Sixty-One-Have I Changed That Much? 19.1

Eric

I sit in the conference room with the rest of leadership divvying out the departments remaining for inspection this year. We've already done most of them. Jax, out head of the army, handled all of the security locations—which is the vast majority of them—and has taken him all week. Max actually accompanied him for two days because I know he's avoiding one assignment in particular. 
"What's left today?" I ask.
"The cafeteria, janitorial staff, infirmary, nursery, and the dirty store," Jude lists off.
"What's the dirty story again?" Ryan asks confused.
"I'll take it," Lydia says grinning as she grabs that file. "I'm sure it's too much for all of your delicate minds," she teases.
Ryan knocks my knee, "Dude, what's the dirty store?"
"Pornographic accessories," I whisper.
He nods. Yeah, nobody wants these.
"The cafeteria?" Jude offers.
"I'll take it," Ryan volunteers.
"Yeah, good luck with that," Lydia jokes.
"What's wrong with the cafeteria?" he asks bewildered.
"This is the health inspection," I remind him.
"Last year I had to shut them down for a day until they cleaned properly," Jude informs him. "The food wasn't stored at the appropriate temperatures and you don't want to know what I found... yeah, I'll just leave it at that."
Ryan looks to his file and gulps.
"You can't take it back," Lydia teases.
"Okay... janitorial, infirmary, and nursery," Jude offers.
I know neither of them want the nursery. Jude wasn't able to conceive and Max lost a child along with his wife at the same time. They both struggle with being around small children.
"Nursery," I call out.
"It's all yours," Jude surrenders it.
I watch as he and Max play Rock, Paper, Scissors for the remaining two.
Max wins... but I think neither of them are a win. I don't want either, that's for sure. The infirmary includes the morgue inspection and facilities.  The janitorial inspection includes all the public bathrooms in the compound. No, thank you.
"The janitorial inspection will take me the whole day," Jude explains. "But I wouldn't wait too long for the cafeteria either, Ryan."
"Why?" he asks confused.
"Do you want to eat something that'll make you sick?" I ask.
He shakes his head.
"If they have any of the major points wrong, close them immediately until they fix it. You don't want to start with dinner, have to stay late and work on Saturday morning, do you?" Jude asks.
"Leaving when we're done," he says opening his file.
"The rest of you can go at your leisure," Jude says. "Meeting adjourned."
"Yeah, go check out those toilets," Max jeers as he rises.
"Let me know about the morgue," Jude jokes back as we follow him out. Yeah, I got that last year.  I didn't want to be present during another cremation.
"Hey, Eric?" Lydia calls out from her office door. "Are you going to change some dirty diapers?"
"Oh, crap. I forgot about that," I grumble looking at my file.
"Yes, it will be," Ryan chuckles at the elevator with Jude. They high five each other laughing at me.
"Fabulous," I mumble striding to my office.
I put the inspection off until after lunch. I've got a little work on my desk and I see Max take Jude's stack and go back to his office. I'll leave Ryan's until I return—if I get back and he's not here. I sigh thinking about where to have lunch if the cafeteria is shut down. Nothing comes to mind so I'll play it by ear. I complete my stack and check my email. I go down for an early lunch and see they're still open. Ryan gives me a thumbs up from behind the counter. 
"I'm taking a break," he announces and comes out.
I choose a grilled cheese sandwich and the beef vegetable soup. I pick out some crackers, too. There's a fruit cup and I grab that. Ryan gets about the same except chicken noodle for him. We sit down together.
"How's it going so far?" I ask.
"I think they knew it was today," he points out.
I nod. "Good. They should keep it clean."
"How's yours?" he asks.
"I was going after lunch," I admit.
We eat our meal together and I notice several carts brought in and out of the cafeteria. "Infirmary and Nursery," Ryan points to them.
I nod.
"I should probably get going," I admit.
"Yeah, me too," he agrees.
We put our trays on the return and separate. I walk with my file in hand towards the nursery.  I see Max in the infirmary.  I think he wanted to do his on an empty stomach.  I don't blame him.  He has to test the facilities in the morgue today... I know from experience that the smell from cremation is nauseating.  I don't want to have to do that one again for a least several more years. 
I stride down the hallway to the child care facility.  It's fairly quiet in here.  I peer in to see some toddlers sitting down to lunch.  I picked a good time.  I see one person with the six toddlers and I check that off. 
"Eric?" Raven smiles at me—the department supervisor. "Inspection day?"
"It is," I nod. 
"Good timing.  I have to watch the toddlers but you're welcome to look around.  The babies are quiet now but the older kids will be back soon so take your pick," she says.  "I can have one of my workers help you out when the rest return."
