45. Reply

AUTHOR'S POV:

Multiple wagons were heading towards the Royal Palace.
.

"There sure are a lot of wagons going by." An man, standing at the roadside said, hands in his pocket. "What's going on?"

"You haven't heard?" His friend asked. "Right about now, all the military leaders should be meeting up to formally dismantle the Survey Comps!" He turned around and pointed towards the scaffold, 2 MPs were preparing. "Their commander is going to be hanged on that gallows. He should be receiving his final verdict any minute now."
.
.

Inside the palace, infront of the fake king, an injured Erwin was on his knees. MPs were standing behind him and Pixis and other Garrison soilders were beside him.

"For humanity to lose the Survey Corps would be analogous to losing our spear. When cornered by enemies, it is not a shield, but a spear, that eliminates the threat. Suppose that right this very moment, Wall Rose were to be breached." Erwin said, looking down. "Naturally, the people of Wall Rose would again flee and take refuge in Wall Sina. But the recent evacuation left us with no more than a few days worth of food. Before we knew it, everyone would be forced to fight for their survival."

Aurille, Gerald and the others were listening to him carefully.

"Walls Rose and Sina would become the two faction at war with each other." Erwin said, looking up. "Even if the Walls itself remains intact, Wall Rose is constantly battling against food shortages. The Titans may never get the chance to break through Wall Sina if the residents of Wall Rose do it first."

Whispers picked up among the soilders.

"Reclaim Wall Maria. Thats the only way to give humanity hope for a new future." Erwin said.

"And you mean to say that the wall cannot "be reclaimed without the Survey Corps?" Aurille asked.

"Our duty as Corpsmen has always been to charge headfirst at the enemy." Erwin replied. "Cowering and hiding will not benefit humanity. On rather, do you have some secret plan in place to overcome this hurdle?"

Aurille looked away and coughed.

"Erwin. I don't think you understand. We have not brought you here today to discuss our future within the walls," He turned to Erwin. "nor even to accuse you of something so simple as murder. The Humanity Charter's sixth clanse states: 'One shall not prioritise one's own gain over the safety and longevity of humanity.' That is the accusation laid against you."

"Indeed. You have refused to turn Eren Jaeger in to us several times." Gerald said. "This is a clear violation of the charter."

"Eren is necessary to reclaim Wall Maria!" Erwin replied.

"That is not for the Survey Corps to decide!" The minister said. "Eren Jaeger is a titan whose powers are not understood! Merely sheltering him within. the walls presents a serious risk. For a single commander to have total control of him is utterly absurd."

"And yet, you dared to enant a plan of your own devising." Aurille said. "Not only did you fake Eren Jaeger's abduction in order to conceal him from us, you also silenced Dimo Reeves to keep your plan a secret. This is clearly a treason."

"It would hardly be incorrect to say that you are the true threat to humanity." The priest said.

"Commander Pixis!" Gerald called out.

"Huh?" Pixis said, standing beside Erwin, arms crossed.

"The Garrison and Survey Corps both risk their lives on the front lines." Gerald said. "How are we to know that you remain unsympathetic to him?"