Thirty-One-I'm Sorry 7.7

Tris

Eric and I walk together through the Pit toward the cafeteria.  We get in the line and he puts several things on my plate for me.  I think this is the first day in a long time that I've eaten so well.  I feel the best I have in a while but I also know my stomach has shrunk and it will take some time to return to where it ought to be. 
"Do you want dessert?" he asks. 
"I don't think I'll have enough room," I insist. 
"If you get the chocolate, Max will finish whatever you don't eat," he tells me jokingly but he slides it onto my tray.  I smile at him and grab a glass of milk with it.  We sit together at the table and talk more.  I get to know Max and Jude better.  I'm kind of sad hearing him talk about retirement.  Four told me once.  I never wanted to hear about it again.  I see him staring at me and I kind of feel bad for not telling him what's going on.  Will and Christina are glancing up here, too.  I wave to them bashfully.  They wave back and smile. 
I return my focus to my food and eat as much as I can.  I pass my entire dessert to Max who gratefully accepts it. 
"That was for you," Eric frowns. 
"I can't eat anymore," I admit. 
He nods.  I think he understands.  I feel like... I am starting to see him for who he really is.  I've listened to far too much gossip... and I should know better.  From this moment forward, I will see him for who he is, not what everyone else thinks.  I've got a front row seat to get the best understanding.  I see him talking and joking with the rest of the leaders.  They seem to be a close-knit group of friends.  I smile happily that I get to be a part of this and hopefully in the future to make a difference. 
The next day, Eric takes me out for a jog.  I feel more energetic today than yesterday and we go pretty far around the faction.  I get tired while we're out and Eric offers to carry me back piggyback.  I chuckle at that but tell him I can return on my own.  He slows and keeps me company on the way.  We sit down and rest on a bench in the training room drinking some bottles of water together.  He sets his arm on the back of the bench behind me but I don't disturb him about it.  This is just how he's comfortable and it really doesn't bother me. 
We work on resistance training—push-ups, sit-ups, squats, chin-ups... etcetera.  Afterward, we spar.  He teaches me some new moves and I practice with him blocking.  Then he practices with me blocking.  We continue on until lunch. 
We return to the office and get into the same routine for the week.  Workouts in the morning and paperwork in the afternoon.  My meals are spent in the company of Eric and the other leaders.  On Saturday, we climb the rock wall in the Pit for a change of pace.  It's odd that I've lived here for three years and never done this.  I'm enjoying it, though.  Ryan joins us and they're both giving me really good pointers.  The afternoon we spend at the gun range and we practice knife throwing afterwards.  Eric walks me home after dinner and I tell him I have plans in the morning. 
"What kind of plans?" he asks. 
"The same plans I always have on Sundays," I shrug. 
"Which is?" he presses. 
"I go to church," I shrug again. 
"Oh," he says surprised.  He looks to be mulling it over.  "What time do you leave?"
"There's a service in Dauntless now.  It starts at nine," I explain. 
"So, breakfast at eight?" he questions. 
"Probably," I nod. 
"Can I join you?" he asks. 
I blink in surprise.  "For breakfast or church?" I ask hesitantly. 
"Both," he shrugs. 
"Okay," I agree. 
I'm completely shocked but I'm not complaining.  I'm actually really excited that he wants to come with me. 
"What do you wear?" he inquires. 
"Whatever you want," I tell him.  "I used to dress up.  I probably will tomorrow.  Wendy picked out some nice things for me."
"I'll walk you down at about eight?" he asks softly. 
"Alright," I nod.  "Goodnight."
He tells me the same as I step into my door.  I lean against the wall and sigh in disbelief.  Eric is not what I expected at all.  I go to bed with a smile on my face.
I wake in the morning, get cleaned up, and dress for church. I chose a full skirt and flat dress shoes from the closet and a lovely three-quarter sleeve button down dress shirt. I use the curling iron I bought just after initiation to curl my hair and go through what's left of my makeup. There's still trace amounts leftover. I've seen Christina throw away more than this but I sharpen the nubby eye pencil and line my eyes. The mascara is a little clumpy since it's old but I brush it out and it's not too bad. I use my finger to apply the minute amount of eyeshadow left in the corners of the pack and I use a cotton swab to dig out my lipstick from the bottom and apply it.
