Himiko's New Friend (4)

The next morning, Himiko woke up feeling utterly exhausted. She slept fitfully due to having nightmares from her last encounter with Guki. Her body was achy and her head hurt. As usual, she woke up after everyone else and reluctantly changed into her uniform before washing up in the bathroom and heading downstairs to join the others. They stopped talking abruptly as soon as Himiko entered the living room.

   "Um...good morning, Himiko," Tsumugi said, trying to sound cheerful. "How are you feeling?" Himiko just looked at her without saying a word.

   "Himiko, I made some freshly-baked muffins," Kirumi chimed in. "Perhaps you would like some?" Himiko woefully shook her head. 

   "I just want to get this day over with," she mumbled. The others gave her a look of sympathy as Himiko headed out the front door without them. Tenko and Angie rushed to catch up with her. 

   "Would it make you feel better if we stay with you throughout the whole day, Himiko?" Tenko asked.

   "Yes, maybe if we stayed with you, we might encounter this Guki girl, too!" Angie added. 

   "I know you guys don't believe she exists," Himiko muttered. "But, yeah, it'll make me feel better, I guess."

  "Okay! And after school, we could go to the grocery store and we could get some snacks," Tenko suggested. "Does that sound okay?" Himiko nodded, showing a bit more enthusiasm this time. With Tenko and Angie at her side, Himiko thought a trip to the grocery after school didn't sound too bad. All the students arrived at school; Himiko kept a watchful eye for Guki, but she was nowhere to be seen. Himiko was too afraid to check the bathroom, and she made it vital to avoid it, no matter how badly she had to pee. The girls sat together in the cafeteria for breakfast, as usual, when the Biology teacher walked up to them.

   "Himiko, you didn't complete your punishment last night," he said. "What happened?" 

   "Um...well, I just felt like I really had to leave," she tried her best to come up with a lie. 

   "Did it have something to do with this Guki person?" the teacher asked. Feeling awkward, Himiko nodded. The teacher sighed. 

   "I'm telling you, there is no Guki. You're safe," he said. Himiko nodded. She didn't try to argue with him, knowing it would be pointless. "Anyways, you have to complete your punishment, Miss Yumeno. So, after school, you will do just that." Himiko's face turned completely white with fear. The teacher must have noticed because he added "Don't worry. I'll be here this time." He then walked away, leaving Himiko to lay her head on the table in frustration.

   "Fear not, Himiko!" Angie reassured her. "We'll be there right outside the Biology classroom to wait for you!"

   "Yeah! We won't let anybody hurt you!" Tenko said.

   "It's not just anybody I'm afraid of...just Guki," Himiko groaned.

   "Well, we won't let...Guki hurt you, then," Tenko said with a slight hint of skepticism. The school day went on without incident, though some of the students ridiculed Himiko and called her crazy and insane. After school, Himiko met up with the Biology teacher who stayed with her as he promised. After Himiko finally finished her punishment, she found Tenko and Angie right outside the classroom, just as they said.