44. Trust

AUTHOR'S POV:

In a forest, Jean and Marlo were searching for Levi's squad, holding rifles.

"Don't you find this strange?" Marlo asked. "Why would the Survey Corps kill a civilian and then run for the hills? They're normally out there risking their lives for the sake of humanity."

"It's the question only they can answer." Jean replied. "It's getting strange too. They turned Stohess district into a battlefield a few weeks ago and now this."

"I heard they discovered that undercover Titan and even managed to capture it." Marlo said, looking down. "Aren't they the only ones who could do that?"

"Still, we had to clean up the corpses they left behind because of the battle." Jean said.

"If the Survey Corps gets disbanded like this, humanity won't-" Marlo said.

Jean noticed someone near the river and pointed a gun at him.

"Be quite!" Jean said. "Someone's at the river."
.

Armin was collecting water with a bucket, kneeling down before the river.

"Don't move!" Marlo ordered, walking closer to Armin with Jean beside him. "Turn around slowly!"

Armin raised his hands and stood up.

"You are in the Survey Corps, right?" Marlo asked.

Armin turned around, hands raised.

"Don't make any sound!" Marlo ordered.

"Armin?" Jean said, getting off guard.

"You know him?" Marlo asked, turning to him.

Suddenly, Mikasa and Levi jumped from the tree above Jean to capture them.

Mikasa held Marlo and put her blade on his neck while Levi did the same with Jean.

"Give your guns to the one in front of you." Levi ordered.

Armin stepped forward and took their rifles.

"And don't make a sound, right?" Armin said.
.
.

Levi's squad removed the gears of Jean and Marlo.

Mikasa and Armin were tying their wrist while the others were looking out.

'We wear Military Police uniforms to get by the guards, then snoop around until we find out where Eren was taken.' Levi looked down. 'I can't believe we don't have a better plan. But we don't have the time to plan. This gamble will decide everything.'

"Captain!" Faye called out, holding out a paper.

"Huh?" Levi said taking the paper. He stood up. "Let's see. Stohess district Military Police." He walked towards them. "Private Marlo Freudenburg."

'Captain Levil In the flesh!' Marlo thought.

"And Private Jean Kirstein, same assignment." Levi said, walking behind them, holding a blade. "What should we do with you two?"

Marlo flinched while Jean gritted his teeth.

"Care to explain what is going on?" Jean asked, a bit scared.

"Huh?" Levi said.

"The Survey Corps turned Stohess district to a battlefield earlier." Jean said. "And now, you guys are hiding in the forest." He turned to Levi. "Is this also related to the undercover titan?" He turned to Mikasa and Armin. "And also Annie is missing..."

"I can't explain everything to you." Levi replied. "But, Annie is missing because she was the undercover titan."

Jean and Marlo gasped.