Forty-Seven-The Cheater 14.3

Tris

The next morning Boyfriend texts me asking if I want to join him for breakfast.  I respond that I'm almost ready.  There's a knock on my door and I go to open it.  I smile grateful that it's Eric. 
"Good morning," he says hugging me. 
"Morning," I grin as he holds me. 
"Are you about ready?" he asks.
"Yeah," I reply.  I lock up and we head down to breakfast together. 
"You have the morning off, don't you?" he questions. 
"I do," I nod.
"When do you get off?" he inquires.
"After dinner is over. Sometimes it's later if we're prepping for the morning," I explain.
He frowns and nods.
We get down to breakfast and there are some danishes. I'm glad I didn't have to prep these last night—they're delicious but incredibly time-consuming to prepare. I take a cherry one, some scrambled eggs, bacon, and an apple. I get a cup of coffee since I know I'll be up later, but then I have to work early tomorrow. That's one thing about this job, sometimes the schedule is kind of awful.
Eric sits with me at my friends' table but nobody else has arrived yet.
"Don't you have to sit with the leaders?" I question.
"I will later," he replies easily.
I feel like he's sitting with me for a reason. Before I know it, someone sets their tray on the other side of me and takes the seat.
"Tris, we need to talk," Four insists.
"Fine, talk," I say.
"In private," he whispers.
"Not going to happen," I tell him dismissively.
Eric is still beside me. I feel his hand on my back rubbing in a soothing motion. I relax somewhat.
"I'm not going to talk to you in front of Eric," he says firmly.
"Fine. Don't talk then. I didn't want to hear your lame excuses anyway," I shrug.
"What has happened to you?" he questions.
I look at him and he seems confused.
"I saw you kissing Mellissa at your door on Friday. You were both talking about how she pleases you. Go to her from now on," I tell him before turning back to my food.
"I don't know what you're talking about," he says shaking his head.
"You're not seeing anyone else, right? No, only you, baby," I mock using their voices. "Does that sound familiar? She said the same thing to some guy on the phone walking down the hallway after leaving your apartment. You may want to get checked for STDs."
I hear Eric chuckle beside me.
I look to him and raise an eyebrow.
"You want to know why leadership wouldn't mess around with any of those Dauntless floozies regardless of the rumors?" Eric asks me.
"Why's that?" I question.
"Because we all have access to their medical records," he replies.
"Do I want to know?" I wince in disgust.
"No, but I'm sure Four is dying to know," he responds. "Go sit somewhere else, Four. You don't have to leave the table but she's finished with you. There's nothing more to say."
"He's right," I nod looking at him. I wave hoping he gets the picture.
"What has Eric done to you?" he whispers.
"Are you dense? You did this to yourself," I reply eating my breakfast and ignoring him.
He gets up and walks away.
"Finally," I mumble.
"Yeah, you'll do fine," Eric says.
"Were you worried about me?" I question.
"I was a little," he admits.
We eat our breakfast together and ignore Four at the end of the table. Christina, Will, and Uriah join us.  They talk with Eric and seem pretty friendly with him. 
"I better get to work.  Will you be okay?" Eric asks. 
I see that Four is talking to Zeke and Shauna. 
"Yeah, I'll be fine," I reply nodding. 
"You sure?" he asks worriedly. 
"I'm sure," I smile at his concern. 
"Alright.  I'll see you for lunch.  I've got you set up for breaks at appropriate times," he tells me.  I nod in understanding.  He explained last night that leadership is concerned about my health and my schedule has been switched to accommodate me. 
He gives me a side hug and kisses my temple.  I say goodbye as he leaves.  I turn back to my friends to see them all gaping at me.  Marlene and Lynn sit down and ask what's going on. 
"I'm wondering that, too," Christina says. 
I begin to eat my danish and she nudges me as everyone else talks. 
"What's with Eric?" she asks me quietly grinning. 
I try to explain that he's just taken it upon himself to watch out for me.  I tell her that I can't really explain what's going on since I'm not entirely sure myself. 
"I think he likes you," she says. 
"Maybe," I reply halfheartedly.  I don't want to get my hopes up. 
"Are you going to finally tell me what's going on between you and Eric?" Four demands sitting beside me in the seat Eric just vacated. 
"No," I respond. 
"I think you lost your right to make demands from her the moment you cheated on her, Four," Christina snaps. 
"This doesn't involve you, Candor," Four replies to her. 
"Take a hike, Four," Uriah adds. 
"Really, Uri?  You, too?" Four frowns. 
"You know we're friends with Mellissa's sister, right?  I asked her how long you two have been seeing each other.  She said it's been close to two months and Mellissa was under the impression that you weren't seeing anyone else.  But she still is—nine other guys," Uriah responds. 
