27. Mercy

AUTHOR'S POV:

"Armin, I'm glad I could be a good person for you." Annie said. "Your gamble paid this time. But this is... where my gamble begins!" She said madly and brought up her hand.

Armin instantly shot off the flare gun. Scouts surged from their hiding places, surrounding her. Annie nicked her finger with the blade in her ring and blue lightning burst out.

Eren stopped running, glancing back to see the Female Titan's body forming, eyes wide and mouth open in shock.

"Annie!" Eren said.

She was absorbed into the nape and the Female Titan stood tall.

Eren quickly turned and ran as rocks fell.
.
.
.

[A Few Days Earlier]

Levi and Eren were at the old Survey Corps headquarters, waiting for Erwin.

"They're late." Levi said, sipping his tea. "Erwin and his damn folk are making me wait. Our Military Police escorts are gonna arrive first." Levi took a sip of his tea. "Maybe he's constipated again."

"It's nice seeing you being talkative captain." Eren said with a small smile.

"Hmm..."

Then silence fell upon them.

Levi put the teacup down and winced. He touched his injured leg, letting out an annoyed grunt.

"I'm sorry." Eren said quietly, looking down. "It was all my fault." His fists trembled in his lap. "If only I'd made the right decision..."

"I told you." Levi said. "No one could have foreseen the outcome."

Then the door creaked open. Eren stood up.

"Sorry for being late." Erwin said, coming in.

"Not at all." Eren said.

Then Armin, Mikasa and Faye came inside along with Erwin.

"You guys..."

"We've identified the person likely to be the Female Titan." Erwin said. "This time we will catch her."

Armin, Mikasa, and Faye stood silently.

"The operation will begin the day after tomorrow." Erwin said.
.

A map of the Walls was open on the table before them. All of them were sitting around the table.

"The location is Stohess, where we'll be passing en route to the royal court. This is our one and only chance," Erwin explained. "If we can't escape there, you'll inevitably fall into the hands of the authorities."

Levi and Mikasa sat blank-faced.

"Then it'll be even harder to pursue those who scheme to destroy the Walls. Humanity's annihilation will become even more imminent." Erwin explained. "We must bet everything we have on this operation."

Eren nodded, face grim and serious.

"The plan is as follows: While we're passing through Stohess," Erwin said, tracing the route with his finger. "Eren, you'll act as bait to lure the target to this tunnel. If you can bring her into its depths, then even if she transforms, she won't have the space to utilize her power. But if by any chance she transforms before then, we'll have to rely on you, Eren."

"Yes, sir." Eren replied. " But, are we certain our target is in Stohess?"

"Yes. She's in the MPs."

"The MPs?" Eren asked with surprise.