Five-A Life Of Significance 1.5

Eric

On Sunday night, Tris and I share a quiet dinner in each other's company.  I can't help but constantly glance into her eyes. I walk her back upstairs and we end up in my apartment again on the sofa side by side. She sits closely to me though, our legs in complete contact. I place my arms along the back of the sofa and she leans into me more.
"Can I ask you a question?" she inquires softly.
"Of course," I respond just as gently.
She asks me about Jeanine and the Divergent studies she does. I meet her eyes and admit everything I know, how she's taught me to look for them... yet I doubt their actual existence.
"Do you think they're dangerous like she says?" she questions.
"I don't know," I admit with a shrug. "It would appear she's doing all sorts of inhumane testing on Factionless and she's all wrong about Abnegation. I don't trust her and I think she's the danger to the faction system."
She smiles meeting my eyes. I see relief there. She softly admits her aptitude test results to me and I hold her closer, putting my arm around her fully. She looks into my eyes and gives me all the details of how she feels and how she's able to go through the simulations—the ability to manipulate and the awareness. "You don't think I'm a danger, do you?" she whispers breathlessly.
"No," I breathe glancing at her lips.
She's the one who leans in and kisses me. I immediately take control, though. It's soft and timid at first then more forceful, an immediate desire overtaking us both. I lick her lips and she gasps in surprise, using that moment to enter her mouth and meet her tongue with mine. She sighs at the contact. I kiss her passionately and she responds with the same intensity. When I finally break away, we're both panting. I see the radiant smile on her face, though, and I know she desires me as much as I do her.
"Be my girl?" I whisper to her as I kiss her cheek, her neck, her ear.
She wraps her arms around my shoulders and she whispers a positive affirmation, slightly indistinguishable by the noises I'm causing to escape her lips.  I back away slowly meeting her eyes once more.  She entrusted me with her deepest secret, I feel like I ought to return the sentiment. 
"Since the first moment I saw you in Dauntless, I wanted you," I admit.  I see her smile grow to disbelief and overwhelming joy.  "I'm in love with you," I tell her. 
She laughs lightly and meets my eyes with hers.  "I think I love you, too," she says softly before meeting my lips with hers. 
We make out for a good portion of the evening, then sit side by side in each other's embrace talking quietly.  We speak of our hopes and dreams—many of them involving each other.  I walk her to her apartment when she tires and kiss her goodnight at the door. 
The next morning at breakfast, I can't help but capture her lips in front of the entire faction at the leadership table.  There's cheering and stomping as the faction supports us.  I break away to see Four giving me a look that could kill.  I grin in response and kiss her again.  He storms out of the cafeteria but everyone else seems happy for us cheering and whistling. 
We spend the morning in the training room lifting weights, punching the heavy bags, and sparring.  Then all of leadership leaves to Candor for Jeanine's trial.  She thinks it's just a meeting but when she sees me and all other factions represented she calls me aside into the hallway. 
"What's this all about?" she demands. 
"I guess you'll have to see," I tell her seriously. 
"What have you done?" she questions me harshly. 
"I haven't done anything," I tell her honestly. 
A Candor man calls us both back to the meeting to get started.  Jeanine seethes and if she could breathe fire she would. 
"Should I just leave?" she questions me. 
"I wouldn't advise that," I tell her putting my arm around her and forcefully escorting her back inside. 
She's explained the meaning behind the meeting by Jack Kang and walked to the center of the room by several Dauntless guards.  A Candor member shoots her with a dose of truth serum and they interrogate her about the concentrated fear simulation serum injections on Factionless.  She divulges the extent of her studies, as she calls them—the rest of us with clear minds see if for what it is, inhumane torture.  She's asked about the extent of her studies on anyone else and she reveals that she has been torturing and executing Divergent for years. Tris reaches for my hand and I offer her comfort as we listen in to the methods Jeanine has been initiating for almost a decade. The serum wears off and she's escorted by several trusted Dauntless soldiers along with Jax's supervision to the holding cells in Candor while we all deliberate on what was just revealed. It's decided that further questioning must continue but for the sake of the reaction to the body, more can't be administered today. All other faction leadership votes to disband Jeanine from power and advise Erudite's board about the inhumane behavior she has been imposing on our society. We decide to recommend what traits to avoid in choosing the next leader of Erudite.
