Eighty-Beyond Boarders 23.3

Eric

I see that monstrosity in the air above us but I'm more concerned about the skyscraper that's losing parts.  I observe as it splits in half and starts falling in two directions—one headed right for us.  I signal the crew to stay where they are and avoid it as I run for Tris, screaming to get her attention over the noise.  I pick her up and run us through past the collapsing structure.  As it nears, I make a running jump for it with her in my arms.  The building collapses causing what feels like an earthquake around us with a puff of dust and debris flying everywhere in it's wake. 
I cover Tris as best as I can with my body.  I pull my shirt up to filter the dirt for my breath.  I do the same for her.  She's not moving beneath me but I can't see anything.  I feel for her pulse and she's fine—just unconscious.  I rise up and carry her with me trying to run out of this cloud of dust and debris. 
It seems like I've carried her for at least five blocks when we arrive at a dead end.  I feel along the buildings with one hand attempting to find our way out of here. I make a turn and another trying to right our way out of this maze-like area.  The air slowly starts to clear and I can finally see... but I realize... I'm completely lost.  I got turned around so many times back there.  There's nothing I can do about it now.  We're separated. 
I do what I can by taking a look at Tris.  I see she hit her head when we fell.  There's a bump on her temple and a cut.  I waste a little water washing it for her and my hands.  I get a bandage out and place it on her wound.  I run my fingers through my hair at a loss.  I honestly don't know what to do now.  I can't go back there and she's unconscious.  I'll have to take care of her first.  I'm nervous about leaving her here to scout with wild animals roaming the streets.  I carry her with me and search for a decent building that looks residential. 
I find a house on a corner that appears to suit our needs.  I climb the cement stairs and step in.  It's got insanely high ceilings, what looks to be a wood burning fireplace, bookshelves filled with volumes.  I see two chairs and a sofa.  I lay her down on the sofa and examine her.  She seems alright.  I'm just concerned at how hard she hit her head.  I sigh and rise up examining what I have in my surroundings.  I remove my pack and decide to carefully remove hers but I support her head while I do so before resting her back on the soft dusty cushions.  I see a kitchen and I step in examining what's in there.  There are cupboards with some ancient dried food—noodles, rice, flour but I'm sure the latter is bad.  I find some glass bottles and wonder if their contents would last that long without spoiling.  They haven't exploded, so that's surprising. 
I look further and find a staircase leading to a basement pantry.  I turn on my flashlight and climb down the stairs.  I find sealed glass jars of clear liquid with tons of vacuum sealed bags and jars of dried foods.  I stare in awe and wonder if this stuff is still edible.  I have no idea.  I open one of the clear jars and hear the familiar suck of air as I remove the lid.  It was canned clearly.  I look at it and smell it.  I smell nothing.  I stick my finger in it and taste... nothing.  It's water... and it's clean.  This whole room is filled with it and food. 
I laugh in disbelief.  Someone canned water.  I've heard it's possible to last indefinitely.  I suppose it does.  That's insane.  I guess I chose the right house.  I put the cap back on and grab a miscellaneous jar of something green and a bag.  I climb upstairs and set them in the kitchen.  I walk back over to Tris and she's still unconscious.  I caress her cheek and go upstairs to find somewhere more comfortable than that sofa for her.  I discover a large master bedroom and a bathroom.  That's all.  I shake some of the dust off the bed and pull the sheets back.  I go downstairs and bring her up.  I lay her down and I honestly don't know what to do next.  I think the trucks were clear of the building but once it started falling, I'm not entirely sure.  I can't leave her to search for them.  They know the order of command.  If something were to happen to us, they continue on their mission.  Marco, Lucas, then Olive would be in charge.  They should be fine. 
I look back at Tris and hope she's alright.  I push her hair out of her face.  I close my eyes and sigh.  I've been craving her lately—more so than usual. I'm not accustomed to being this close with her.  I've wanted her for so long.  She came to me in the night and I couldn't believe where she ended up... a place I've always wanted her.  But she left.  She doesn't want me.  I shake my head and get up.  I'm going to see what else this place has.