I take Tris up to the office level and Max joins me to walk her up.  I have her sit in her office and work on some paperwork.  I show her how to print off what's next whenever she's ready so she can pace herself. 
"What if I have a question?" she asks me. 
"Either save it for later or ask whoever is free.  I have a meeting with Max in his office," I tell her. 
"Alright.  Thank you," she says as I walk out of her office.
I step into Max's office and explain the situation. I tell him about what happened after breakfast, during training, and then just at lunch. I show him the picture of the bruise. He looks upset.
"He really grabbed her like that right in front of you?" he asks disbelievingly.
I nod in reply.
"Talk to her first. I'll have him brought in when you're finished," he says.
"Alright," I respond.
I rise and walk down to her office. She still has the door open.
"Stiff?" I say knocking on the door.
She surrenders her attention to me.
"I need to speak with you in my office," I tell her.
She nods and gets up following me.
"Shut the door," I tell her.
I sit at my desk and she sits in the chair across from me. This reminds me of the last time she was here—where she was crying and Four said she kissed him during training. I shake that thought out of my head and ask her what was going on with Four. She looks uncomfortable but a man grabbing and injuring a leader-in-training is not something we take lightly here. I ask her about the other time she slapped him.
"That was the day I went through one of Lauren's fears," she admits.
"That was the day you kissed him," I point out.
She winces, "Not exactly."
"What happened then?" I question.
She tells me everything and I'm shocked and livid.
"So, what you're saying is... Four lied to me and made a move on an initiate," I state.
She frowns and nods.
"Why'd you go to Erudite?" I question rubbing my temple.
"He humiliated me," she shrugs. "I thought I could talk to my brother about my boy problems," she divulges looking away embarrassed.
"Yeah, Four is weird," I reply sighing. "You know, I could make him Factionless if I wanted."
"Are you going to do that?" she frowns.
"You don't want him gone?" I question raising my eyebrow.
"No," she whispers.
I sigh irritably. "Bleeding heart," I mutter. I think on this whole ridiculous scenario. "Why did you freak out in Lauren's fear?" I question.
"It was an abduction fear," she says. I don't see the correlation of why it'd cause a reaction in her. I say as much. "I freaked out because I had just been abducted a few days before that," she whispers.
"What?" I demand.
"Peter, Drew, and Al kidnapped me," she admits. She tells me all that happened involving the situation and I insist she continues when she holds back.
"Why didn't you come to me during training?" I ask her.
She shrugs in embarrassment.
"Am I really that unapproachable?" I ask surprised.
"Like a bed of nails?" she says questioningly.
I laugh at that.
"What else?" I insist.
She divulges everything to me and I'm shocked by the extent of her torment. I can't believe she survived this initiation—physically and mentally. My initiation was a cakewalk compared to hers.
"Alright. You're dismissed. I need to talk with Max," I tell her with a wave of my hand.
"I'm not in trouble, am I?" she asks.
"Let me talk with Max," I respond.
She nods and leaves.
I sigh and rub my temple.  I can't believe all this happened.