"How do you know her sister?" I ask taking another bite of my danish. 
"She'll Choose this year.  She was in one of my classes last year.  She'll probably choose Erudite," he explains eating his bacon. 
"So, Four thinks he's sneaky," Marlene chuckles. 
"Jokes on you, Four," Lynn continues. 
"I hope you enjoy your current relationship, Four.  I hope she pleases you the way you want since I was apparently too frigid for expecting marriage first.  I'm glad I found out what you really wanted before I made a bigger mistake," I tell him. 
"You wanted to get married?" he questions softly. 
"I picked out a ring with you... and you gave me a toy thinking that was what I wanted.  But I don't want to marry you—not anymore.  You messed up.  I don't want a man that'll cheat on me.  I want someone who cherishes me," I explain. 
I rise from the table and say goodbye to my friends. 
"Don't follow me, Four, or I'll call Eric and he'll have security deal with you," I tell him. 
I keep walking and actually feel glad that I stood up to him. 
I go home and clean my apartment.  I do some laundry.  I get ready for work, enter the staff doors, and join the team for preparing lunch.  The soup is already cooking.  I chop some more vegetables for the next batches.  I help to assemble the wrap sandwiches.  I wash vegetables for the salads.  We begin to set out lunch and I start on washing the breakfast dishes since I've got an hour until my planned lunch at noon.  I glance at the schedule for dinner and breakfast tomorrow.  We're making pot pies and shepherds pies for dinner along with rolls and steamed vegetables.  There will be two options of custard and two varieties of cheesecakes.  Breakfast will be two casseroles and we prep those the night before.  I guess I'm working late.  I'll also have to be in early to get those in the oven.  I finish washing the dishes and help replenish the lunch.  We start up two more industrial sized soups that'll be ready in an hour for the continued influx of people—one is chicken noodle, the other beef vegetable.  I look at the time to see I should be taking my break about now.  I feel a buzz to my phone and look up to see Eric waving at me.  I smile and wave back.  I answer and tell him I'll be right out.  I wash my hands and hang up my apron.  I step out the door and he's waiting for me. 
"Hi," he grins. 
"Hi," I smile. 
We go through the line together.  I grab the roast beef sandwich.  He gets one of each—the other two being turkey and bacon along with ham and Swiss.  I choose the chicken soup and he gets the beef.  We grab drinks and step out of line. 
"I have to sit with them but I'll eat quickly and come join you," he tells me.  "I wanted to talk with you."
"Alright," I nod. 
I feel him rub my back and kiss the top of my head again.  I smile at him as he leaves. 
"Are you two dating now?" Four asks me. 
"How are things with Mellissa?" I question walking away and not caring to listen if he answers. 
"That's not fair," he insists following me to the table. 
"Four," I say turning to him.  "What do you want from me?"
He looks a bit lost. 
"Why do you keep following me around and hounding me with questions?  Get to the point.  What do you want?" I demand. 
"I want you back," he says. 
"I want you to understand that that will never happen again.  I don't trust you.  Even if you were to end things with her, I will never go back to you.  I want you to leave me alone," I tell him. 
"What about Eric, huh?" Four questions. 
"What about him?" I ask confused. 
"What happens when he finds out about you?" he whispers.  "I think his nice guy routine will change."
"I guess that's no longer your problem," I say turning away and sitting beside Lynn.  "Hey," I say to her. 
"Still following you around?" she motions to Four. 
"Like a lost puppy," I grin. 
"He's always been kind of obsessive," she replies. 
"Fabulous," I mumble before starting on my sandwich. 
Christina and Will join us.  We all talk and eat.  I'm about halfway finished when Eric joins us.  I smile happily that he's here but Four's words ring in the back of my mind. 
"Is everything alright?" he asks me concerned. 
"Yeah," I reply.  "What did you want to talk about?"
"I just missed you," he whispers. 
I can't help the smile on my face at hearing that. 
"What did Four want?" he asks me. 
"He wants me back and he keeps asking about you," I shrug. 
His smile drops.  "What'd you say?"
"That I'd never take him back and that you're none of his business," I explain. 
He nods in understanding. 
"Do you think you'll be off early?" he questions. 
I shake my head.  "Probably late for what we're making," I tell him. 
He frowns at that. 
"How many hours do you have between shifts?" he inquires. 
"Tonight?  Probably close to six," I admit. 
"That's terrible," he replies. 
"Yeah.  That's definitely the downside to this job," I divulge. 
"Why'd you pick it anyway?" he asks. 
"I don't know.  I like to cook.  It's nice learning how to prepare Dauntless food," I say. 
He nods again.
"I should probably get back," I tell him.
