11. I Can Hear His Heartbeat

AUTHOR'S POV:

"B-But the place is swarming with Titans! You can't possibly carry someone while jumping!" Armin pointed out.

"Let's go!" Connie said, grabbing Armin, ignoring his protests.

'No... Please don't...' Armin watched them run. 'I'll only...I'll only get more of my friends killed!'

Behind them, the attacking Titan roared. Then an idea came to Armin.

"Wait!" He said and snatched his arm back. "Listen, I have a suggestion!"

All of them stopped and turned around.

"A suggestion?" Connie asked.

"Only you three can do it, so I leave the choice to you. I know it sounds crazy, but could we use that Titan to our advantage?" Armin proposed.

"That Titan?" Faye asked, unsure.

"It attacks other Titans and doesn't show any interest in us. So I'm wondering if we could lead it to the supply building. If it takes out the other Titans for us, we just might all survive!" Armin explained.

"Lead it?" Connie gaped. "How do you hope to lead that thing?"

"My guess is it's fighting on instinct. If you two take out the Titans around it, it'll go and look for other Titans. That'll naturally lead it toward Headquarters." Armin explained.

"So we should risk our necks for some hopeful guess?" Connie demanded.

"But if it works, we could eliminate all the Titans attacking HQ in one fell swoop!" Armin argued.

"It seems worth trying." Mikasa finally put in.

"Yea... Afterall, Armin's plan always work." Faye said.

"Are you two serious?" Connie said, turning to them.

"It's better to take a gamble than wait for our inevitable deaths." Faye pointed out.

"Let's go with Armin's suggestion," Mikasa said.

"You want us to fight Titans with a Titan?" Connie asked.

"Yes, exactly." Armin replied.

Connie smiled nervously. "If we fail, we'll be laughingstocks."

"If we fail then they could never find out." Faye pointed out.

"But if we succeed, everyone survives." Armin smiled.

"It all comes down to resolve." Mikasa said and ran.

"Alright! Fine!" Connie chased after them.
.
.

'Am I really cut out for this? Am I really fit to have a position of responsibility?' Jean closed his eyes.

Suddenly, he came to a realisation. 'No! No, now is the time.' Jean noticed the Titans all gathered in one place, their backs turned.

"Now is our chance," Jean yelled, "While the Titans are preoccupied over there! Now! Make for HQ while we have the chance!" He ordered and took off running. Marco and Sasha followed first. Reiner, Bert, and Annie went next.

'Now is our only chance. If we run out of gas, it's all over anyway.' Jean continued to run, jumping from roof to roof.

"Everyone, charge!" Jean ordered and they followed without hesitation.
.
.

Mikasa sliced the nape and killed the Titan in her path, clearing the way for Connie, who was carrying Armin in his arms and Faye.

The attacking Titan pushed a smaller Titan back. Finishing it, he turned toward HQ, noticing the Titans.