"If there's nothing else to discuss, we will reconvene tomorrow at the same time for another round of interrogations," Jack Kang says.
"I have one more issue that needs immediate attention," I say.
"And what's that?" Jack's second in command questions. I think his name is Wyatt.
"Jeanine is guardian over my little sister, Elizabeth. She will have no adult supervision, not that Jeanine ever gave her much attention," I explain mumbling the last bit.
"I was unaware of her guardianship of anyone," Jack responds confused.
"Jeanine was granted custody of them both when Janice and Christopher passed away," Andrew Prior says quietly. "She was next of kin."
"Who should we grant immediate custody for the time being?" Wyatt questions concerned.
"I can take Elizabeth in for now and I'd like custody of her until her Choosing," I say determined.
"But you're in a different faction," Jack protests.
"But I will also give her attention, unlike what happened when Jeanine took us and completely ignored us. I had been the one to raise Elizabeth since I was ten. Jeanine lived at her office," I admit.
Jack and Wyatt look applauded but discuss amongst themselves quietly. "Permission is granted for immediate care but Abnegation will decide what's best for future legal guardianship," Jack tells me.
"That's my mom," Tris whispers to me squeezing my hand. "Don't worry. I'll call her."
I look to her in surprise and she's smiling at me. We leave Candor and drive to Erudite—splitting up the vehicles with security. Tris and I go together while everyone else heads back. They'll wait to make the announcement to the faction until we arrive in Dauntless. It's late and Lizzy should be home by now, even if she's been working after school. I press the code in the door lock and it opens for me. I walk in to see my sister in the kitchen at the fridge choosing between two frozen dinners in the freezer.
"Eric?" she says in surprise.
She drops the meals on the counter and runs to me. I take her into my arms as she sobs. We get reacquainted—me telling her all that's going on and introducing her to Tris. I have her pack some necessities and take her home with us.
Tris loans her an outfit and we make our way down to the meeting room outside of the cafeteria. Jude announces what has happened to the faction—shock evident on everyone's faces. I have my two favorite girls in my arms. Four meets Tris's eyes when Jude mentions the issue with Jeanine and the inhumane treatment of citizens being the reason for her arrest. She gives him a hard look and I realize maybe that's why he protested being a part of leadership—the reason for him quitting and her fight with him. That's his loss, though. I'm the one to introduce my baby sister to all of Dauntless. They cheer for us—her introduction as well as justice finally being achieved.
We descend the stairs and are served the meal. Lizzy comments that it's so much better than a frozen dinner. I smile at my sister. I see her getting along with Tris and my heart melts at their encounter. I notice Lizzy wave to someone beside Shauna close in age to her and realize she already has a friend here. I make arrangements with security to take her to school tomorrow and Shauna's brother, Hector, agrees to help her back and forth on the train. Tris loans her half of her wardrobe since they're the same size and we get Lizzy settled in my spare bedroom for the night. Afterward, Tris and I sit together on my couch for a while kissing and holding each other before I walk her to her door.
The next morning I smile when I realize my sister is really here.  We get ready for the day and go down to breakfast together with Tris and the rest of leadership.  I walk her with security to the train and help her on wishing her luck for the day before jumping off. 
I accompany Tris to morning meetings about handling the situation today, then lunch afterward.  The rest of leadership has split up between the arrests and release of prisoners in Erudite and elsewhere. The police force had already just been reinstated and there are a few previous members who have higher rank assisting with direction.  There will be troops awaiting my orders from the Candor interrogation of Jeanine today.  We will be letting them know the locations and access codes for buildings and floors of those Jeanine has mistreated and finding conspirators. 
