56. Perfect Game

AUTHOR'S POV:

Flints of ember filled the thick waves of steam rising from the Colossal Titan's body as he stood slowly.
.

"H-Hey..." Connie said shakily, watching the Titan destroy the houses with a sweep of his hand. "Those houses will drop on us. You think one of those houses... is Eren's?" Pieces of fiery wreckage came falling. "Eren's house... is eavesdropping!" He laughed madly.

"Sasha, could you smack Connie?" Jean requested from the attacking Titan's shoulder, still staring ahead at the Colossal Titan.

Sasha whacked Connie on the head with one of her Thunder Spears.

"I don't think he knows our location." Mikasa said, crouching on a roof with Armin.

"Yeah." Armin said. "He's making Shiganshina a sea of flames by scattering burning debris."
.

The Colossal Titan picked up houses and threw them around.
.

The Attacking Titan glared at him. 'That bastard... This time, you think you can burn down my city?!'

Some of the wreckage fell close to the group.

"A-Armin! The fire! Your orders?!" Connie asked him in alarm.

"Hurry it up!" Sasha said in fear.

Armin thought back to Bertolt threatening him on the roof. 'I can tell. You're standing there shaking so much, you can't do a damn thing.'

Armin turned to look at Jean. "Jean, can you take my place?" All eyes turned to Armin. "I just have no idea.. .what to do... I was wrong reading Bertolt, and look where it got us. Jean! You're better suited for this!"

Jean was startled by his words, remembering the times he led and cause deaths. Then he looked to his right. "The river! Move to the river! Everyone aboard Eren! Conserve our gas!"
.

The Colossal Titan walked, his back to them.
.

"Eren." Jean said. "At some point, we'll have to get Bertolt's attention, but until then, don't let him see you." He and the rest of the group stood near The Attacking Titan's nape, who was crouching, as they all spied on the Colossal Titan. "Armin!" Jean continued, "I'm alright at reading situations, but I'm coming up empty with a plan to get us out of this. In the end, we're all counting on you."

Armin did not appear to be too confident in Jean's words.
.

"We're done cleaning up here." Dirk reported to Levi, landing on a roof across from him. "The only small ones left are the ones way at the front."
.

Many small Titans were crowded around the soldiers, who stood upon the abandoned, red-tiled homes.
.

"Still, how will we take down the Beast Titan?" Dirk asked. He's perfectly content sitting way over there, not moving an inch."
.

In the distance, the Beast Titan sat cross-legged, flanked on both sides by nearly a dozen 15-meter Titans total.
.

"Yeah." Levi said. "It seems he's a coward. Not like he's ever had balls to begin with."

"You take a break. We'll mop up the rest of the small ones. Let's go!" Dirk said and took off.

"Roger!" The other soldiers followed after Dirk.
.

Faye landed beside Levi. "Any plans on how to defeat the beast titan, Captain?"

"I don't have any plan right now." Levi replied and glanced over his shoulder.
.

On the other side of the Wall was a storm cloud worth of steam.
.

'What was that explosion? What happened to those guys?' Levi thought. 'Did Hange and the others avoid it? I've gotta hur-'