51. Bystander

AUTHOR'S POV:

"Hey!" Historia called out, running after two children at a farm land. "Get back here!"
.

From afar, Eren, Armin and Faye were looking at her, leaning on a fence.

"She looks so happy now as compared to some days ago." Faye said with a smile.
.

Historia grabbed the kids by their collars. "Don't run away now! Listen to me!"
.

"Have you heard her nick name yet?" Armin asked.
.

"Snacks can wait until all your choms are done!" Historia said, grabbing the kids.
.

"The cattle taming Goddess." Armin said. "Not as an insult ofcourse."

"Nice to see her already being elevated to devine status." Faye said and glanced at Eren. "But, it's sad to see that people don't acknowledge Eren's efforts."

"It doesn't really matter to me..." Eren said, staring ahead. "I don't want people to see me as their saviour though."

"Selfless suicidal idiot." Faye said and rolled her eyes.

Armin just chuckled while a smile crept on Eren's face.

Then Historia approached them.

"Hey! You're all slacking again!" Historia said, stopping before them.

"Oh..." Armin trailed off.

"It's going to be dark soon!" Historia said.
.
.

Armin and Faye were walking ahead, carring crates. Eren was carrying two bags, walking side by side with Historia.
.

"I remember Mom scolding Eren like that whenever he would slack off." Faye said with a sad smile. Armin looked at her with concern. Faye sighed. "I miss those days..."
.

"I heard the hardening experiments are going well." Historia said.

"Yeah." Eren replied. "But if we take too long, chose two will come back."

Historia looked down. "What would you do? If Reiner and Bertolt came back for you, I mean."

"I would have no choice but to kill them." Eren replied.

Silence fell upon them.

"I hope we learn more soon." Historia said after a few moments of silence. "About why this world is like this. I don't want us to have to regret the things we've done."

Two children ran down, laughing in the distance, grabbing their attention.

"Even the kids from the underground have been smiling lately." Historia said, looking at the kids. This can't have been the wrong choice."

"Yeah." Eren replied, still looking at the children. He looked at Historia. "You have done a great job."

"Not really..." Historia said, looking down, blushing.

"When you smacked him to the ground, you really had the 'I am going to destroy the world!' expression on your face." Eren said and chuckled.

"I-I just got carried away back then, that's all!" Historia shouted, blushing.

Suddenly, Mikasa stood before them with a death glare.

Eren and Historia flinched just by looking at her.

"Uh..." Historia said and awkwardly smiled.

"M-Mikasa..." Eren trailed off.

"I will take this." Mikasa said, taking the bags from Eren's hands. She put the bags on her shoulder.