Fifty-Two-The Bakery 16.3

Eric

I straighten my tie before I reach out and knock on her door.  She's got a penthouse apartment like mine except hers is a few levels lower since the building isn't as tall.  This building is one of the smaller, newer constructions of the last few decades.  I've heard it's quieter over here.  Mine is older—from before the start of our society. 
I knock again and the click of the lock is audible.  I wait in anticipation as she opens the door.  In my first glimpse, I see that she looks incredible.  She's wearing a sleeveless black dress that comes just past her knees with a sash tied around the waist in a bow.  The skirt is full with ruffles underneath.  The collar is wide but modest.  I can just see her raven tattoos peeking out of the trim. 
"Sorry," she apologizes pushing a curl behind her ear.  "Christina was asking me where I was going and well... it's impossible to keep anything from a former Candor," she laughs lightly.  "She insisted on helping."
"You look beautiful," I tell her. 
She giggles in disbelief repeating the motion with her hair again.  "Thank you," she says softly.  "You look amazing, too.  I think I chose right," she says motioning to her dress. 
I smile at her and pull the bouquet of two dozen deep red roses out from behind my back handing them to her.  "These are for you," I tell her. 
She laughs in surprise and takes them in her arms.  She holds them to her chest and meets my eyes once more.  "Thank you, Eric," she responds appreciatively. 
I smirk in reply. 
I wait while she puts them into a vase with water.  I see Christina sneakily peering at us from down the hall. 
"Come on," Tris says reaching for my hand. 
I grin at her enthusiasm.  I escort her to the nicest restaurant in Dauntless.  She surprisingly orders fish. 
"What?  I've never had it before," she defends. 
I smile at her and order a steak.  We take pleasure in our meal together, enjoying each other's company.  As we talk, I discover how we have so much in common.  I see some definite differences, though, that I'll have to remedy.  She hasn't experienced what I have and I'm determined to give her everything. 
She thanks me for the meal as we go to leave. 
"Anytime," I tell her lacing our fingers together. 
"I've heard salmon is good with bagels.  I'm thinking I ought to add that to the menu," she says. 
"I'm available to be your taste tester," I offer. 
"Alright," she smiles at me. 
"Where to?" I ask. 
"Oh?" she laughs lightly.  "You don't have this evening all planned out?"
"I thought I'd give you some options," I grin. 
She looks touched.  "Shoot," she responds. 
"We could go for a walk, look at the stars, or I could take you out dancing," I offer. 
"Yes," she nods. 
"All of them?" I chuckle. 
"We could do two in one," she points out. 
"We could," I agree nodding.  "Walk first?" I inquire. 
"Perfect," she grins.  We exit the compound and walk toward a more residential area with greenery.  The sun is just setting and something occurs to me. 
"Do you work tomorrow?" I inquire. 
"I do," she nods.  "At four in the morning."
I frown in reply. 
"Eh, it comes with the territory," she shrugs. 
"So, we'll have to live for your breaks," I say softly caressing her cheek with my other hand.  Her eyes meet mine again and I honestly think she's starting to feel for me what I feel for her.  "What time do I need to get you home?" I question. 
"Maybe two hours," she suggests. 
"Really?" I question. 
"I'm a six hour rest kind of girl," she shrugs. 
"I envy you," I reply.  She chuckles in response. 
"How long?" she asks curiously. 
"I can't function without nine solid hours of uninterrupted sleep," I admit. 
"I do like laying in bed," she divulges. 
"Maybe you and Misty should rotate your schedules so you both get a weekend day off, like Thursday and Friday or Sunday and Monday," I recommend. 
"That might work," she nods.  "Maybe I could get a whole day with you," she grins. 
"Who says I want a day with you?" I ask her teasingly. 
"I do," she says confidently. 
She releases my hand and sits on a nearby park bench.  I join her side. 
"You're absolutely right," I confide putting my arm around the back of the bench and incline toward her slightly.  "I can't go a day without seeing you," I admit softly. 
"I knew it," she whispers leaning forward.  She pecks my lips.  I put my arm around her fully and pull her closer.  I deepen the kiss.  My heart is racing as she wraps her arms around my shoulders. 
She sighs shakily as we part. She pecks my lips again. "Would it be crazy if I said I think I'm falling in love with you?" she whispers.
"No," I reply shaking my head. "I know I am," I confide meeting her eyes.  I lean forward and give her a stronger, more passionate kiss. She whimpers slightly melting into my arms. I slow my assault and can't help but peck her lips several times more.
"So... dancing?" I offer kissing her cheek.
"Which dances do you know?" she questions intrigued.
"All of them," I smirk. "Which ones do you know?"
"I've learned a few swing dances," she grins.
"I knew it," I say. She asks how. "I saw you coming back from Erudite and humming a song my teacher used for swing," I elaborate.
"Are you stalking me?" she jokes.
"No.  I keep my distance," I tell her. "But I'd like to be closer," I admit meeting her eyes with mine once more.  She stares back into mine searching.
"So would I," she agrees in a delicate whisper.
"Will you be my girl?" I ask gently.
"I thought I already was," she grins. "But yes... officially, I'm yours. You can scare the riffraff away like Aries and Peter Hayes."
"Anyone else?" I inquire pecking her lips.
She meets my eyes. "Four," she admits.
"I've got it," I tell her.
"Thank you," she says softly.
"Anything for my girl," I reply. "How about that dance?"
"Alright. I've never had a skilled partner before," she grins.

