22. Bite

AUTHOR'S POV:

Levi fired the gun into the sky. There was a loud, pitched noise. Everyone had their ears covered, flinching.

'A noise grenade?' Eren thought.

"What is your job?" Levi asked, looking at his team. "To just let your emotions overwhelm you?" Levi continued. "No, it's not. Our squad's job is to keep Eren from getting a single scratch on him." Levi turned back. "Even if it costs our lives."

'It wasn't to keep watch on me?' Eren thought with surprise.

"We keep going on our horses, got it?" Levi ordered.

"Yes, sir." Petra replied.

"Keep going? For how long? And it's right on top of us." Eren said, looking back.
.

The Female Titan continued in pursuit. Two Scouts reached her and she covered her nape.
.

"The reinforcements! If we don't help, they'll be wiped out again!" Eren said with concern.

"Eren, eyes on the road!" Gunther yelled.

"Sir!" Eren said in protest.

"Keep your pace, full speed!" Erd said.

"But, Erd, why?! If Squad Levi doesn't defeat it, who will?" Eren demanded.
.

One of the Scouts flew at the Female Titan and she slammed him against a tree with the palm of her hand.
.

Eren gasped, looking at the female titan.

"Another one's dead and maybe we could've saved him!" Eren said.

The squad kept silent, staring ahead. The Female Titan tried to swat the second man but he dodged.

"One's still fighting. We could still make it!"

"Eren, eyes back on the road! Keep going!"

"Are you telling me to look away? To abandon my comrades and run?!"

"Yes, that's right!" Petra said. "Obey the captain's orders!"

"I don't understand why we're leaving them to die! Or why he won't explain! Tell me why!"

"That's because the captain decided the reason should not be explained." Oluo responded. "You just don't understand because you're still green! If you get it, then shut up and obey!"

Eren gritted his teeth in frustration. Then something came to his mind.

'Wait...' He put his blades away, right hand inching toward his mouth.

'I can fight on my own.' Eren thought. 'Why am I relying on others? Eren wondered. 'I can just fight on my own.' Eren stared at his hand. He opened his mouth, ready to bite.

"What are you doing, Eren?" Petra interrupted.

Eren stopped and looked at her.

"You're only allowed to do that if your life is in danger. You promised us!" Petra said.

Eren looked hesitant.

"Eren!"

"You aren't wrong." Levi said, grabbing their attention. "If you want to, do it."

Eren looked startled by his words.

"I can tell." Levi said calmly. "He a real monster and it has nothing to do with his Titan power. No matter what power you use to suppress him, no matter what cage you put him in, he will never submit to anyone."