Sixty-Six-Have I Changed That Much? 19.6

Eric

I see her at lunch and she waves to me.  I wave back.  I know she said I didn't need to bring anything but my parents ingrained in me to always be a gracious guest and bring a gift.  I'd bring wine but I'm not sure if they're drinkers or even what they're serving to pair it with.  I decide to go to a bakery on the way.  I get a box of lemon tarts.  I knock on her door and she answers. 
"Hi," she smiles. 
"Hey," I smirk.  "I brought these for you."
She takes the box and thanks me.  Will is already here. 
"You can have a seat. We're just prepping dinner," she tells me.
I see Christina in an apron chopping vegetables. Tris opens the box and shows her what I brought.
"Eric, you can come back anytime," she grins.
I chuckle. I had never realized how funny Christina was.
"How's everything?" Will asks me.
"I can't complain," I smirk. "You?"
"The same," he grins. "How's this group of initiates? It's bigger than last year from what I heard."
I explain that it's a large group and they're doing well thanks to Tris's assistance. We chat a bit more and Christina comes over and joins us. I glance over to Tris.
"Feel free to see what she's up to," Christina encourages me.
I look back at her and she's grinning at me and serious.  I rise and walk over to the kitchen.  I lean against the counter as she's wrapping twine around a pork roast, I think.  "Why the string?" I inquire. 
She smiles at me.  "It helps it to cook more evenly if it's tied together firmly," she explains. 
I nod and watch her.  She places it in a roasting pan and seasons it with olive oil and herbs.  She rubs the seasoning in and washes her hands before putting the same on the cut vegetables and tossing them with a spatula.  She places them into the oven and sets a timer, then removing her apron. 
"All done for now," she tells me. 
We join her friends in the living room and chat a bit.  More of their friends show up—Uriah and Marlene, Lynn, and even Dana—the head nurse.  We all talk.  I find their games amusing, their jokes hilarious.  I feel like I'm constantly smiling.  Tris is as happy as ever and I'm enjoying this experience. 
When dinner is served, I sit at the table beside her.  She grasps my hand and I intertwine our fingers.  She smiles and me and bows her head praying over the meal.  It's nice actually—not at all what I expected.  She releases my hand and rises to assist Christina with serving everyone.  They slice the roast and we pass around the side dishes.  There's a salad, too.  The food is outstanding and has been smelling incredible for the last hour or so.  I enjoy the meal and the time with them... but mostly her
The dessert is passed around after the meal and everyone stays here for a short time.  Most leave early, though.  Christina and Will go back to his place and I'm left alone with Tris. 
"Do you want help with the dishes?" I offer. 
"We have a dishwasher," she tells me. 
"Those are nice," I reply.  Mine doesn't have that. 
I help her load it up and we sit in the living room together as it runs.  We talk and it's nice.  I ask about Four again and she tells me things just didn't work out between them. 
"What was the problem?" I ask putting my arm around the sofa back behind her. 
She sighs.  "He has moments when he's not the nicest," she starts with a shrug.  "We were always arguing.  I didn't like that.  He's not very kind at times.  He can be harsh with his responses to me.  He was overly critical.  I started going to church again. When I became a member, I offered for him to join me.  He believes in God... but he's not interested in practicing.  I didn't care for that.  It's important to me, though.  I feel like practicing helps me to be the person God wants me to be."
"What do you mean by practicing?" I inquire. 
"Go to church regularly.  I read my Bible daily, pray continually.  I do acts of service to honor God.  I show lovingkindness to everyone.  I try to be more like God," she explains. 
"What exactly do you believe?" I ask. 
And she explains her religion to me.  It actually doesn't sound bad at all.  It's sort of nice—different than I was expecting. 
I spend a little more time with her before it gets late.  Christina returns home and goes to bed wishing me goodnight.  Tris walks me to the door. 
"I'll see you around," she smiles at me. 
I hug her and she seems surprised at first but she hugs me back. 
"See ya, Stiff," I whisper.  I hold her a little longer before letting go.  I sigh heavily on the way back home.  Yeah, I'm in love with her and she just wants to be friends...