*****

The next morning, I arrive at the bakery for breakfast. I see Tris behind the counter. There are only a few people in line. I stand in back and admire her as she helps her customers. I almost thought last night was a dream. If it weren't for my suit set aside to be dry cleaned, I would've believed it was.
She places the last tray aside for the cashier when she sees me. She gasps in disbelief and steps out from behind the counter. She rushes to me and jumps in my arms. I kiss her passionately in front of her staff, the customers, and apparently the rest of Dauntless as they trickle in the bakery cheering us on. She pecks my lips once more.
"How about breakfast?" she asks me.
"From you? Always," I grin.
"Why don't I take my break early and join you?" she suggests.
"That sounds perfect," I tell her smiling.
She makes us each breakfast. I told her yesterday that I like variety and for her to always surprise me. She gives me what she calls an English breakfast with fried eggs, grilled tomatoes and other vegetables, mushrooms, a variety of meats, sliced avocado, toast, and oddly baked beans. She makes a half portion for herself. She pours two cups of coffee—one has flowers, the other hearts. I'm not charged which does actually surprise me.
"Come on," she says and has me carry our tray.
"Whatever you say, sweetheart," I grin doing as she asks.
We sit down together, her by my side. We eat together and it's incredible. "You always surprise me," I tell her.
"Eh, I saw this in a book except it had blood sausage. I'm not even considering putting that on the menu," she divulges.
"Yeah, I'm sure this is better," I nod grinning.
We finish our meal and she climbs onto my lap. We sit together sipping our coffee.  She tells me the heart one is mine—which is really sweet. She kisses me gently and I smile at that.
I hear one of the girls on the staff clear their throat.
"He's here," she says.
"Who?" I ask.
She sighs, "Four."
I look over my shoulder seeing him standing in front of the counter.
"Where is she? This isn't her scheduled break," he demands.
One of the waitresses looks over to us. I glance at Tris to see her nodding to the girl. I look back to Four staring me down. He strides over to us.
"This is my business," Tris says calmly. "You will not yell and make my customers uncomfortable."
Four directs his gaze at me. He looks livid.
"Four," I nod.
"This is more than just flirting with the customers," Four tells her gritting his teeth.
"I don't flirt with the customers," she tells him. "I'm nice to them. I can't help it if they flirt with me."
Four goes to protest.
"Wait... I take that back. I flirted with Eric, but he never came here until well after we broke up," she amends.
He appears enraged.
"You call this flirting?" he questions in disgust.
"No. I call this sitting on my boyfriend's lap. I call this breakfast," she replies calmly.
"What?" he questions harshly raising his voice.
"Sit down, Four. You're making a scene," I insist.
He doesn't move.
"That was not a request. That was an order," I tell him firmly staring him down.
He grumbles angrily sitting in the seat across from us.
"What do you want, Four?" Tris asks him.
"I was going to apologize and ask for another chance but it looks like you've already moved on," he says indignantly unable to even look at us.
"You're in here every day complaining about me. Even when we haven't been together, you're still being overly critical about everything I do. My parents never hovered over me or criticized me the way you do. Why would I want to be under your control again?" she asks him. "I want to be happy, not deprecated."
"Oh, you're happy now?" he asks her.
"I'd say the last day has been the best of my life," she admits.
I can't help but kiss her at that.
Four growls. I chuckle in response.
"Are we about done here, Four?" I question.
"I don't like seeing you with my girl," he tells me flatly.
"Get used to it. She's my girl now," I reply to him.
"Give it two weeks. She'll be moving on to the next guy," he grumbles rising from the table.
"Nope. I plan on putting a ring on it," I tell him staring at Tris.
She blinks in surprise and then laughs smiling. She kisses me and I think Four leaves us.
"You already know, huh?" she questions me. 
"You marry a leader and it's for life," I tell her seriously. 
"I think I could live with that," she grins kissing me again.