"Thanks," I reply.  I start with the babies since I don't want to be in here when they're crying.  A woman is in there feeding a tiny baby.  She waves to me.  I go through just about everything when I hear the older kids arrive.  I step out and see a gorgeous blonde leading them into the room. 
"Okay.  What's next?" she asks. 
A couple raise their hands. 
"Cole," she calls on him. 
"We take off our hats and vests and hang them up," he replies. 
"That's right.  And after that?" she asks. 
More raise their hands.  "Morgan," she calls on a girl.
"We line up to wash our hands," she responds. 
"Very good.  Okay, we all know what to do.  Let's go," the blonde announces. 
I can't help but check her out as she observes the kids.  I see no ring on her hand so I'm good.  She's tall for a female with kind of a willowy frame, yet she has some muscles and curves.  She's got her hair in a loose knot on top of her head and there are a few wisps hanging free.  She checks her watch and claps her hands.  "You guys are doing great," she compliments them. 
I hear a few kids giggle at the words of praise and it even makes me smile. 
"Line up when you're done," she instructs. 
I see some of the kids that are finished line up just like she said.  There's an older woman standing with her probably between Max's and Jude's age.  She's a greying brunette.  She's pretty for an older woman but quiet.  The kids seem to respond to the blonde the most.  It's funny... I feel like I know her and I rack my brain for how. 
All the kids line up as Raven places bowls of soup down on the table. 
"Okay.  We have six bowls of chicken noodle on this side and six bowls of beef vegetable on this side.  Who wants chicken noodle?  Raise your hand," she says. 
Seven raise their hand.  "Okay decide who will be nice to their friends and eat the other.  I've got a sticker for the volunteer," she says. 
Cole raises his hand. 
"Alright.  Cole gets a sticker.  Everyone take a seat," she announces.  She puts a sticker on a chart next to his name.  He's got a lot. 
She lets the kids know their sandwich options—grilled cheese or ham and cheese.  It's half and half so they split them up. 
"Okay, let's thank Miss Raven for giving us lunch," she says. 
"Thank you, Miss Raven," they all say in unison and I grin. 
I don't even think my kindergarten teacher was this good.  She's remarkable with them. 
"Would you help Eric?" Raven tells her. 
"Hmm?" she asks confused. 
"Leadership inspection," Raven explains. 
"Oh," she nods.  She turns around, sees me, and she smiles at me.  "Hi, Eric," she greets me. 
"Hi," I smirk at her.  She's a knockout. 
"What can I help you with?" she asks. 
I explain what I'm here to do and she nods.  She takes me around and shows me the safety features of the child care facility.  I check off several things on my list.  She pauses for a moment and takes the toddlers to another room.  She lays out mats for them and they take a nap.  She turns off the light and joins me again. 
"You're incredible with them," I tell her. 
"Thank you," she says softly.  She blushes and I'm surprised a simple compliment would cause that kind of reaction... but I'm not complaining. 
She takes me back to the babies' room and we complete the vast majority of my list while she changes a diaper.  She does use gloves and I check that off.  She picks up one that cries and checks her chart hanging on the wall. 
"Martha.  She's due for a bottle," she tells the other woman. 
Martha nods and puts the sleeping baby in her arms in another crib and preps a bottle to feed the crying one.  She kisses the little girl on the head before passing her to Martha. 
"Um... what's left?  Bathrooms... and play room?" she asks. 
"Yeah, that and a couple others," I nod. 
"Okay," she replies. 
She shows me their bathroom facilities and there are so many tiny potties.  It looks pretty clean.  There's no piles of trash or messes.  It looks well-maintained.  She takes me to the play room.  I see bookshelves with organized books.  Small tables and chairs with kids of all ages coloring or looking at picture books.  There's one reading small words.  There's a toy section, too. I see several boys playing with trains.  Girls are holding stuffed bears or babies.  There's a girl playing with cars.  It looks organized, methodical, and in order. 
I check off several more things on my list.  I glance back to the blonde and she's bent down talking to a little boy. 
"Can you excuse me for a moment?" she asks. 
She takes the little boy to the restroom and shuts the door.  She comes back a moment later. 
"Did Kyle just use the potty?" Raven whispers to her. 
"He did," she nods. 
They both seem ecstatic about something so simple... but perhaps that was a first.  He is small. 
"What else do you need?" she asks me. 
"I've got one more thing to fill out," I say as I see parents coming to pick up some kids. 
