Emotionally Detached (10)

Kokichi opened his eyes to find himself back inside Himiko's magic lair and normal size. He noticed that he was still holding the spellbook and placed back into its proper space on the bookshelf so Himiko wouldn't notice that he had been tampering with it, let alone her magic. He ran out of the magic lair and into Casa V3 up to the girls bathroom where he heard Himiko still sobbing. He knocked on the door.

  "Himiko..." he spoke loud and clear so she could hear him over her sobs. He heard her gasp softly.

  "Kokichi?" she sniffled. "Is that you?"

  "Yeah," Kokichi replied. "Listen, Himiko, we need to talk. So, could you open the door, please?" After a while of not hearing a response, he continued. "Himiko...I know what's wrong. It's about the Honor Roll ceremony a few days ago...right?" The door slowly opened to reveal Himiko's sad and shocked face.

   "H-How did you know that?" she whispered. Instead of answering, Kokichi merely gave her a sympathetic smile and held her hand. He took her to his and Gonta's room where they sat on Kokichi's bed. "How did you know?" Himiko asked again. He didn't think it was the best time to tell Himiko that he had just used her magic to invade her mind. He figured he'd tell her later when she was feeling better.

   "It doesn't matter how I know," he finally said. "What matters right now is you, Himiko." He grabbed her hands and took a deep breath. "Listen, Himiko, I know I always lie, and hide my true feelings, and I don't trust easily but...I'm going to open up to you right now, alright? And I want you to keep this moment between us, okay? I don't want the others to know that I can be a softie if I really wanted to be because then they'd want me to open up to them, too, and I don't wanna do that. So...let's keep whatever happens in this moment between me and you, okay?" Himiko nodded, wiping tears from her eyes.

  "Okay, Kokichi. I promise," she whispered. "It's like you once said before: 'Your secrets are my secrets.'" Kokichi smiled at her and kissed the back of both her hands.

   "Himiko...I-" Kokichi began. School must have let out already because Gonta swung the bedroom door open and walked in, interrupting Kokichi.

   "Oh, Kokichi! Himiko! Gonta didn't know-" he started.

    "GONTA, GET OUT!!!" Kokichi demanded angrily. 

     "Oh! Gonta sorry!" Gonta yelped, and closed the door shut. Kokichi turned to Himiko abashedly and shrugged.

   "I know, I know..." he sighed. "That was rude. But...I panicked." Through her crying, Himiko let out a small laugh, which made Kokichi laugh, as well. 

  "So...you were saying?" Himiko sniffled. Kokichi took a deep breath and wiped Himiko's tears away so he could look her straight in the eyes.

   "Himiko...I love you," he said. "And I know this whole Honor Roll thing has been killing you these past few days, but...I want to help you feel better. So, please...all I want is for you to talk to me. Tell me everything that's on your mind right now, even if it it might hurt my feelings, or even if it hurts you to say it." Kokichi looked deeply into Himiko's eyes as if he were looking past them and into her mind where he last saw Himiko's emotions. It's as if he were talking to them, making sure they made Himiko pour her heart out. Himiko took a deep breath and did just that.

   "I just...I just...I don't know. I don't mean to make a big deal out of this whole thing, but I just can't help but feel like I'm just...an idiot!" Himiko cried. I just hate myself for making a big deal out of this, and I hate myself for being so s-stupid all the time! I don't mean to, but sometimes I get mad at you for understanding things so easily, and mad at myself for not. And I get jealous because you can figure things out on your own, and you're basically independent, whereas I can barely even help and think for myself! I love you, but sometimes, I wanna...just...smack you for being so smart! And sometimes, I dunno...I...I..."

   "You what, Himiko?" Kokichi whispered patiently as he held tighter to Himiko's hands. 

   "I dunno...I'm scared that because of my idiocy, you'll want to leave me," she said. "I mean, who wants an ugly airhead like me for a girlfriend? Nobody, that's who! You're probably better off dating Miu, or something! She seems like she'd at least be more fun to hang around...for you, at least." Himiko hung her head and cried a little harder. Kokichi silently removed his scarf and put it up to Himiko's nose.

   "Here, blow," he said gently. Himiko looked at him in bewilderment. He nodded encouragingly to her. "Go ahead," he said. "I can always wash it later." Himiko blew her nose into his scarf, hesitantly at first, but with Kokichi's encouragement, she blew harder, trying to clear her sinuses. He wiped in and around her nose to make sure it was completely clean. Kokichi's scarf had a big green blob in it, but he didn't seem to mind. Instead, he calmly placed his scarf on his bed and resumed holding Himiko's hands. "Is there anything else you'd like to get off your chest?" he asked her.

   "N-No...I think that's it," she sniffled, trying to think. 

   "M'kay," Kokichi replied softly, gathering his thoughts before speaking. "Um...I'm not really all that great with words, or cheering people up, but, Himiko, I need you to listen to me, okay? You shouldn't let a stupid piece of paper like an Honor Roll certificate determine your intelligence. You ARE smart. You ARE beautiful! You're patient, loyal, and a very creative and passionate person with a big heart. Some of us see it, some of us don't. But the only one who truly needs to see it is you. Himiko, you have to stop thinking so negatively of yourself, and you need to stop comparing yourself to others. You'll grow on your own time just like everyone else grows on their own time. Just because you think that I'm smarter than you, or...or...that Miu is prettier than you, or that  Tenko is stronger than you, or...whatever, it doesn't mean you're less than. If you think you're less than, it's because you allow yourself to think that way. Well, that stops now, okay? I want you to be more confident, and I want to see you grow. And I want to help you become the confident, beautiful young woman that I know you'll be because...you're my Supreme Lady. And nobody should ever make my Supreme Lady feel less than. Not me, or anyone else, and especially not you. 'Kay?" Through Kokichi's speech, Himiko's face became more wet with tears until he reached the end and she couldn't help but sob. She threw her arms around him.

   "I love you, Kokichi," she gasped. 

   "I love you, too, Himiko," Kokichi replied, hugging her tightly. "I love you, too." After a few minutes of embracing, the two separated.

   "I do want to get better," Himiko sniffled. "I r-really do! I don't wanna be sad all the time, anymore!"

   "I'll help you," Kokichi replied. "Not only me, but Tenko and Angie are here to help you, too." He put his forehead closer to Himiko's. "You're not alone, Himiko. And you never will be." Through her sobs, Himiko mustered up a smile. Kokichi smiled at her, as well, brushing the tears from her eyes. He gave her a soft kiss on her lips, and the two embraced each other, yet again.