52. Night of the Battle to Retake the Wall (Part 1 Last Chapter)

AUTHOR'S POV:

Levi, Hange, Pixis and Erwin were in a room, waiting for Zachary.

The titan spinal fluid injection that Kenny gave was placed on a table.

Then, Zachary arrived at the room and closed the door behind him.

"Sorry, I am late." Zachary said and walked towards his chair and sat down, fingers interwined. "Well? Have you figured out what's in that vial?"

"Well, unfortunately..." Hange said. "We don't have the technology necessary to analyse something like this. Just like Eren and Historia have said, it seems to be made from some kind of human bodily fluid." She looked down at the vial. "But because it evaporates on contact with the air, a detailed analysis is currently impossible. Whoever made it must have had technology far superior to ours. If the Reiss family made it, I can't imagine how they did it."

"Hmm... In that case, we should forego further testing and instead use it to further our objectives." Pixis said.

"Then who do we trust to hold on to it?" Zachary asked and looked at Erwin. "Would you take it, Erwin?"

"No." Erwin replied. "My days as a soilder are over. The box should be entrusted to one of our strongest soldiers with the best odds of survival." He looked at Levi. "Levi, could I ask you to take it?"

"If you're giving me an order, just say so." Levi said, looking at Erwin. "Why are you making it a question?"

Erwin looked down. "We can't predict what situations might call for the use of this vial. We'll have to trust in your ability to make decisions on the spot. That includes deciding when and on whom it should be used." He turned to Levi. "Can we leave that to you?"

"If this dream of yours comes true, what will you next?" Levi asked.

Erwin furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't know. I'll find out when it happens."

"I see. Fine then." Levi said. "I'll do it." He closed the box.

Zachary lowered his head. "By the way, I'm hoping to present my artwork to the public sometime soon. What's your verdict on that?"

"You're still going on about that?" Pixis asked. "If the public saw that horror show of yours, it would destroy all the trust we've built up."

"I see you still have no eye for true art." Zachary said.
.
.

At Royal Capital, a meeting was held between Erwin, Hange, Levi and squad leaders Dirk, Klaus, Harold and Marlene.

Erwin placed a paper on the table. "In summary, Eren and Faye's father, Grisha Yeager, is likely to have come from the world outside the walls."

"Yes. Just like Annie, Reiner, and Bertolt, he possessed the power of the Titans." Hange said, looking down. She looked up. "But unlike them, he put his skills to use to help people within the walls."

"If he was really so interested in the Survey Corps, we could have used his help in other ways too." Klaus said, arms crossed.

"I am not so sure." Hange said. "He must have been searching the identity of the royal family from the moment he set foot here." She turned to Erwin. "No matter his reasons, that isn't a task a single person could undertake lightly. And this same person wished to show his ten-year-old children, especially to Eren, who admired the Survey Corps greatly, the basement of his house." She looked down with furrowed eyebrows. "Before he died, he claimed that the truth was hidden in that basement. What in the world do you think is down there?"

Erwin looked away, remembering his father. "Something that cannot be spoken of." He narrowed his eyes. "No, something Grisha Jaeger couldn't speak of even if he wanted to. Something the first King Reiss erased from our memories about the outside world." He looked down. "That's what I hope for.But we accomplish nothing through speculation." He looked up. "As of today, our preparations are complete. The operation to retake Wall Maria will commence in two days. What's really in the basement? All we need to do is go see for ourselves. Is that not the way of the Survey Corps!" All squad leaders smiled. "Let all your squads know."