"Alright," he frowns.
"See you later," I say.
He hugs me and kisses my cheek. "Later, Stiff," he whispers.
I smile at him as I leave. I return to work and continue to help with lunch. We begin preparing for dinner and making the parts for the two main dishes. Once we pull lunch, we begin to assemble the pot pies and shepherds pies. I stick the first batches into the oven and work on assembling more. I mix the dough for the rolls, letting it rise.  When it's time, I stick the rolls in the oven.  I begin on the custards—one vanilla and one chocolate.  I cook those and pour them into prepared dishes to set.  I make the cheesecakes and do the same.  I begin on the whipped cream while someone else makes the lemon and cherry toppings for the cheesecakes.  I set the batch aside for closer to dinner.  Several of the savory pies are out of the oven along with the dinner rolls.  I begin to assemble more and stick them in the oven.  I work on the steamed vegetables and as soon as they're done, we begin to put dinner out.  I see Eric waving for me across from the counter.  I wave back, making sure to set a timer for pulling everything out and let someone know to make another batch of the pies.   
I join Eric for dinner and he kisses my cheek upon my arrival. 
"You smell good," he whispers. 
I chuckle at that. 
We each get our meal and I realize his portions. 
"You like my cooking?" I tease. 
"You know, ever since you've been back there, the food has been better," he smirks.  "No lumps in the custard."
I chuckle at that and grab the cherry cheesecake. 
"Do you like cherries?" he asks me. 
"I do," I nod. 
"I like the lemon but the custard is good, too.  I'm always stuck on which one I want," he tells me. 
I grin at that.  "How do you choose then?" I inquire. 
"I rotate each time," he shrugs. 
We leave the line and I see him waver. 
"What's wrong?" I question. 
"I've got to go up there," he tells me.  "But I'd rather sit with you."
I smile, "Thanks for the compliment."
"Maybe I'll come talk to you afterward," he says kissing the top of my head.  "You smell like dessert."
I giggle at that as he walks away.  I turn to my table to see Four glaring at me.  I walk straight past him ignoring his stare.  I sit with my friends. 
"Hey," I say to everyone. 
"Dinner is good," Uriah says stuffing his face.  "What do you put in these mashed potatoes?"
"Sour cream," I tell him.  It's my little addition. 
"What about the meat?" Will asks. 
"That mix I add steak sauce," I tell him about the base to the shepherds pie. 
"Man, if I wasn't already taken," Zeke says rubbing his belly from down the table near Four.  Shauna slaps him in the back of the head playfully laughing.  She looks down at me and waves.  I wave back. 
"What's for dinner tomorrow?" Christina asks. 
"Roasted chicken.  I'll be prepping it but I'm off for dinner.  We'll have macaroni and cheese and roasted vegetables," I say. 
"What dessert?" Uriah says intrigued. 
"Apple pies and pear crumble," I tell them. 
"Man, I might have to get two desserts," he replies grinning. 
I smile in thanks. 
"You do make the best dinners," Christina whispers.  "And desserts."
"Thank you," I reply. 
They have actually asked me if I'd work only night shifts because of my skills with dinners and desserts.  After I learned how to make lemon meringue and key lime pies this summer, they wanted me to work the other shifts.  I just didn't want to be off only in the mornings.  That's rough and I'm not much of a night owl.  I'm definitely a morning person from a lifetime of rising early. 
"Hi," Eric says sitting beside me. 
"Hi," I say to him. 
"How was your dinner?" I ask. 
"Good," he replies.  "I feel like it gets better every time.  That shepherds pie was incredible but the pot pit was as good as last time."
I smile at him. 
"Yeah, those mashed potatoes," Uriah says rubbing his stomach. 
I chuckle at the Pedrads. 
We all talk a bit.  Eric sits a little closer to me and I smile at him.  I eat my dessert slowly but I eventually have to return.  I wave to everyone as I leave. 
I make sure the rest of the food for the dinner rush is in the process of cooking before I begin prep on breakfast.  I chop up onions and put them in a pan before I add the ground sausage to brown for the egg casserole.  I make several batches putting them in oiled pans for baking in the morning.  I chop up more vegetables and add meat to others.  I cut up leftover breads for the casseroles and add those.  I scramble the eggs in a large mixer and begin pouring them into the pans. I cover them and set them into the refrigerator overnight on several racks.
I begin on the french toast bake, dicing the bread and toasting it in the hot oven. I have to watch it carefully or it'll burn. Once it's ready, I take it out and dump it into several greased pans. I mix the eggs, cinnamon, milk, and sugar mixture in the mixer and distribute it when it's done. I put them in the fridge when I'm done and notice I'm the only one in the kitchen. I look around and see two people out the back door smoking and talking. The rest of the staff is missing.
