Sixty-Five-Have I Changed That Much? 19.5

Eric

The next day, Tris is leaving breakfast just as I'm arriving.
"Oh, hey. I woke up everyone already. The ones who refused probably got a migraine from Four," she chuckles. "I'll meet you in the training room after your jog."
"Alright, bye," I say but she's already down the hall. She waves to me and she's gone. I sigh. I already miss her.
I get my breakfast and see several initiates trickling in as I'm seated at the leadership table. They look excited about today. I'm hopeful that this'll be a good year.
I receive a text and pull out my phone checking it. I open it to see a message from Jeanine.

'Remember to keep your eyes out for them.'

I know it was a programed reminder she set for me. She's never awake this early.  I know to look for them.  I send her a reply. 

'They're not noticeable until the second stage but I'll be on the lookout.'

I finish my breakfast and head to the training room. 
"Ten minutes," I remind the initiates at their tables. 
Several look up and finish their food quickly.  I see some still talking and have full plates.  I don't say a word.  I normally wouldn't and she agrees—they need to find out the hard way that if they don't listen, they get penalized.  The ones that follow orders get rewarded.  The children already know this.  She explained it to me.  She told them to listen and they should obey—the same with any soldier or member for that matter. 
I step out the cafeteria doors. 
"Eric?" Four says running after me. 
"Hmm?" I respond. 
"Don't you want to tell them to come with us?" he questions. 
"Nope," I reply.  "I don't want you to either.  I'll explain the rules after the run."
"Alright," he says confused. 
He follows me, though.  We arrive to the training room and wait.  Lauren is already present. 
"I thought you said Tris would be training with us," Four mentions. 
"This week she has an early morning and late afternoon obligation.  After that, she'll be with us," I explain. 
I watch as close to half the initiates arrive at once.  A few more enter just after. 
"Lauren?" I question. 
"Yes?" she replies. 
"I want you to stay here for the run.  I want you to have any stragglers run on the inside track.  I will also give that as an option to those who don't feel like they can keep up with us.  Keep track of the ones who arrive late.  Every minute, they lose ten points.  Two minutes, twenty... and so on.  The ones who choose to stay will not be docked points.  Encourage them to keep going, even if it's walking for some until our return.  If they only walk, they're docked ten points.  I want to see them all running and improving each day," I explain.  I hand her a clipboard with all the names and the first day's chart printout.
"I can do that," she nods. 
"What about me?" Four asks. 
"You want to bring up the rear?" I ask handing him a wrist device matching mine.  It's got the same information as the printout, just easier to carry. 
He nods and puts it on. 
"I don't know all of their names yet," he points out. 
"Neither do I.  I'm doing roll call," I tell him.  "They're automatically docked if they're not in the door when I start."
"Alright," he guffaws.  "I like this," he mentions. 
"Tris's idea," I mumble as I set up my device. 
"It's time.  Lauren, keep track of the stragglers."
She nods.  I begin calling names.  I put those who raise their hands down for plus ten.  Some enter and Lauren has them step aside.  I call a name and nobody answers.  I nod to Lauren and she docks them.  I call a few more and some are hers.  Once we go through everyone on the list and I know who's present, Lauren nods to me.  She knows what to do. 
"Okay.  Let's go for a run.  Everyone stay together.  Those of you who feel you can't keep up—I'm thinking Abnegation and maybe a few others—you may run on the track with Lauren.  You will not be docked points as long as you attempt to run.  Those who only walk will lose points.  We want to see improvement.  The goal is to join us and be on time the next time we run tomorrow," I say. 
Several walk in the doors.  Lauren has those with her start, a few from my group join her.  She motions for the late arrivals to see her. 
"Okay, those who are ready, let's run," I say leading them outside. 
I take the front, Four the back.  The Dauntless-born were mostly on time.  I'm surprised the last to arrive were Dauntless-born, though.  Although, there are still more transfers not even there yet.  They'll be negative points soon.  That's a shame.  They'll have to work harder, or if they don't, they'll be the ones who are made Factionless.  Tris agrees that they need to try and excel.  I was actually surprised that she agreed with me. 
I lead them on the run.  It's actually more of a light jog for me, though.  On a straight stretch, I jog backwards.  The Dauntless-born are doing well.  Some of the transfers are keeping up but some are hanging back.  Four is within sight which is good. 
I turn around and maintain my current pace.  We finish and I enter the training room. I see my favorite girl standing with Lauren.  I smirk as I approach her. 
"Eric," she smiles. 
She hands me a bottle of water and passes the rest out to the initiates as we take a break. Four approaches her and she hands him one as well.  His hand lingers on hers longer and she moves it.  He whispers something to her and she frowns stepping away. 
I have the trainers stand with me in front of everyone as they line up and listen. I introduce Tris as one of their trainers. Then, I explain the rules fully. I tell them some have lost points and some have gained. I explain that if they don't try their hardest, some may be made Factionless. I hear gasps from the transfers.
"We are expecting you to put your best effort in," Tris adds. "We honestly are not setting a line because we want you to succeed. We don't want to turn any of you away, but we don't expect members to be lazy. You will try, you will work hard and excel, or you will not be Dauntless. We will evaluate you all frequently. There are many opportunities to gain points and many to lose them."
I see determination on their faces. I glance at Tris because it reminds me of my number one last year. I knew she was small, but that set to her jaw told me she was one of us. And she is an exceptional Dauntless now—regardless of her profession.
We separate them—Dauntless-born with Lauren and transfers with us. She takes them to the other side of the room. We work on fighting—Four and I demonstrating the proper moves. We have them all line up at the bags and observe their progress—correcting as necessary. I help Ray—the Stiff—and move on. I glance at Tris and she has the Stiff girl—Olivia—step aside as she demonstrates in slow motion. She shows where to keep tension without touching her. She does a punch in real time and her bag moves substantially. She has Olivia try and she does well for a girl her size.
We continue on until lunch. I walk with Tris to the exit.
"You're doing well," I tell her.
"Thanks. I think they are, too," she says glancing at me.
Four joins us and talks with her a bit. I put my arm around her waist in comfort. She smiles at me appreciatively. She makes small talk with him but her answers are abrupt. He notices the placement of my hand and he appears jealous.
"What's going on between you two?" he asks her flatly.
"We're friends," she shrugs.
He doesn't say anything else but he appears irritated.
I go through the line with her in the cafeteria and we part at her table. She sits with her friends and she's surrounded. Four sits with Zeke and Shauna. I join leadership and give them an update on the transfers. They seem optimistic.
"We've got a decent amount of employers looking for members," Jude comments beside me.
"Hopefully we'll have enough members in a month to fill all of those," I nod.
"How's Tris doing?" he asks.
"Good," I nod. "The initiates like her and respect her. It's like she has this ability to relate easily to them."
"That's good," he agrees. "You know I'm still looking to retire in the near future," he points out and I frown. I know Max wants Four but I honestly can't stand him... and he's not interested. "What do you think about Tris?" he asks.
"What do you mean?" I question.
"Four's apathetic. What about her?" he questions.
"I don't know. I'll have to ask," I reply looking at her. She's laughing with her friends. I can't help but stare at how beautiful she is.