"I'm sorry, I'll be right with you," she tells me.  "Okay, everyone with toys... I want them put away where you got them—every piece," she tells the kids.  "Books go on the bookshelf.  Crafts go in the craft bin.  Crayons go back in the buckets.  After everything is picked up, you can go home."
The kids listen and they're finished in a matter of minutes.  She assists, though.  She passes babies to parents and holds toddlers' hands.  The big kids go off easily and pretty soon, it's just me and the workers. 
"Sorry about that.  It can get hectic at pickup," she apologizes. 
"No problem," I tell her. 
"What other questions do you have?" she asks. 
"Staff names," I tell her. 
"You know Raven is our manager.  Martha is with the babies.  Paula with the older kids," she shrugs. 
"And you?" I question. 
She laughs at me like I'm joking. 
"It's only been a year, Eric.  Have I changed that much?" she asks me. 
"Obviously," I reply. 
"Tris," she tells me. 
"No way," I guffaw. 
She shrugs.  "I guess I've sprouted and I'm unrecognizable," she teases. 
"Not that different," I insist.  I see it now.  "What are you doing after this?"
"Dinner," she shrugs again. 
"Can I take you?" I ask. 
"We're going to the same place," she grins.
She grabs her bag and says goodbye to the rest. I walk her out. I can't stop glancing at her. "You're good at what you do," I tell her.
"Thank you. I've had lots of practice," she replies.
"Younger siblings?" I question.
"No," she shakes her head. "My mother handles adoption in the city. We fostered often while they waited for permanent homes."
"Really?" I ask surprised.
She hums a reply and nods.
"All ages?" I inquire.
"Yeah," she responds.
We arrive to the cafeteria quicker than I'd hoped.
"What are you doing this weekend?" I ask.
"It's Christina's birthday. Will is throwing her a party," she tells me.
"What kind of party?" I ask.
"Small," she replies. "Just a handful of people, pizza, cake... I think those are traditional. I wouldn't know."
"Why not?" I question.
"I don't know my birthday. I've never celebrated," she shrugs.
"Are you serious?" I question surprised.
She nods.
"I could look it up for you," I offer. "It should be in your file."
"If you want. I'm probably not going to start celebrating now," she admits.
That thought makes me sad.
"What about the rest of the weekend?" I ask.
"I promised to take her shopping before the party tomorrow and I've got church on Sunday," she admits.
"I didn't realize you were religious," I point out.
"I asked the children to give thanks before a meal," she teases.
"Are you saying you made them pray?" I question. It didn't seem like that.
"No, just thankful and kind," she replies.
I nod.
"Can I take you out some time?" I decide. I've been dancing around it long enough and I'm getting nowhere.
"I'm sorry. I don't date," she frowns.
"Why not?" I question.
She looks away from me. "Um... I've had a bad experience in the past. And for religious reasons, I guess you could say. I'm not interested in that."
"Why not?" I press.
"Let's just say the last guy I saw didn't make me enjoy the experience. I'm perfectly content to be single," she admits.
"He clearly was the wrong one," I tell her.
"Yeah," she nods.
"Hey, Tris," Four calls out coming closer to us.
She winces as he arrives.
"What do you want, Four?" she asks.
"Nothing," he replies pursing his lips.
"Okay, then. Goodbye," she responds.
"What are you doing here, Eric?" he asks me.
"We were talking... and I think you were leaving," I point out.
He looks to Tris and she waves to him.
He huffs in frustration and walks away.
"How about as friends?" I question.
She wavers. "Stop trying to get in," she teases.
"But it's really where I want to be," I admit.
She sighs. "Fine. Friends," she says reaching out to shake my hand. I'll take it. "Maybe I'll see you around," she tells me walking away to get in line. I smirk at her retreating form.
"Must've gone well," Max teases as he pats my shoulder roughly.
"Yeah, better than expected," I nod.
I see her exit the line and she smiles at me once more as she passes us. She sits with her friends and I can't believe I never noticed her before.
Max and I grab dinner. It's some sort of creamy chicken with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes along with rice. I get two pieces of chicken and take my tray to the leadership table. I sit with Ryan and Max but I can't stop watching her.  She's so animated and constantly grinning.  It looks like Uriah tells a joke and the whole table is laughing.  Her smile is gorgeous. 
"Who's got your attention, Eric?" Ryan asks joining us. 
"The Stiff," Max answers. 
"Where?" Ryan questions.  "I haven't seen her in forever."
I point her out to him and his jaw drops. 
"She is hot.  What happened?" he asks.
I chuckle and go back to my plate.  I glance her way a few times... and I notice, on occasion she's looking my way, too.