49. Ruler of the Walls

AUTHOR'S POV:

Rod titan kept crawling towards the wall, burning down every tree on it's path. It was using its two hands to move forward.
.

"What the hell are you thinking, Erwin!?" Carsten yelled, grabbing Erwin's collar. "You won't evacuate the people from the city? That Titan will be on top of us by dawn!"

"That titan is an aberrant." Hange said with her bandaged hand.

"Why the hell does that matter?" Carsten yelled, looking at Hange.

"The Titan in question is only attracted to large group of people." Hange explained. "We call those outliers aberrant. It won't give a small village a second glance, but it's making a beeline for this fortified city. Therefore, if we were to evacuate the citizens to within Wall Sina, the Titan would change course to target them, bringing the wall down on its way. Finally, it would reach Mitras, the city with the highest population and deliver a devastating blow to humanity." All of them were looking at Hange intently. "On our way here, we attempted to use Eren Jaeger's power to control titans but Rod Reiss Titan did not react."
.
.
.

Eren was standing on the wagon, facing Rod titan.

"Stop titan!" Eren shouted, throwing an empty punch. "Yeah, I'm talking to you! Stop right there!" He kept throwing another empty punches. "Listen to me, you hulking idiot! I am talking to you, Rod Reiss! You tiny Oldman!" He then gasped and looked down, defeated.
.
.
.

"The only place we will be able to stop the Titan is just outside the walls of Orvud District." Erwin said. "That is why we must have the citizens remain here as bait. However this does not change the fact that our first duty as soldiers is to protect the citizens. In case we are unable to halt the target, we'll take precautions to ensure that nobody will be harmed. We'll announce an emergency evacuation drill for Orvud District so that they will all be ready to evacuate should the worst happen."

"It seems there's no other choice..." Carsten said after a moment.

"The target has the largest body we've ever seen Titan." Erwin said. "As such, it presents an easy target. Wall mounted cannons should be effective, but if they prove insufficient..." He turned to Eren. "The Survey Corps will throw everything we have at it."

Silence fell upon them and the Garrison soilders were tensed.
.
.

By morning, the Garrison soilders had prepared cannons on top of Orvud District walls.
.

The Rod titan was near the wall.
.

"We will be using dummy Titans and cannons to assist in this drill!" A Garrison soilder announced, holding a paper to the crowd infront of her. "I'm sure an exercise on this scale will be novel to many of you, but we would ask you all to remain as calm as possible and follow all-"

"Ma'am!" An old man said, cutting her off. "I need to get started on opening my shop. You better let us go home."

"You won't be getting any customers today." The Garrison soilder said. "Take the day off."

"I can't do that, kid." The oldman said.

Whispers picked up among the crowd.

"Why do we need to do drills this far north anyway?" A man from the crowd asked.

"The military ousts the government, and now this?" About man said.

"What do you mean?" Another man asked.
.

The old man was threatening the Garrison soilder by grabbing her collar.
.

"I'm telling you, this is just their way of trying to show off their power." A man from the crowd said to his friend. "They want to prove that they're in control now that the fake king is gone."