We arrive at Candor and Tris assists me in the relay and coordination of all Dauntless troops.  There is a skeleton crew on the fence today and all available personnel has been pulled to assist in the arrests and release.  In the process, we decide to lock the conspirators within the cells they held innocent citizens against their will for torture.  I honestly have a feeling that there will have to be large scale executions in the city since we don't have the capacity to imprison this many inmates.  In the midst of my musings, Jude makes mention that we have a facility, just not the food and staff for their continued care after sentencing. 
The hospital and all faction headquarters are on standby to receive patients.  Amity and Abnegation are all assisting in the transition.  Dauntless enters all facilities at once with numerous arrests and countless patients being transported for medical care. 
We work round the clock on Tuesday and it's late when Tris and I arrive for dinner. I see Lizzy still at the table with Lydia and I'm so grateful she's keeping her company. Tris and I grab dinner and I hug Lizzy before sitting down beside her.
"Sorry we're so late. It's been a busy day," I tell her.
"I can imagine by what I'm hearing. And at least I'm fed a good meal and have company. This is so much better than before," she replies.
I kiss her forehead in response and look up to see Four staring at our interaction in the sea of members still present in the cafeteria. I kiss Tris as well and she smiles at me.
Our days for a while are just about the same—busy. The prison is opened, Amity increases their planting for food production, and the sentencing is held for those captured. The police force patrols Factionless and around the city to preserve the peace. Those harmed permanently from Jeanine's testing are placed in a newly created facility for long term medical treatment. The factions work together for better communication for the greater good. A friend of mine from school—Eugene Eckart—is promoted to leadership in Erudite and I believe he will be a good suit for the faction. 
I'm granted permanent guardianship for Elizabeth since I'm her closest relative—regardless of faction.  She'll only be with me for a couple years until her Choosing but we're both ecstatic about that.  We have a party at Tris's apartment celebrating since her larger living space is more conducive to a gathering.  We leave the door open and welcome anyone in who wants to join in the celebration.  I notice Four present.  He shakes my sister's hand and tells her he's grateful she's out of such a bad situation—that he read about it in the newspaper.  She smiles warmly and thanks him.  He nods to me and talks with Tris a bit, then his friends before leaving. 
"What'd he want?" I ask Tris in the kitchen. 
"He wanted to know if I was happy?" she tells me meeting my eyes. 
"And what did you say?" I question worriedly. 
"That life has never been as good as it is with you," she replies easily. 
I laugh in disbelief and kiss her in front of everyone.  There's hooting and whistling in response.  We laugh as we separate.  I lean my forehead against hers and realize that this is what I want for the rest of my life—her
Over the next month, Tris completes her leadership training in record time—far surpassing mine.  Jude humbly steps down, retiring without a word to any of us but Max, his successor.  I'm heartbroken at not being able to say goodbye.  We promote Tris to full leadership status and the faction-wide party seems to last an entire weekend—the faction loving her just as much as I do.  I decide now is as good of a time as any, taking Tris for a weekend trip to my grandmother's cabin at the pond.  I leave Lizzy in Dauntless to stay with some of her friends.  I propose to Tris on the beach our first day there—her response still surprising me even though it's exactly as I hoped. 
We return that night and have a small ceremony among friends and family only—some out of faction.  And then we return back to the cottage for a few week honeymoon—Lydia taking responsibility of my sister for me while we're gone. 
The years pass and the rules change over time in Dauntless—back closer to what they used to be.  Mostly it was Tris talking us into it.  My sister completes her initiation under mine and Tris's tutelage.  She ranks number one in her group.  She marries Hector and they start a family.  Then Tris and I make a few babies and we add several more leaders in the mix as she steps down to raise our children.  I'm promoted the youngest head of Dauntless when Max decides to step down.  We decide to have a real retirement for our beloved elderly rather than force exile to Factionless or suicide, letting them have someone care for them in their old age. 
I watch my children grow—my son looking just like me and my girls taking after their gorgeous mother.  My children all choose Dauntless and my son becomes a leader soon after his initiation. 
It comes time to retire and Tris and I decide to spend as much time at the cottage as we can for the rest of our lives.  We make love every day and fall asleep in each other's arms each night.  I can't imagine a more perfect life than this...