Linda, the dinner manager, comes out of the freezer with the sausage for breakfast. She puts it into the refrigerator. It should be thawed by morning.
"Where's everyone else?" I ask.
"They said they finished and I let them leave early," she shrugs.
"I think I'm finished," I tell her.
"Thanks for all your hard work, Tris," she tells me.
I wave and leave for the night. I'm a little confused how there was so much I had to do and others left early. The two people were standing around smoking. Breaks are over after dinner and we work until everyone is done. I don't understand why I'm here until almost midnight and everyone else is nowhere in sight. I feel like I'm almost the only one working. I shake that thought out of my head and go home. I go straight to bed, setting my alarm. These night and morning shifts are rough. I don't know how anyone else can stand them. I lay down and instantly fall asleep.
My alarm rings and I feel like I just laid down. I stretch and climb out of bed getting ready for work. I arrive down to the cafeteria and I'm the first in. I decide to keep an eye out on everyone else. Last night was just too weird and I'm wondering what's going on. I turn on the lights and the ovens. I prep the biscuits mixing the dough. When the ovens are up to temperature, I put several of each casserole in. I'm still the only one here. I look around and it's been thirty minutes.
I huff in frustration and begin on the coffee. About an hour and a half after I'm here, a few people stroll in. Breakfast should be out by now but I'm doing everything on my own. Even the manager just showed up. I frown and let them figure out what to do since I'm putting the already cooked casseroles out. I set some biscuits out and begin on the gravy. I see Kay cooking sausage and having someone else work on the fruit cups. As I whisk the gravy, I look over my shoulder to see one of the people on their smoke break last night fills the drink station and then leans up against the counter afterward picking at their cuticles. Most people are doing something but there are a few that stand around.
"Here's some ground sausage for that," Kay says passing me a large bowl.
"Thanks," I smile.
She's a hard worker but perhaps not as assertive as the rest of the team. I see her take a tray of sausage out and several soldiers returning from the night shift were waiting for it. They thank her. When they pass, I see Eric waving at me. I wave back and motion for a minute. I put the gravy in several pans and keep it warm while I put a tray out. I look around and I'd ask someone to take the pans out of the oven in ten minutes but nobody is in sight. Kay walks out of the refrigerator with more sausage. I tell her and she says she'll handle it. I take my apron off and notice everyone else outside either smoking out the back door or standing around doing nothing. I frown at that.
"You coming?" Eric asks me.
"Yeah," I say glancing at the schedule. I see they were all supposed to be in with me this morning and everyone was scheduled to stay late and only a few of us did.
I step out and join Eric. He hugs me and kisses my cheek.
"You must be tired," he says.
"A little," I nod. I'm definitely having some coffee to get through the day.
We get breakfast together in the line and he decides to sit with me this morning since the cafeteria is sparse this early.
"Can I ask you a question?" I inquire.
"Shoot," he smirks.
"What rank were most of the cafeteria staff?" I inquire.
"Managers are probably middle or they've been there long enough for promotion. The rest are lower," he explains.
"How low?" I ask.
"Like they'd either get janitorial positions, cafeteria, or low level soldiers," he tells me softly.
"So... not hard workers," I assume.
"Either that or not the strongest or bravest," he admits.
I nod in understanding. They're close to the bottom in rank from each year in initiation.
"That makes sense," I nod.
"What does?" he questions.
I explain what I've just observed.
He sighs.
"Yeah, you've definitely stepped up the quality of meals here. The managers can complain or discipline the staff... but so many strikes and they're out," he tells me honestly.
"Yikes," I frown.
"Before you came, soldiers returning from shift changes had to wait around to eat before going home. We can discipline the staff but there might be less of them back there," he shrugs.
I keep my comment to myself about how I bet Molly would've done anything to stay. I meet his eyes and he's watching me. I force a smile.
"Breakfast is really good... but it sounds like you almost singlehandedly made it," he tells me.
"Yeah," I say quietly.
"Maybe you should be in leadership. You're definitely capable. I'd call the vast majority of your staff here lazy. I think you've been so busy that you never noticed before," he tells me.
I nod in understanding.
"Your schedule would be better," he jokes nudging me.
"It would. I detest days like last night and this morning. I feel like I lay down and immediately my alarm is going off. I'm so afraid I'll oversleep," I admit.
"Give tomorrow a chance," he whispers caressing my cheek.
I smile at him. "I will," I nod.
We talk a little bit more and I definitely prefer having my meals with him. I really enjoy his company. I say goodbye and he holds onto me just a bit longer than usual. He kisses my cheek again and tells me he'll see me for lunch. I wave to him as I step into the kitchen.