Forty-One-Day Three 12.1

Tris

I spend more time on my appearance this morning in anticipation of Eric joining me for service.  I do my own makeup.  It's not as good as Christina's but it's fine.  I put my hair into an updo and Christina does help me pin it.  It looks good. 
I check my reflection in my floor-length mirror once more.  I'm wearing a dress with three-quarters sleeves.  The skirt comes to just above my knees, flares a bit and is gathered at the waist.  The neck is modest and appropriate for church.
"Do you want some perfume?" Christina offers from my door.
"Sure," I nod. "I'm a big fan of your Flirty. I'm going to have to get one of my own."
She chuckles at that and I follow her to her bedroom.  She spritzes me.
"Let's go down to breakfast," she says placing the bottle down on her dresser.
I grab my purse and we head out together crossing the mostly empty Pit.  We arrive at breakfast and it's not busy as usual on a Sunday morning.  We get in line.  I choose some scrambled eggs, a blueberry muffin, bacon, a yogurt cup, and a small bowl of sliced fruit.  I select a glass of orange juice and we sit at our usual table.  Nobody else is here. 
"So, what's going on with Will and Uriah?" I inquire. 
"Uri got another pet," she tells me cringing.  She's not a fan of the snake. 
"Oh?" I question.  "What's it this time?"
"A giant spider," she tells me deadpan.  Then she shivers like crazy making a repulsive noise. 
"What do those even eat?" I ask.  "I know the snake eats mice but..."
"Get this," she says spreading her arms out for effect.  "They eat bugs."
I chuckle at her shivering again.  I know she has bug fears—moths for sure. 
"I take it you're never going to their place again," I chuckle. 
"Will will definitely be coming over more," she explains. 
"Maybe we'll spend more time at Eric's," I suggest. 
"Or we could hang out together," she shrugs. 
I smile at that. 
"Hello, Ladies," Will says taking the seat next to Christina and kissing her cheek.  "Good news," he says sarcastically rolling his eyes. 
"That does not sound like good news," Christina says raising an eyebrow. 
"Well... I don't mind, but I'm sure you will," he says.  She motions for him to continue.  "The good news is that Uriah got a male for his female snake."
Christina sighs, "So there will be little snake babies?"
"Absolutely," he grins.  "They're already getting along really well," he chuckles. 
"What does that mean?" she asks. 
"We had to separate them.  They've already mated," he laughs. 
I chuckle uncomfortably at that and eat my muffin. 
"Fabulous," Christina cringes. 
"The bad news is... Uri talked with the pet store owner and he wants to be a breeder for the snakes, the spiders, and... the food for the spiders," he divulges. 
"Oh my goodness," Christina says around a bite eggs.  "That's disgusting.  What will he be breeding?"
"Cockroaches," Will giggles. 
Christina rises and shakes, jumping up and down.  She's wiping invisible bugs off her arms and legs.  "Why me, God?" she pleads raising her hands to the sky. 
I see Eric pass by with his tray and stop chuckling.  "Clearly your table is more entertaining than mine today," he grins.  "Good morning," he kisses me. 
"Morning," I smile.  I notice his buttoned down shirt and sweater with dress pants.  He looks good. 
"You look nice," he whispers on my cheek. 
"So do you," I reply softly. 
"So, what'd I miss?" he questions. 
I fill him in and he's chuckling.  "Several of her fears involve insects," he tells me quietly. 
"I know about the moths," I admit and he laughs. 
"You guys have some weird fears," he teases. 
"Oh?  What are yours?" I question. 
He bites his lip.  "Maybe I'll show you later," he says. 
I grin at him but don't really expect him to do that. Christina takes her seat once more. "I am not going back to your apartment again," she says.
Will sighs but he's grinning and trying not to laugh. Eric talks to Will about the snakes and they're getting along well. They do work up in the offices together.
"So, Marlene was telling me they opened up some kind of paintball course outside of the compound. It's a members only kind of thing so the dependents can't practice early but I thought that sounded up your man's alley," Christina tells me.
"That sounds like fun," I nod.
"It's a pay to play kind of thing but it sounded interesting. Maybe we should all go tonight?" she suggests.
I look back to Eric. "You guys could come over and see them if you want, though Uriah doesn't want anyone handling the female for a while. The male is a little more aggressive and has been known to bite," Will explains.
"I'm not worried," he chuckles. "Would you want to do that?" he nudges me.
"Sure," I nod. "Christina says there's a place where we can play paintball."
"There is," he grins. "I definitely want you on my team this time."
I make a sound of protest. "You want the weak ones this time?" I tease.
"You know I was being sarcastic," he says rolling his eyes.
"Were you now?" I grin.
"Completely," he smirks. "I was mad. I was going to pick you first."
"You were?" I question disbelievingly.
"No cameras in some areas there," he whispers in my ear. "I couldn't risk kissing you in the compound or we'd both be Factionless during training."
"Why'd you wait so long?" I ask him surprised.
"Four's been lying to me for a while," he admits.
I frown at that. He kisses me gently.  "You're mine now, though," he says softly. 
"I am," I whisper. 
We finish our breakfast and head out to church.  Eric walks with me holding my hand.  There's a newer location in the Pit. Before that, we went to Candor or Erudite on occasion. We arrive and sit through the service—Eric on one side of me, Christina on the other with Will beside her. The pastor speaks about husbands loving their wives like Christ loved the church. How they ought to love their wives as themselves. He speaks more on the marriage covenant and honoring each other. I glance at Eric and he smiles at me with an unreadable look in his eyes. I smile back.
We talk a little with everyone before we leave. We decide to wear something a little more casual to visit Will and Uriah's place so Christina and I go back to our apartment to change while Eric goes to his.
