10. Small Blade

AUTHOR'S POV:

Mikasa swung onto a roof. She noticed three trainees standing atop a nearby building, talking. She was too far to hear them.

'Why isn't anyone going over the Wall? I'm sure they heard the bell signaling us to withdraw.' She wondered.

Something then caught her eye in the distance. The building was completely surrounded by Titans.

Inside, four trainees were huddled behind a desk.

"It's all over. We're done for..."

"There." One of the trainees said, finishing preparing his rifle.

"What good is that going to do?"

The boy stuck the rifle in his mouth and pulled the trigger. The other trainees cried out in horror.
.
.

All other squads were on the same rooftop, discussing. All of them were stressed. Then Mikasa approached them.

"Annie." Mikasa ignored everyone and quickly walked up to Annie. "I understand the gist of the situation. So I'm sorry for letting my personal matters interfere but have you seen Eren's squad?"

"Yes. Three of his squad members are there, but I didn't see Eren." Annie replied, pointing towards Armin.

Then Mikasa looked at Armin's direction to see Armin, Faye, Thomas and Mina with dead looks.

"Armin!" Mikasa said, running over to him.

'Mikasa!' Armin froze. 'No! I can't bring myself to face her! All I did was survive for no good reason. If I'd known this would happen, I would rather have died with him then instead!'

Faye couldn't look at Mikasa either.

"Armin, Faye! Are you two ok?" Mikasa asked with worry.

They didn't reply.

Mikasa stood and looked around. "Where's Eren? Armin?"

Gritting his teeth, Armin lifted his head, tears in his eyes. "Eren died, fulfilling his duty! He died saving me!"

Mikasa's eyes widened and tears started rolling down her face. But, she quickly wiped the tears from her face.

All other soilders were shocked and sad too.

"I'm sorry, Mikasa. It should've been me, not Eren. I wasn't able to do anything! I'm sorry." Armin said while crying.

Mikasa then kneeled down and touched his hand, making him look up into her dead gaze. "Armin, calm down... Now it isn't the time to be emotional. Now get up."

Mikasa helped Armin to his feet. She gestured Faye to stand up too which she did. Then she turned to Marco.

"Marco, if we eliminate the Titans swarming around HQ, we can replenish our gas supplies and get over the Wall. Correct?"

"Well, yeah... But even with your help, there's just too many-" Marco replied.

"I can handle them. I'm strong." She pulled out her swords, holding one arm up. "I am going ahead! Whoever wants, come and fight otherwise die!"

"Whoa, Mikasa! What's gotten into you?"

"You're seriously gonna take on all those Titans by yourself?"

"There's no way you can beat them!"

"If I can't, then I'll die. It's that simple." Mikasa turned her back to them. "But if I win, I'll live. And the only way to win is to fight!" With that, she took off.