The Not-Your-Talent Show! (9)

The girls were on last, and they took their places on the stage to set up their instruments before the curtain rose. Before Himiko could join them, Kokichi grabbed her hand and gently pulled her to him.

   "Hey, HimiCocoa Bean, when you go up there, make sure you give it all you got, 'kay?" he said. "Forget about me, the bet, or Junko, and the whole world. It's just you up there, and...I want you to have as much fun as you can, okay?" Himiko's throat tightened as she put a hand to her chest.

  "Kokichiiii, you're going to make me cry," she said as she threw her arms around his neck. "But I will. I will give it my all...for you...for us."

   "Do it for yourself," Kokichi said, wrapping his arms around her waist. "You need to prove to yourself that you can do this. That way, you won't be so terrified to stand up to Junko, even if you don't win. If you can stand your ground in front of hundreds of people doing what you love, Junko shouldn't be a problem at all." 

  "Nyeeeh...I love it when you get all mushy and inspirational," Himiko cooed. Kokichi sighed and rolled his eyes.

  "Yeah, yeah..." he said. "...I may be the Supreme Leader of evil an' all, but...a Supreme Leader always gives his Supreme Lady good advice." He smiled at her. She smiled back at him.

   "Thank you, Kokichi," she whispered.

   "Himiko...what are you waiting for?! Get up here!" Ibuki whispered to her from the stage. Himiko nodded to her, then turned back to Kokichi.

   "Well...this is it," she said. Kokichi leaned in to give her a tender kiss. She giggled bashfully before leaving Kokichi to take her place on stage.

   "Knock 'em dead, Monkey Buns!" Kokichi called after her. She nodded to him and placed herself centerstage with a microphone in her hand. She took a deep breath and calmed her nerves.

  "For our last act, we have MioMopsy...er, wait, no...MayoMaker...ugh...the girl band with the really long and complicated name!" Headmaster Kirigiri huffed. He stepped aside and the curtain began to rise. On stage, it was dark, but the outlines of each girl were visible. Kaede began the song with a slow, haunting tune on her keyboard that was very reminiscent of classical music. The stage began to light up slowly for a dramatic effect. Kaede's intro lasted for about 15 seconds before fading away into a more upbeat rhythm played by Mukuro on the drums. Sonia and Maki soon joined in on their guitars with Sayaka tapping the triangle to the beat. The stage was now flooded in whitish-blue light. Backup singers Ibuki and Mikan began vocalizing.

   "Whoa, whoa, oooo...Whoa, whoa, He-eeeyyyy! Whoa, whoa, oooo...Whoa, whoa, He-EEEYYYYY!!" they sang. The crowd began to cheer and clap along with the music. Then, it was Himiko's time to sing:

     "Hey, what'cha doin' here?

     This is my town, huh!

     You always tell me what to do

     You make me break down, yeah!