I hear a knock on my door. I tuck everything away and grab my key, point card, and phone. I hear knocking once more and I unlock the door opening it up to see Eric standing there. He's wearing a button down shirt and dress pants. He looks really nice.
"Good morning," he says to me.
"Good morning," I reply.
"Are you ready?" he inquires.
"Yeah. Let's go," I say.
I close my door and lock up.
"You look beautiful," Eric says softly.
"Thank you. Wendy has good taste," I tell him.
"You're welcome," he tells me placing his hand at my waist again.
We go to breakfast together. The cafeteria is slowly filling in but I know most Dauntless go out on Friday and Saturday nights with hangovers or sleeping in late in the mornings. We sit down together. I see Christina and Will enter with the stroller and I smile. I wave to them and they wave back.
"You said they had a baby?" Eric asks.
"Yeah. Her name is Luna," I tell him.
He grins at that. We eat breakfast together and I convince Eric to go over to their table since not many people are out this early on a Sunday.
I hug Christina and Will. I'm passed the baby and I get to feed her a bottle while they eat. I sit down and Eric sits beside me.
"So what's going on?" she asks.
"I'm not supposed to talk about it," I tell her.
"She can probably tell you in a week," Eric says playing with the muscle on my arm.
"Cut it out," I whisper to him.
"I'm just checking your strength. You're gaining muscle fast," he replies.
"Oh," I say softly and look down to little Luna. She looks just like a mini Christina but her skin is much lighter. She has a bow pinned in her curly hair.
"You look better. I'm glad you decided to join in on more meals," Christina says.
"Thanks," I smile.
Luna finishes her bottle and I sit her up to burp her.
"Use the cloth," Christina insists. "She's been spitting up a lot."
I toss the cloth over my shoulder and burp her. I wipe her face since some did come back up.
"Gross," Eric says.
I laugh lightly at that.
"Eh, babies spit up," I shrug. 
"You've been around a lot of babies?" he asks. 
I meet his eyes.  "My mom handles adoption for the city.  I always helped with unwanted children," I explain. 
He frowns at that.  "I didn't know that."
I look back down at Luna and she looks content.  She sighs and rests her head on my chest.  I smile down at her and let her hold onto my finger. 
"You want children, don't you?" Eric says. 
"Doesn't everyone?" I question. 
"Not everyone," he replies. 
"Don't you?" I ask meeting his eyes. 
He looks to be contemplating the question.  "Maybe if the girl I want says yes, I'd be willing," he says vaguely. 
I surrender my attention back to Luna.  She looks up at me and I make faces at her.  She smiles showing off her lack of teeth.  She giggles and sneezes. 
"It's about time," Christina says. 
I put Luna back in the stroller and we walk to the the church.  It's in the center of the Pit.  Christina pushes the stroller ahead while Will and Eric walk behind us. 
"Are you and Eric together?" she questions in a whisper. 
"No," I reply. 
"It looks like he really wants to be," she tells me softly. 
I dismiss the comment but I think he really is serious about me... and I also think the rest of the rumors are lies, too.  I don't know what I think about giving him a chance.  I'll just have to wait and see. 
We enter the church and I introduce Eric to everyone but they already know who he is, of course.  He sits with me for the service.  It's nice having him here and I keep glancing back at him. 
"Am I distracting you?" he whispers. 
"No," I respond. 
The service is typical—music, message, fellowship afterward.  My pastor speaks on the woman who put the few copper coins into the collection plate and Jesus said she gave more than the wealth of others. Out of her poverty, she gave everything she had.  In comparison, it was more.  We go to leave and I swipe my point card at the door, writing in my tithe. 
"What are you doing?" Eric asks me. 
"Church business," I mumble. 
"You're not giving everything away, are you?" he questions. 
"No," I laugh lightly and shake my head. 
We walk out together and I explain tithes to him.  I tell him it's what I give to God because he's provided the rest.  I also tell him I believe God led him to me—to get me out of the situation I was in before.  And I thank him for that.  He looks a little lost for words as he escorts me to lunch.