A DanganFairy Tale: Himipunzel (10)

Himipunzel sobbed with her face buried in her hands. Tenkodil had betrayed her, Kichi had been lying to her the whole time, and now she was trapped alone in a jail cell while they were about to be executed. She sniffed as she looked around at her gloomy surroundings, trying to find a way out, but the more she looked, the more despair she felt.

     "I knew I should have stayed in the tower," she muttered in frustration to herself. "Ugh...I'm so stupid! I'm too stupid for this world! I should just give up! Kichi's going to die, Tenkodil's going to die, I might as well just die. I was probably going to die, anyways." She sobbed harder. 

   "Quack!" Himipunzel snapped to attention and looked above her. She saw Sir Quacks-A-Lot standing triumphantly at the barred window. "Quack!" Sir Quacks-A-Lot quacked again as he flew down to Himipunzel.

   "Oh! Sir Quacks-A-Lot! You're here!" Himipunzel cried. She nuzzled her head against his. Then, she sighed sadly. "It looks like we're done for," she said. "Kichi and Tenkodil are going to be executed, and the king and queen are going to use me for my supposed magical hair."

  "Quack!" Sir Quacks-A-Lot suggested .

   "Well, what can I do? I'm so weak and helpless. I can't do anything," Himipunzel said. 

   "Quaaack," Sir Quacks-A-Lot chided.

   "I know! I know! Kichi taught me how to do things on my own, but...I don't know what to do here," Himipunzel argued. 

  "Quack!" Sir Quacks-A-Lot said.

   "Nyeh? Think like Kichi? O-Okay, I'll give it a try," Himipunzel said, standing up. "But don't expect anything."

  "Quack!" Sir Quacks-A-Lot insisted confidently. 

   "Hmm, if I were Kichi, how would I get out of this cell?" Himipunzel thought to herself. She looked across the room at the wall where the ring of keys hung. "Well, he doesn't have long hair like me, but if he were WITH me in this cell, he'd say something like, 'Nee-heehee...work smarter, not harder,' I think. When he told me that last time, he was referring to my hair." She looked at her hair, which was still wrapped around her shoulder, then back at the key ring. "A-ha! I think I know what to do, Sir Quacks-A-Lot! The end of my hair is still in a loop, right? So what if I were to lasso my hair onto the peg that's holding the key ring. Then, if I pull my hair loop really hard, it'll push the keys over to the cell here!"

   "Quack!" Sir Quacks-A-Lot replied encouragingly. 

   "Okay, I'll do it," Himipunzel nodded to him. "Nyeh...here goes." She threw the looped part of her hair at the peg, which, fortunately for her, worked on her first try. "Oh! It worked!" she exclaimed. "Okay, now all I have to do is-"

   "You ain't doin' nothin,' girly," a huge, burly guard interrupted, grabbing the loop part and throwing it back into the cell.

   "Quack!" Sir Quacks-A-Lot said defensively and flew past the bars of the cell towards the keys. But the guard was quick and grabbed Sir Quacks-A-Lot's little body. He began to squeeze Sir Quacks-A-Lot, making the duckling wheeze and cough.