"I'll meet you there," Eric says kissing me gently before parting.
"Okay," I smile.
I wave to him as he leaves.
Christina and I make the trek home. More people are up now and just heading out for breakfast. We walk through the increasing crowd back to our building. She unlocks the door and changes in her room while I change in mine. I put on some jeans with a pseudo-dressy top. It's a solid sleeveless shirt with lace overlay. The collar has a small lace trim and the capped sleeves are a ruffle of larger lace. I decide to wear a long sleeved shrug sweater over it. I step out of my bedroom and go to the bathroom. I take some of my makeup off with a wipe but I apply a lighter shade of shadow on and a slight pink lip tint. I let my hair down and do a quick loose fishtail side braid. I step out to see Christina sitting on the sofa filing her nails. She has her manicure set out and several polishes.
"You're not coming?" I frown.
"Heck no," she says shaking her head. "I'll probably never set foot in that apartment again."
"Really?" I ask furrowing my brows.
"Probably not. I know. I'm a coward. But whatever," she shrugs. "I don't get along well with bugs."
"Sorry," I apologize.
"It's fine," she waves it off. "Your roses are starting to open."
"Yeah," I smile leaning over and inhaling the lovely scent.
"You know... the dark red symbolizes undeclared love," she tells me.
I blink in surprise.
"For a former Erudite, I bet he knows that," she grins.
I smile in response and tell her I'll see her later. I step out of our apartment and I sigh dreamily. Is he really in love with me? I hope so...
I walk to Will's apartment in a daze, so overcome with joy just thinking about that. How do I feel about Eric? I can't help the smile that forms on my face just thinking about him. I sigh shakily. Yeah, maybe I'm there, too. I cross the Pit still in my own happy fantasy and enter their building. I climb the stairs and almost bump into someone.
"Hey, Tris. I've been wanting to see you," Four says softly grasping both of my arms with his hands.
My happy moment is gone and I frown.
"I'm going somewhere," I tell him.
"Do you want to come back to my place?" he whispers.
I forgot his building is the same as Uriah and Will's.
"No, I don't," I respond moving out of his grasp and walking around him.
He grabs my arm from behind. "I'm not happy about you seeing Eric," he says lowly.
"And I'm not happy about you always ignoring me. That's why I don't see you anymore," I tell him removing his hand again. "Grab me once more and I'm calling security."
"Why are you being like this?" he questions harshly. "Has Eric turned you against me?"
"I'm happy with Eric. I was miserable with you," I tell him walking away. I hear his footsteps following me.
"You know you're not safe with him," he whispers harshly. 
I close my eyes in irritation, "Stop following me or I'll still call security."
I keep walking but his footsteps halt. I sigh in relief and keep going up the stairs to the eighth floor attempting to shake the bad feelings he causes off. I step out of the stairwell on their floor and walk down to their room knocking on the door. I sigh in relief as Will opens the door for me.
"Hey," he greets me.
"Hi," I reply stepping in. "Sorry Christina couldn't make it."
"I figured the moment he brought more in that she wasn't coming back.  She was already leery about the snake and mice," he admits scratching his neck. 
I see Eric is already here. And Uriah is awake so that's good.  I go over and join Eric's side on the sofa. 
"So, I hear you're going to be a breeder?" I say to Uriah. 
"Yeah," he laughs.  "I'm waiting on a male for my spider.  It's probably going to be a while to get her settled.  Plus, I've got to build up my population for their food."
I nod.  He shows us his newer pets.  Eric seems kind of standoffish with the giant spider but he's fine with the snakes.  I hold the male.  He does bite me and it's fine.  I don't even really feel anything but a prick. 
"Sorry about that.  She's a sweetheart but he's a bit feistier," Uriah apologizes. 
"It's fine," I say blowing it off. 
Uriah cleans the wound. 
"You're pretty tough," Eric grins. 
"It didn't really feel like anything," I shake it off. 
"They're not poisonous, right?" Eric questions. 
"It's nonvenomous," Uriah explains.  "They're constrictors."
Eric nods in understanding pursing his lips. 
They show us the enormous bin they have for breeding the cockroaches and I'm surprised they have that many already. 
"Christina would freak out," Will chuckles.  "My girl is as tough as cotton balls."
Everyone laughs. 
Marlene and Lynn arrive and join us.  We decide to order pizza and have it delivered for lunch.  Eric is so sweet and pays for everyone.  I try his and Will's favorite from Erudite—Margherita.  It's delicious.  Uriah's choice is good, too.  We finish lunch and Will calls up Christina to meet us in the Pit to play paintball.  We head out and walk down the staircase in their building.  I'm reminded of the encounter with Four earlier.  I feel the ghost of his bad vibes. 
"Are you alright?" Eric asks concerned. 
"Yeah, I'll tell you later," I reply softly. 
He nods but still looks worried.  I force a smile and squeeze his hand as he holds mine.  We exit the building and cross through the Pit to the meeting point.  Christina is already there waving at us. 
"Is this everyone?" Christina asks.
"Zeke will be meeting us there with some friends," Uriah shrugs. "We'll be playing his team."
Eric and I share a look.
"You know who's going to be there," he smirks.
"I just ran into him in the stairwell before I arrived," I admit.
"I guess we're sticking together, then," he nods. "We'll gang up on him," he grins.
"I think that's what Christina and Will will probably do, too," I admit.
He chuckles in reply.
"Did you know shooting at point blank range will leave a welt?" he whispers in my ear.
"You wouldn't?" I question.
"Wouldn't I?" he smirks.
I slap his chest playfully. "You won't," I insist.
"It wouldn't be the first time," he shrugs.
"When?" I question.
"Every year," he admits.
"That stops now," I say outraged.
"Fine," he agrees grudgingly.