The Not-Your-Talent Show! (6)

"Okaaaayyyy...ready for day one of practice everybody?" Ibuki asked enthusiastically. It was the next day, and the girls met up after school to practice playing their instruments. They let out a half-hearted cheer. "Wow...I'll take that as a no," Ibuki grumbled. 

   "Sorry, Ibuki," Sayaka apologized. "I think we're all still pretty nervous about this."

   "Don't worry! If I could, I'd change this band's name to Allstate, 'cuz you're in good hands!" Ibuki replied. "Okay, Sonia, let's start with you, since you're eager to play guitar, an' all!" Sonia's eyes lit up.

   "Oh, yes! I cannot wait to shred! It will be so tight!" she exclaimed. Ibuki went over to show Sonia how to hold the guitar, where to place her fingers, the different notes, etc. 

  "Okay, now...try and strum," Ibuki said after a 10-minute tutorial. Sonia ran her thumb and index finger down the strings, letting out a perfect chord. A giant smile curved its way across Sonia's face.

   "Amazing! It's time for me to ROCK ON!!" she said. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Sonia began playing the guitar expertly as if she had been playing for decades. She threw herself on her knees and played like there was no tomorrow, headbanging and sticking her tongue out. When she finished, she was panting heavily and held her guitar up by the neck. "YEEAAAHHH!! I AM SONIA, THE ROCK GODDESS!!! BEHOLD MY BATTLE AXE!!!" she screamed. The others looked at her in disbelief and amazement. 

  "Sonia...that was super 'OUTSTABULOUS!" Ibuki exclaimed. 

  "What's 'outstabulous' mean?" Kaede asked.

   "It's a mix between 'outstanding' and 'fabulous,'" Ibuki explained. She turned back to Sonia. "You've obviously got this down pat, already, Sonia." Sonia, however, hardly heard the words that Ibuki was saying.

  "I feel SO ALIIIIVE!!" Sonia yelled. "JAPAN, YOU HAVE NEW ROCKSTAR IN TOWN, AND HER NAME IS SONIA NEVERMIND!!! TREMBLE BEFORE MY LICKS OF DOOM!!!"

   "I love your energy, Sonia!" Ibuki said. "But...it's time to let Muki-Pants shine, now." Ibuki went over to Mukuro. "Okay, Mukuro, lemme teach you the ins and outs of playing the drums." She taught Mukuro the different types of drums in the set. After Ibuki gave Mukuro a brief rundown, Mukuro stared up at her blankly. 

   "Even if you explain it to me, I don't think I'll be able to play," she said. 

    "M'kay, repeat these beats after me," Ibuki said. She created a beat by slapping her thighs and clapping her hands. "1-2, 1-2, 1-1-2!" Mukuro imitated the beats on the drum. A small smile appeared on her face. "Okay, another one: 1-1-2-2, 1-2-1." Again, Mukuro repeated the beats. Her smile widened.

   "This is...kinda fun," she admitted. "But what about when I have to play fast?" 

   "I thought you might ask that, so I came up with an idea," Ibuki said. "Okay, you know your way around guns and other weapons, right? So bang on the drums the way guns might sound on the battlefield." Mukuro thought for a while then began tapping the snare drum rapidly as if imitating the sound of a Gatling gun. Then her arms flailed wildly as she hit the other drums, imitating the sounds of explosions and firecrackers. It's as if she were telling a story through the drums about her experiences as the Ultimate Soldier on the battlefield. She finally ended with multiple strikes on the cymbals. Like Sonia, she panted heavily then looked up at the others' shocked faces.