78. Above and Below (Part 1 Last Chapter)

AUTHOR'S POV:

Yelena, Onyankopon, Pixis and some Garrison soilders were having lunch at a table.

Most of them including Pixis and Onyankopon were just staring blankly at the food.

Pixis had a black cloth tied up to his forearm while the Garrison soilder beside him had a red one.

"'The day will soon come that we dine at the same table again.' It appears that day has arrived, Commander Pixis." Yelena said with her usual smile. "Thank you for your speedy work. You forbade all branches of the military from resisting and you even caved to our demand to assemble all your soldiers here in Shiganshina District."

"Since we drank the spinal fluid, there's nothing we can do." Pixis said, head down and eyes closed. "We could be turned into Titans at any moment. This evacuated district is the only place suitable to contain us should that happen." He glanced at his side at the soilder, who was holding a gun with a sad expression. "And above all, with our own allies pointing guns at our backs, our hands are tied."

"Forgive me, Commander." The Garrison soilder said, sadly. "My son and I both drank the wine."

"When did you first betray us?" Pixis asked.

"You don't need to answer that." Yelena said with closed eyes.

The Garrison soilder flinched a bit. "Forgive me."

Pixis glanced at his left, at the Survey Corps soilder who had a white cloth tied up to his hand. "At any rate, it seems like turning coat early on was the secret to securing a cozy position. I assume those white cloths some of you are wearing so proudly donate one's status as a Yeagerist?" He turned to Yelena. "Then the red cloths are for those who bent the knee after learning what was in the wine they'd drunk, leaving the black ones for the majority of us fools who drank the wine and were none the wiser. It sounds a lot like something Marley would do. Your homelands were subjugated just like this too, were they not?"

"One can learn a lot from one's enemies." Yelena said with closed eyes.

"Yeah. Like how to make more enemies." Pixis said in a serious tone.

Yelena opened her eyes. "If I recall correctly, it was you who refused to become our allies."

Pixis looked down. "I wonder if it was wise of us to distrust guests who brought gifts of poisoned wine? Or was it foolish?"

Yelena grabbed a wine glass. "You were foolish yet wise." She lifted the glass up. "Had you trusted Zeke and the rest of us from the start, the world would already have been saved." She closed her eyes and put the glass down.

Everyone stared at her, confused.

"Huh?" Pixis said, looking at her. "What do you mean, the world would be saved? You told us that when Zeke and Eren met, they would activate a small-scale Rumbling to impress upon the countries of the world that they could not touch this island for some fifty years. Do you plan to save the rest of the world as well?"

Yelena slowly opened her eyes and looked at Pixis.

"Yelena..." Onyankopon called out.

"You were all too late." Yelena said. "Zeke waited for you long enough." She looked down. "You responded to his kindness by trying to kill him." She looked at Pixis with frightening expression. "Zeke is the god who will save the world. I'm sure you've earned this divine punishment."
.

Connie, Sasha, Jean and the rest were in the prison cell.

"So now we just have to sit here and watch what happens next?" Connie asked, leaning on the bars.