64. Midnight Train

AUTHOR'S POV:

"Four years we wasted squabbling over a peninsula's sovereignty." General Calvi said. "And our two main battle Titans were nearly shredded by the enemy fleet. 'Human ingenivty surpasses and shatters Marley's Armor at last.' He read the newspaper aloud. "The press from other nations is commending the Mid-East Forces. Does this sound like a victory for Marley to you?" He turned to Magath. "Magath, do you do to comment?"

"General, I'm afraid the time has come." Magath said. "That is, humanity has eclipsed the Power of the Titans." He stood up. "While we've been relying heavily on Titans and colonial expansion, other nations have been developing weapons to counter us." He walked to a window and looked out. "As a result, our strategy has come back to bite us in the ass." He walked back to his chair and stood behind it. "For the time being, our Titans remain unrivaled when it comes to land battles. However, if aircraft keep advancing at this rate, bombs will soon fall like rain." He looked up at the ceiling and the others looked up, too. "All while Titans, the devils of the earth, can do nothing but look up and watch."
.

In the celining was a big gaping hole.
.

Seagulls were flying in the sky.
.

"Do we not have any Titans with wings?" Calvi asked.

Magath sat on his chair, again. "General, I'm trying that the era of Titans..."

"I know. In the near future, we will lose our initiative in war." Calvi said, cutting him off. "No, perhaps we already have. Though, once the heroes who crushed the Eldian devils, look at what we've become."

"If I may, General?" Zeke asked, who was sitting next to Magath. "Requesting permission to give counsel."

"Zeke, the wonderboy. Go ahead." Calvi said.

Zeke stood up. "We should resume the Paradis Island Operation and recover the Founding Titan." Two Marleyan soldiers stared at him. "As Commander Magath was saying, Marley needs to develop better weapons. However, the world will not stand by and wait." Calvi crossed his arms, while he listened to him. "Our military needs time to completely restructure. But for that, the newspapers of the world must read this: 'Marley occupies Paradis and Wields the Power of all Titans."

"You have one year left in your term, correct?" Calvi asked.

"Yes, and I'm concerned that Colt can't inherit the full power of the Beast Titan." Zeke said and Colt, who was standing behind him, looked at him.

"I see." Calvi said. "In your last year, you wish to redeem yourself for your defeat four years ago?"

"That is correct." Zeke answered. "The sick exploits of Grisha Yeager should be brought to an end by none other than me, his former son."
.
.

A cigarette was lit in Zeke's mouth. He and Colt were walking up the stairs to a balcony terrace.

"Sorry I bashed you to further my agenda, Colt." Zeke said.

"Don't be." Colt said. "It was amazing. To think, an Eldian being heard by the general!" Both of them leaned against the balcony railing and looked at the sea. "There hasn't been a Beast Titan like you in It's history. Sometimes it reminds me of the Founding Titan. Why are you so special?" He turned to Zeke, who continued to smoke his cigarette. "It's not like you have any royal blood."

"Who knows? Guess I'll be dead before we figured it out." Zeke said. "Oh... But when you inherit my memories, you'll find out my big secret."

"Secret? What is it?" Colt asked.

"The special way I wipe my ass." Zeke replied. "Hope you don't tell anyone." He stubbed out his cigarette on the floor with his foot.

Magath walked towards them. "Too late. I want a report."